What are you paying for health insurance?

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
every year it goes up.

When I was first employed it costed me around $180 a month. No deductible, Out of pocket max $1000. 100% coverage on just about everything.

I’m at $450.90 a month (less all the go fund me money I might get after I actually get hurt —-just kidding) medical dental and vision. No deductible. Out of pocket max 12500/yr. 85/15 plan....

I’m not covered as nicely as I was in 2012 either. I now buy accident insurance as short term disability has been cut out if my defined benefit. So now I buy that privately.

What are you guys at ? I’m spending more, getting less.

off the top of my head like $140 a month for medical/dental either $500 or $1000 deductible (changed this year cant remember) and i think 3200 or 4k max outta pocket i think...

Super lucky here. Wife's company takes care of hers AND mine. $0 of her paycheck per month. I forget what the deductible is.

Well, once I got married it doubled. So I’m at a mon
Super lucky here. Wife's company takes care of hers AND mine. $0 of her paycheck per month. I forget what the deductible is.
unheard Of anymore.

I think my job pays $1000 a month and I pay 450. So happy they still do that.

Across premiums, putting money into our HSA, and deductible limits, my potential max out of pocket is more than a person would make working 40 hours a week earning the Federal minimum wage of $7.25 hour. Wife, son (26 in May), and me.

I guess it beats being bankrupted if I have a kidney stone.

We are essentially self insured (pay for all of our health care) unless there is a catastrophic health event.

Certain wellness checkups are covered with no co-pay or deductible.

Last edited:
Mine sounds a lot like dano762. I think $3000 deductible/person for me my wife and son. It's anthem blue Cross blue shield. No dental or vision. My boss pays 100%. This is the first year of that and the first time in about 5 years I've had ins so no complaints what so ever here

2017 I was paying $538/mo for family health care, vision and dental. 2200 deductible and 5,000 out of pocket max. For 2018 they waxed that plan and now only offer a “ consumer driven “ health care plan. $260/month plus $90/mo “ spousal surcharge “ ... $5,000 deductible and $13,000 out of pocket max. I am responsible for everything basically nothing kicks in till that $5,000 is met, and I mean nothing is covered. We are “ encouraged “ to save in our HSA account on top of the $260/mo.

Really.

I work for a multi-BILLION dollar company owned by the second richest man in the world and I have K-mart healthcare... we ended up switching to my wife’s for 2018.. $330/mo for family $500 deductible $3,900 out of pocket max.

She works for a small privately owned vet clinic.

I’m moving to Zimbabwe.

Last edited:
I pay 190 a month for family health/dental/optical with $2500 deductible and $5000 max out of pocket. I though we had a shitty plan until I’ve seen some of what you people deal with. I will complain no more.

You really cant compare plans and what people are paying. Different employers contribute different amounts obviously.

I serve on a condo association board. We were talking about one of the hourly employees hourly rate. The association pays 100% of her health insurance. That amount is $11,294 a year (EE Coverage only). So in reality her insurance is worth $5.42 an hour per year. This is a small group that legally does not have to provide insurance.

I dont even want to talk ins.....

I provide the health ins for my employees, I pay 50%.

We have seen double digit increases every single year since the ACA was passed. Anyone who says how great the ACA has been is either high or doesnt pay for coverage. This year was a 17% increase and we lost more coverage. Its sad what redistribution of wealth has done to this country. Its easier to not work and be supported by those who work.

I kinda got hosed. I can’t take the army health insurance because I took a new job at the VA. So I have to take the VA insurance which is double the cost of tricare(army insurance) and it doesn’t pay nearly as much as tricare.

Tricare is like $250/mo for family coverage. 100% covered. 100% prescription coverage. But still the federal employee blue cross blue shield plan I got through the VA is still nice.

I have a guy who wants to come work for me, and I would really love to have him here. He needs coverage for his family, wife and 4 kids. We have ANthem ins , and middle of the road plan. To add him will cost me $22,500 a year.

Think about that for a moment........

I have a guy who wants to come work for me, and I would really love to have him here. He needs coverage for his family, wife and 4 kids. We have ANthem ins , and middle of the road plan. To add him will cost me $22,500 a year.

It’s no wonder small businesses won’t (OR CANT) hire workers for more than 39 hours a week.

So to pay his trade wage (somewhere around 25-30/hr I’d imagine?) and $22,500. That’s a big investment on someone. Around 77k....

Man running a business seems like a nightmare.

Last edited:

Hershey, my wife is a broker rep for Anthem now (last couple years). She thanks you for using Anthem!

I bought a ST-Disability policy from anthem protect. $16 a month. 60% of your base salary after 30 days of being injured up to 12 months.

I bought a ST-Disability policy from anthem protect. $16 a month. 60% of your base salary after 30 days of being injured up to 12 months.

Wow... guess I’ll be happy my employer pays me 100 percent of my salary for 6 months to sit at home and be hurt. Then 70 percent pay after...

I dont even want to talk ins.....

I provide the health ins for my employees, I pay 50%.

We have seen double digit increases every single year since the ACA was passed. Anyone who says how great the ACA has been is either high or doesnt pay for coverage. This year was a 17% increase and we lost more coverage. Its sad what redistribution of wealth has done to this country. Its easier to not work and be supported by those who work.
We are in a grandfathered employer plan . Medical Mutual Cose
Our rates are 10-12% increase each year. $750 ded per person max out of pocket $1500 each or $ 5,000 family max . $2,200 per month for our family!!!! Employer pays 50% (ME)
We are looking for options but none are better priced. Its ridiculous....It seems like there are no options out there.

We are in a grandfathered employer plan . Medical Mutual Cose
Our rates are 10-12% increase each year. $750 ded per person max out of pocket $1500 each or $ 5,000 family max . $2,200 per month for our family!!!! Employer pays 50% (ME)
We are looking for options but none are better priced. Its ridiculous....It seems like there are no options out there.
Honestly for that much you should just deposit 2200 in a HSA and purchase a high deductible catastrophic plan that will cover you getting hit by a bus and waking up 4 months later to me in the icu....

The term "disruptor" makes me cringe.
Most commonly, I associate it with unfortunate event of people losing their jobs to a new automated process.

But I'm very interested to see what happens when Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway and Chase work together
to reduce healthcare costs. I'm all for them being a disruptor. Show us what combining forces can do.
The Gov't tried and it's my opinion, they had good intentions but only made it worse.
If you missed the article, here is a link
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/30/ama...se-to-partner-on-us-employee-health-care.html

I also read today where medical offices still use the fax machine as their primary medium to move medical information.
How archaic. Now, where is my IBM Selectric typewriter??

Last edited:
Back