Dirt bike to street legal supermoto?

Fedor131

PR Member
I was just wondering if anyone has converted a dirt bike into a street legal supermoto? Aka I want to ride my bike to work each day after I buy a new bike. If so, how was the process? cost? pros? cons? Did you get the gearing changed so it would not blow up cruising down the highway at 75+ (cost of that?). Did you add a battery? What about a key so no one can just kick it and go? Just looking for some input on it. Thanks.

i converted my 250f to an on-road title. you have to sign a piece of paper that says you made all the necessary changes and then pay $10 or so. then you can go get plates.

the rest is common sense stuff... if you don't change gearing you aren't going 70mph for an extended period of time, if you dont get radiator fans you might overheat it in traffic, etc. if you want costs lookup how much these parts cost for whatever bike you are getting. your bigger expenses will be SM wheels/tires along with electronics/lighting. if you want to get into a cush drive be prepared to spend more (but your transmission should last longer if you do).

realistically an mx bike is not an ideal street bike but you can do whatever you want with enough money.

Those crf250l you can get ahold of pretty cheap. Or yamahas version wr250 whatever the hell it is

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

I was just wondering if anyone has converted a dirt bike into a street legal supermoto? Aka I want to ride my bike to work each day after I buy a new bike. If so, how was the process? cost? pros? cons? Did you get the gearing changed so it would not blow up cruising down the highway at 75+ (cost of that?). Did you add a battery? What about a key so no one can just kick it and go? Just looking for some input on it. Thanks.
Converted my 2009 WR450 to street title and used the rocky mountain atv kit for the rest. Like the person said above, fill out the form indicating you made all the changes and they convert the title. Title to the BMV and you get the plate. I used the rocky mountain atv kit, approx $189.00, plus tires and that was it. I eventually switched to a different set of mirrors but over all that was it. I have a blast being able to ride the streets and then go on trails or wherever. I eventually changed the gearing dramatically as well. I could not go 60-65mph with out the bike screaming down the high way. I took my back sprocket all the way to 42 teeth. My conversion was easy as the WR already had the headlight and the lighting coil as well as the battery. Just hooked up the harness and bolted the rest on.

Attachments

• IMG_3361.jpg
    IMG_3361.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 343
Michigan may be different when it comes to the re-title but from everything I’d heard, if you want a dual sport you’re better off just selling your bike and buying one already street worthy. You’ll save time, money, and the hassle of dealing with the DMV.

Michigan may be different when it comes to the re-title but from everything I’d heard, if you want a dual sport you’re better off just selling your bike and buying one already street worthy. You’ll save time, money, and the hassle of dealing with the DMV.

Two people already posted the process in Ohio. It's as simple as I stated. You don't even "have" to make any modifications before changing the title over to on-road. There is no inspection.

I do agree that it will save you money in the long run to buy a bike already converted or built as a SM.

Back