1978 - 1979 KX250 parts

KRH

PR Member
We’re looking for a clutch and stator cover for a ‘78 or ‘79 KX250. From Kawasaki’s parts diagrams it looks like both covers fit ‘74 to ‘79 but I’m not sure about that. I’m hoping someone can confirm. We also need a seat pan or whole seat for a ‘78. I’m told the seats are different between the ‘78 and ‘79 but don’t know if the pans are the same. This bike is going to be built as a race bike and not a full on restoration.

mx527

PR Member
I have some parts need to look in the boxes but I have a seat pan for sure 78 & 79 KX 250 are the same. Also, have a really nice fuel tank since the KX 125/250 crack at the filler cap area. 440-497-3110 Adam

Reactions: KRH

KRH

PR Member
My son, Dustin, or I will give you a call in a couple days, Adam. We’re just finishing up a project and can put some time into the ‘78 then.
Thanks, Kevin.

KRH

PR Member
Sounds like a great project!

As usual, it’s rougher than we first thought. It’s suffered through some pretty sketchy wrenching in it’s lifetime and is missing some things but most major components are there and are in pretty decent shape. The motor has a fresh, never fired, top end and it goes thru the gears on the bench. Forks are pretty nice, wheels are straight and and round and not gouged up. The anodizing on them and the swingarm is pretty nice. The aluminum tank is a little dinged up but is not caved in and I think it can be made pretty nice. Pipe is perfect, silencer is perfect on the outside but the insides are rotted out, probably from mice living in it. It just needs a bunch of miscellaneous pieces that can be challenging to find for any older KX and made harder by this one’s rarity. Since it’s going together as a race bike I’m not too worried about getting correct bars and grips and getting every nut and bolt correct and all that BS. It’ll get Works shocks, RT springs and emulators, probably a Mossbarger reed cage, fabbed alloy motor mounts, that sort of stuff.

So, yes, it should be fun.

KRH

PR Member
I don’t know where these vintage KX’s are coming from but a ‘75 KX400 fell into my lap yesterday. Rough, but very restoreable and complete with a spare motor. Has the kick stand, original dry rotted front tire, tight swingarm, wheels are round and straight and the shocks even still have dampening. It’s a great core for a race bike. It’ll be for sale at Vintage Days. Probably. No, it has to go..... maybe ...... no, it has to go.... but, if I build a shed....

Kevin

Dano762

PR Addict
Don't build the shed. No good comes from more storage space. Now if you do build a shed, I have this 81 KX250 that needs to go....maybe....but....

DanO

Reactions: KRH