Kidney belts?

Romanyak256

PR Addict
wanting to know how many riders actually wear them and if they notice a difference... I was at beans 2 weekends ago and over jumped the table after the tunnel and pretty much flat landed and it screwed up my lower back. I want opinions before I go spending $80 on a belt if the results are only mediocre

Used to for years. Gave it up probably 4 or 5 years ago. Notice no difference what so ever and I have a bad back. I honestly think they really just hold your insides a little firmer.

I used to wear one when my back went out. You have to crank it down pretty tight to get relief which means you can ride but can't really breathe. I keep it in the rig for emergencies like trying to get home sometimes but I found a stretch that fixes my back issues better. Let me see if I can find a video or something.

post that video if you find it!

i used to wear one, gave it up probably 4 years ago. for a while it would hurt my back a little and my stomch felt like crap when id ride.. i just got used to it eventuallly.. havent worn one since. back still sucks though.

I wear one, but had a very long time off of bikes and it is a comfort thing for me. I think it helps with my lower back and keeping my insides from bouncing around so much. For me, I'm much less sore the next day...... but I'm a fat guy also so that works against me to.

This is the one I do on a two day ride or long break between motos. It's called the hip flexor stretch but when these get tight they tug on my back and cause much pain.

Pigeon-Stretch-STACK.png

I also do this one every day. It stretches the hammies which get tight and tug on the back. Basically I've figured out all my back pains come from the legs.
7c247442-b1aa-46d0-8dda-571ca33de978_0.jpg

My experience has been that they help on very sharp impacts where your kidneys actually want to move like a really rough track. Never happened much to me on an MX track, although I did wear one when I wasn't fat like Vet said, but I used them for years mogul skiing. You will never get me to say it didn't make a difference because I did it both ways and I could tell. I do think you need to be thin so you are close to the kidney though! Having blubber in the middle just eliminates the benefit I think.

Last edited:
I just stopped wearing one this year, never rode with out it before. I don't even miss it, if anything I feel better after the ride.

Holy *hit! The first picture looks like me after a crash! I actually brought up kidney belts to my son's pediatrician back when he was 4, I was concerned of his little internals at a young age. He felt that the belt could not be tightened enough to actually make a difference and actually weaken his core muscles. He recommended core exercises to tighten everything up. I used to have an achey back and still do if I skip out on strengthening my abs.

I wear one not to protect the kidneys ( I doubt they do much for the kidneys) but to stabilize the lower back. You do not need an $80 kidney belt a $15 lumbar support belt from home depot does the trick. I have a lumbar disc problem and notice less pain and soreness the day after a ride if I wore the belt.

This is the one I do on a two day ride or long break between motos. It's called the hip flexor stretch but when these get tight they tug on my back and cause much pain.

Pigeon-Stretch-STACK.png

I also do this one every day. It stretches the hammies which get tight and tug on the back. Basically I've figured out all my back pains come from the legs.

For some reason I just can't see you doing the second one like that!!! Lol

I prefer to ride with one, but rarely do unless I am in dire pain. For me, if I ride with it all of the time, I can't ride without it unless I'm looking to hurt. IMO, it helps strengthen your core to NOT use one. BTW, I have herniated discs, degenerative disc disease, and arthritis in my lower back. I go to my Chiropractor about once every 1-2 weeks. I used to get cortisone shots every 6 months, but no more.

See I've been going to the chiropractor for almost 2 weeks now, 2 times a week. I feel great after I leave, but the next day it hurts again. The pain gets so excruciating at times I can barely lift my left leg to walk (sounds like sciatica, huh) I'm honestly just looking for anything that can help. Recently started going back to the gym to shed some weight and to help strengthen my lumbar area and core. Thanks for the opinions and suggestions everyone

Piriformis and hip flexor stretch

Pigeon-Stretch-STACK.png

See I've been going to the chiropractor for almost 2 weeks now, 2 times a week. I feel great after I leave, but the next day it hurts again. The pain gets so excruciating at times I can barely lift my left leg to walk (sounds like sciatica, huh) I'm honestly just looking for anything that can help. Recently started going back to the gym to shed some weight and to help strengthen my lumbar area and core. Thanks for the opinions and suggestions everyone
Chiropractic will take quite a bit longer to keep everything aligned. It typically hurts me more for the first few weeks. Then after my spine gets used to being aligned, I'm good to go, with adjustments only so often. One of the reasons I quit about 8 years ago, was because of back. This time around I'm doing much better. Good luck. Hope it gets better for you.

Back