Ain’t just Ohio moto that’s dead

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
florida Georgia motocross....dead.

1 in 25+, 2 in 30+ a miserable “c/d”class and about 17 signed up for C. 5 in B......

I left. Let em keep my $10 gate fee donation. (Basically I compare the gate fee to the modern day gofundme for promoters because this promoter ain’t making any money today) Went to open practice at orlandomx. I know....I know I just contributed to the problem by taking my bike and going to orlandomx because the turnout sucked on race day.....?

Well the LOCAL state of moto appears to have the same limping around broken leg as the Ohio local motocross scene. Actually it looks to me as if the Florida Georgia is hurt worse.

Wanna know the future of moto 10 years from now ? 20 years from now ? Non existent in 20 and really crippled in 10.

The 40 class had 18. That’s the only solid foundation left. And we see that in Ohio as well, vet classes having strong turnouts. And by strong I guess that’s 15+. (Weak in my opinion—days of filling the local gate are long gone and I don’t know how to get it back) Once ck1, Pape, and many others In the 40 age dvivison leave the sport....it’ll be dead.

The new collegeboy class in the OMA is a step In The right direction. Fills gates with remaining racers without worrying much about the declining race clientele. Maybe practicing is growing and that’s fine. But racing isn’t. At the least new collegeboy class expands the age and gets racers out to race. Kind of like the 125 class(a success in my opinion) These classes get guys like me not To leave the track from the signup window. It might not introduce anyone to the sport but I think we are beyond introductions. No time and money left to dedicate to motocross in this era.

Train for 3 months race Loretta’s. Train for 3 more race mini os....train for 3 more.....the trend continues. In 20 years motocross is going to be an exclusive “race” club like the boys at NASCAR. And the rest will be riding in city streets. You’re seeing the transition now folks. Check back in 20 to see if the prediction is correct.

Last edited:
Where did you do try and race? How was Orlando MX? We were going to try it out last year.

Up here in Michigan it's the same thing but I'm also a part of the problem. I would much rather fork up $35 to ride for 6 hours during a practice session than spend triple that for a few classes and a tenth the track time during race day. Even worse... I bought the "season pass" off road sticker and put about 15 hours on the bike in trail riding. Call me crazy but the whooped out sand trails in Michigan aren't too bad at all.

Bithlo.....

Orlando mx is deep sand. I need a 450 In this s**t. It’s so deep. All my 250f does is make noise.

Carrying momentum is hard here. But I figured it out. Never drop below 3rd gear and stand up pretty much the entire time.

The sport is S-L-O-W to change. Matter of fact. It never changes Unless MX Sports makes a change. The ridiculous amount of classes IS the reason it’s dying. Promoters continue to add classes to milk more and more money from the few that do show up. Instead of going out and getting more customers. The people skipping racing for practice do so for 2 reasons. More seat time, less time at the track. Cutting classes solves both of those issues.
If you don’t believe YOUR class is killing the sport, you are part of the problem. Yeah cut a class... just not my class....
cutting one or two classes is great. BUT if your not cutting HALF or more, your just kicking the can down the road.
Like it or not. I AM CORRECT

50’s
65’s
85 9-12
Supermini
Schoolboy (125)
Big bike A
B
C
16+
Vet (pick an age. I say 30+)

And that is it.
$25 a class. 4 lap practice then 3 lap practice
2-6 lap moto’s and go home.

It will work. But a STRONG track has to take the first step. And it can’t be a one time “let’s try it once” thing. Give it a year or two

But doesn’t that still just cater to the “us” ?

How does that format rake in newcomers ? Our sport is dieing. It’s scary. It’ll be dead and gone. Dead and gone. This is serious.

If we don’t pull people in there won’t be people like me 30 years from now bitching about what we think is a bad state of moto.

Last edited:
Bithlo.....

Orlando mx is deep sand. I need a 450 In this s**t. It’s so deep. All my 250f does is make noise.

Carrying momentum is hard here. But I figured it out. Never drop below 3rd gear and stand up pretty much the entire time.

We rode Orlando back in March and it took 2 solid motos to really get a handle on how deep the sand really was. But it was a really fun track based on layout and track conditions. I'd love to go back, learned a lot about momentum there.

There was 175 people at East Fork today for practice. Half of those dudes NEVER show up at a race. 1/4 are weekend warriors that will never race or are just riding. BUT the other 3/4 are guys that raced then started to do the math and realized the bang for the buck is just not worth it.
This is not a feeling or my belief. It is fact. I know because I was with 3 of them. They ride all the time but quit racing because “my wife would kill me it I was at the track all day”.
Look, I can just barely make two laps at speed. Four and I am sucking wind. 6 would probably give me a heartattack but I still want to try. And maybe. Just maybe more seat time and done by 2 is what the sport needs to bring it back. I know it would bring back my friends.

I’m bout to just throw the towel in and swap over to harescrambles and gncc. Atleast I know there is seat time and turnout at those events.

I get ZERO satisfaction beating 3 people. Or placing 3rd out 5 riders. Zero. It’s upsetting.

3 experts talking to each other ....Can you 3 please buy a track and show everyone how to do it right already!! Save what's left and build a new improved foundation! Cut class down,Make the perfect track..Don't hold practice,Races only ..No sanctioning body just good old Moto.Thank you in advance .

Where the hell you been signing up 315? In the last 6 months where the hell have you raced/rode ? What are you doing to try and discuss how to fix the problem besides calling 3 people who are passionate about the sport experts ? I want to hear your input.....

Call me a dick but damn why is it so bad to call s**t how we see it ? What are you seeing? Please spit the truth and maybe I can see it in a different light and fix the problem. I’m visiting other states with my motorcycle and I see the same s**t we bitch about in Ohio. How is that not an eye opener?

Besides the oh yea Loretta Lynn’s qualifiers. Woo. Amateur nationals. Woohoo. Full gates. Amatuer National this. There ain’t no problems says DC. Well he ain’t at pymatuning. Or tvland. Or a local OMA. Or a local. CRA. WTF is the problem. And how
Do we fix it so my kid has a place to race that isn’t 9 hours away and considered a REGIONAL championship or AMA Loretta Lynn’s national
Championship. Or hey.....we are the AMA pay your stupid ass $50 a year fee and here’s your #1 plate. Blah blah blah blah. Bullshit.

Last edited:
Open practice is killing local races. Plain and simple as that.
10-15 years ago if you wanted to ride a certain track you had to wait for a race. Briarcliff is open so much by mid summer I’m tired of riding on JO’s perfectly groomed track.

50’s
65’s
85 9-12
Supermini
Schoolboy (125)
Big bike A
B
C
16+
Vet (pick an age. I say 30+)

And that is it.
$25 a class. 4 lap practice then 3 lap practice
2-6 lap moto’s and go home.

It will work. But a STRONG track has to take the first step. And it can’t be a one time “let’s try it once” thing. Give it a year or two

Not because my boy is on 50's but do you really think having a 4yo on a PW50 with a 9yo on a 50sr is a good idea? That would just scared parents away. Opposite of what everyone wants which is growth of the sport.

2 comments:

1. Moto is headed the way of ATV racing

2. I agree with those crying there are too many classes. I don't see why the attached class structure from good old Delta in 1987 could not work today, with small tweaks to reflect the current crop of bikes available.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 342
Not because my boy is on 50's but do you really think having a 4yo on a PW50 with a 9yo on a 50sr is a good idea? That would just scared parents away. Opposite of what everyone wants which is growth of the sport.
Well for about 20 years all we had was one 50 class and we did just fine.
The most popular track this state ever had did not even have 50's. Now I would never go there, but as my buddy J.O. always says, "Its not 1985 anymore" So why do we keep a PW class for a bike that was developed in 1983?
Want to race a 50? Great, we have that class. Want your child to ride a PW? Great, we have 912 tracks offering open practice.

Back