Aftermarket wheels

ktrop251

PR Member
I'm in a bit of a pickle. I have an 06 yz250 and an 05 yz125 both with the original wheels. Recently I noticed the rotors are starting to wear down and I'm having some issues with my front caliper on the 250. Long story short, I am considering replacing both sets of wheels. I have one set of almost new stock yamaha wheels I picked up a couple years ago.

I know I can get warp9 wheels with rotors and a rear sprocket for around $800. Or I could get new rims and spokes for the wheels that are on the bikes now and send the other wheels out to get relaced with fresh spokes and be set.

What does everyone think? Either way it seems like it will cost anywhere from $500 to $800 after labor and parts. (And I would probably anodize the rims) has anyone ever used the warp9 or tusk wheels? Good? Bad? What's the word on the street?

Last edited:
I trust the Tusk stuff. Laced countless sets using their spokes and rims, and ive also run their hubs no problems.
If you buy the complete wheel set, take off each nipple and apply antiseize then retighten. Otherwise you may have issues with some spokes randomly coming loose.

I had a warp9 set that the rear rim cracked on. Wouldn't run them over Tusk.
Stock Yamaha hubs are great though, powdercoat and a Tusk rim/spoke kit would do you well for cheap.

Hmmmm I was going to buy a full set of tusk wheels but now I'm not sure. The excel rims on my 125 are bent...hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

+1 on tusk wheel set. the only complaint is that the spokes do come lose for a long time.. it took a good 20 hrs on the bike before they finally stayed tight. i just had to check them after every few sessions for a while... like 2-3 times while at the track.. after 10 hours got to about checking it half way through the day. held up great and looked good and the price is definitely right on them, cant beat the RM bucks youll get back too. i wouldnt hesitate to run them if you're going for easy. if you're not against lacing wheels then just get a good quality rim and do some powdercoating.

also they are pretty heavy compared to other aftermarket wheels.. i forget what the #s are i compared way back when as i was curious compared to my stock wheels. on a 125 you MIGHT notice it? idk..... id say go for it.

Back