2020 YZ250?

mooch

PR Elite
Well, actually would be nice to have Yamaha have more updates than a new tank for 2020...but doubt that'll even happen.

One of my main rubs with the YZ250 is that the radiator shrouds don't cover the tank which means graphics on the tank don't last long before getting bubbly and nasty looking. Splurged a bit on a carbon fiber tank that allows a more modern 4 stroke tank shroud to be used. Very happy with the way the tank fit and looks, a guy in Italy sells these. Put on a heavier 9 oz flywheel and Dep pipe and motor felt better in low to mid range. Then put a v-force on it and couldn't really tell any difference. Give high marks to the low dollar Tusk wheel sets, have several rides on them and the spokes have stayed tight. Graphics might be a little low key but just wanted something generic looking.

Odd thing happened when going for the first ride after putting in a new piston, clutch parts and engine covers...The kickstarter was frozen solid. Took clutch cover off and everything looked ok. Took off engine side cover off and kickstarter gears were fine. Any guesses on why the kickstarter wouldn't budge (couldn't bump start it either)? It's fixed, but was kinda surprised what the problem was.

right side 1.jpg
left side 1.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! I wish Yamaha would just get a comparable brake set up to the KTM. Brembo modulation is just.....dreamy.

Last edited:
Better turning would be nice too!
Beyond looking great, that seat and tank combo looks like sliding forward to make that front work should be easy. And I believe mooch has an Austrian bike if he really feels like turning. Lol!

I never thought the yz250s turned terrible.

However I did change my stock triple clamps to aftermarket one time and the bike was drastically different. And I didn’t really like it. So I went back to stock triple clamps and chad reed bend renthals. Just point and go.

With the other set up I felt as If the bike wanted to stand up opposite way I was turning. By that I mean had horrible understeer. Couldn’t track an inside line bike would fade tonthe outside no matter how hard I fought her.

Maybe experiment with different bar bends and has stock triple clamps set up. Move the forks down in the tree. On my 250f I move them UP. Bizarre quirky little things but i had my 250 2 stroke perfectly set up before it got stolen. They’re great bikes.

A 450 swingarm and linkage makes this one turn and track better. You can even rear wheel steer as Ralph is fond of saying. I've always experienced a little early mid-turn push with the stock newer YZ 125 and 250. That goes away with the swingarm swap. In deference to jeffro667, I rode his 250 SX and though the motor wasn't quite right, that bike felt like cheating when turning.
2018-10-28 18.16.56.jpg

i really like my yz250... it turns fairly well if you move up on the tank and keep your weight forward.. i do notice when i start to get tired and let my body position move more towards the back the bike tends to stand up and not turn well..

Back