Home Speakers

ChubbyCat113

PR Member
Doing some speakers in the ceiling in my basement. We hooked them up and got sound it was just very quiet. I'm using 16 gauge wire and I've got one speaker about 15 feet from connection and another 15 feet from it. Is there a better way to test for sound other than using a spliced aux cord?

I was wrapping the connections to test.

Like I said we have sound it's just quiet and I need some help from the techies

Attachments

• 15201908210401007184467.jpg
    15201908210401007184467.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 586

C Hudak

PR Addict
Guess there are no tech. Savvy guys that deal with wires anymore. I was kinda interested in the answer

Bill480

PR Addict
if you are just hooking the speaker directly up to your audio source with no amplifier the sound will be very quiet

also just twisting the wires together is not the ideal connection method

hershey

PR Elite
What is the output amperage of the source? Like Bill said, if your output is low it will be quiet. What are the OHMS of the speakers compared to the source? You will get the most performance when the OHMS are matched. Twisting the wires is fine for testing and non performance applications. Just be certain the twist is tight and use wire nuts.

ddmx488

PR Addict
Ditto the other questions. I have a Denon AVR-720 and use the rear two channels for speakers in another room of the house. The cable run is at least 40ft with no sound quality issues. It would be helpful to know what receiver/amplifier you’re using.

NQ1965

PR Elite
Doing some speakers in the ceiling in my basement. We hooked them up and got sound it was just very quiet. I'm using 16 gauge wire and I've got one speaker about 15 feet from connection and another 15 feet from it. Is there a better way to test for sound other than using a spliced aux cord?

I was wrapping the connections to test.

Like I said we have sound it's just quiet and I need some help from the techies

Trying to drive speakers out of that spliced Aux plug is your issue.
Wire the speakers to a real sound system.

Last edited:

ChubbyCat113

PR Member
if you are just hooking the speaker directly up to your audio source with no amplifier the sound will be very quiet

also just twisting the wires together is not the ideal connection method

Wasn't sure if I'd need an amplifier so I will try that and I knew it wasn't good connection but at least we could test them lol

ChubbyCat113

PR Member
Thanks for the help guys. Will check what the output is and first try an actual source connection and if I'm not satisfied then I'll get an amp

ChubbyCat113

PR Member
Ditto the other questions. I have a Denon AVR-720 and use the rear two channels for speakers in another room of the house. The cable run is at least 40ft with no sound quality issues. It would be helpful to know what receiver/amplifier you’re using.

I'm not using anything yet, like I said not too tech savvy but at least I found some help on here!