Back Surgery

ck1racerx

PR Addict
well I had back surgery this morning. microdiscectomy They cut out the ruptured disc that is pushing on the nerve running down my right leg. My foot has been asleep for over a year and I can already feel it getting better. The medical field is terrible to deal with (maybe it’s just the insurance companies) but today was terrific. I was up and walking 2 hours after being cut on. Nurses wanted me to take it easy but it feels better walking around. By noon I was feeling so much better I asked to go home (they wanted me to stay until the morning). All the nurses and doctors said they have never seen anyone recover this fast, so at 3 I got to come home. Turns out I am in pretty good shape for a fat guy.
Going to take 3 weeks off work and make sure I take care of myself because come 2019. I WANT to race again. The smell of premix is a powerful medicine.
Just wanted to share..

Oh, three weeks off work means I will have plenty of time to post.

Excellent news - surgery went well
Good news - getting better feeling back in your foot already
Decent news - 3 weeks off work to focus on rehab
Hopeful news - that you want to race in 2019 (Add vintage to that list)
Point of view dependent news - you have plenty of time to post

Now, who has already winterized their jet-skis?

Seriously - glad to hear you got out of the hospital so quickly and getting over a chronic back problem. Take care.

well I had back surgery this morning. microdiscectomy They cut out the ruptured disc that is pushing on the nerve running down my right leg. My foot has been asleep for over a year and I can already feel it getting better. The medical field is terrible to deal with (maybe it’s just the insurance companies) but today was terrific. I was up and walking 2 hours after being cut on. Nurses wanted me to take it easy but it feels better walking around. By noon I was feeling so much better I asked to go home (they wanted me to stay until the morning). All the nurses and doctors said they have never seen anyone recover this fast, so at 3 I got to come home. Turns out I am in pretty good shape for a fat guy.
Going to take 3 weeks off work and make sure I take care of myself because come 2019. I WANT to race again. The smell of premix is a powerful medicine.
Just wanted to share..

Oh, three weeks off work means I will have plenty of time to post.
Glad to hear they got you fixed up and feeling better...it’s getting boring on here so get posting.;)..Dano 762 my ski is put away for winter..:(

I got to give props to anybody in the medical field. I couldn’t do it.

With age, coming back takes longer and longer. Be patient.

Keep pushing recovery but give the body time to adjust to the changes.
Anytime they go in, there’s a ton of changes that happen to your body.

Back trauma affects so many other functions

Twice now I’ve taken impacts that have broken transverse process’s off of vertebrae. Broken 3 on each side, 6 total.

Regulating body temp was ( still is) a big thing since the last one.
Digestion, defication, concentration even sleep was effected.

Give it time to adjust. Bring the core back to strength slowly and properly.

It’s all about the core bro - see ya at the track.

Last edited:
Wow sharc. Man I guess this sport forks out pain and destruction to all of us.

Early mobility is where it’s at. I tell patients all the time we gotta get out of bed. Can’t lay in it. Let’s go go go. No pain no gain.

Good on ya for being aggressive.

Glad to hear surgery worked for you. I had it too (L5/S1) and it was nothing short of a miracle for me.. I’m almost 50 and still enjoying MX, BMX or whatever I please. A younger coworker of mine had the same surgery (in way better physical condition than me).. and felt so good that a month or so later he started doing heavy work around the house and re-injured his.. fast forward 3 surgeries later for him and he walks around like a feeble old man.

Like Georgie was saying.. get up and get out, do stuff (within reason) and enjoy not living in constant pain or numbness, but DO be careful with any forward bending or lifting restrictions they give you. You only get one recovery period from your first back surgery, so make it count. The membrane of your disc (where they cut that piece off) needs time heal back together and form a strong outer layer again. In the first few months, it can definitely let loose and rupture again.. so just don’t let yourself get carried away.

Sitting isn’t off limits but it’s worse than you’d imagine for your lower back.. all that pressure on the front of your bent spine is what squeezes the disc out the back side (right onto your sciatic nerve). So focus on spending less time bent at the waist.. don’t stay sitting for long periods.. mix it up and stand some, walk around or even prone out when it’s time to take a break.

Sounds like you’re on the right track so far Chris... good luck and take care!

Thanks for that. Everyone keeps warning me not to over do it’s. I am doing my best but already going crazy moaping around the house. Sure hope this pays off

Yep.. what Georgie said.

If you woke up from surgery feeling like that, then it’s already paying off.. I remember that feeling of relief after seeing I could still wiggle my toes again but couldn’t feel the intense pain anymore.. I almost couldn’t believe it.

That nerve will appreciate not being pinched on the daily and will feel better with a little time, so there’s more room for improvement yet. Just take it easy like the wifey and the Dr’s say for a while and holding it WFO again in 2019 is a realistic goal.

Wow that is a quick recovery and glad to hear that!
I had L4, L5 and S1 fused plus rods and screws.but unlike moat injuries I had fought that one for 5-1/2 years after a kid rear ended my Tahoe on the way home from work
Took a long time but after 6-1/2 years started riding again giving it a full year to be sure before doing so.

Had the same surgery on my L4 and L5 on June 20th of this year.
Had horrible sciatica down my back and left leg, couldnt walk or stand.
I took 1 week off before I went back to work (Im a machinist btw).
Was told I needed the surgery when I was 21, was happy to hold it off till 25.
Glad your doing better bud! I started riding again in the end of August and did an Eroc Gp at western reserve.
Just did the relay at the akron marathon at the end of september.
Only thing I highly recommend, is stretch your back and legs every single chance you get. I used to be able to palm the ground, now if I can touch my toes its a good day.

Now, who has already winterized their jet-skis?
No. Ski boat and Yamaha jet skis at the lake and ready for action. But Yamaha bikes are ready too. Including a 125 with a fresh and exciting motor.
Bad backs are about the worst. Heal well man!

Had 2 of mine done back in 94. Trimmed the bulge. Recivery went well and was riding again in 6 months or so. Lets of exercise, core work and stretching helped recovery. Biggest thing is keep your core strong and stretch. Told me it would be 10 years or so and I would probably be bone on bone and need to fuse. Had an xray last year and still have plenty of space between them.

Stay healthy my friend

Had 2 of mine done back in 94. Trimmed the bulge. Recivery went well and was riding again in 6 months or so. Lets of exercise, core work and stretching helped recovery. Biggest thing is keep your core strong and stretch. Told me it would be 10 years or so and I would probably be bone on bone and need to fuse. Had an xray last year and still have plenty of space between them.

Stay healthy my friend
Hahahahaha. Have you seen my “core”. I guess round is a “shape”

Back