Ohio is collecting more taxes

John250

PR Founding Father
So I placed a order with RMATVMC last night. I noticed I was being charged $38 in taxes. So I click on the little message, and it appears ohio is now collecting taxes from retailers located outside the state. That takes a benefit away from online shopping.
FB_IMG_1543302414666.jpg

MX099

PR Addict
Yup, as long as local guy can match or get close I go with him.

Does anyone else have a dealer that rides/races? Is the first one to help people parked around him repair there bikes even if he didn’t sell them? Deliver or send parts to races for people who need something? If not to bad for you. I’d look for a better dealer before I used mail order.

DirtRamper

PR Addict
It’s a bummer.. I remember reading about this a few months ago and thinking our days were numbered. Google Supreme Court decision on South Dakota vs Wayfair for the gory details lol

NQ1965

PR Elite
Yea I remember that being talked about in the news earlier this year. And then I had to order some HVACR parts online a while back and took a big tax hit on. It sucks, because that was a huge advantage to buying online.

NQ1965

PR Elite
The fact that it made it all the way the Supreme Court kind of tells you how big of a deal it was. And I always wondered how long they were going to let it continue tax free. You just knew it had to come to an end at some point.

I know that this sounds sort of un-patriotic but I'm a huge supporter of tax evasion. And it's not that I'm not willing to pay my share for the services that are available to me and my family as well as everything else that our tax's pays for. I think that once you reach a certain age, have been paying large amounts in for a very long time, and then you witness your politicians and their campaign donors and lobbyist craftily, (or blatantly) finding ways to evade tax's, you get your eye's opened up.

And then they take your hard, hard earned tax dollars and squander it so loosely, carelessly, and recklessly as though it's a money fountain that will never dry up. Screw that!

John250

PR Founding Father
Our local City Council had an open seat last year. They had three candidates submit letters to be appointed. The guy they appointed owed about $10,000 in taxes and had been in court numerous times for it. There was an election this month for that open seat.....the guy they elected owes about $3500 in taxes and is a local preacher.

So these guys that are not responsible enough to pay their own taxes, and the ones watching over the entire city's taxes. I would not have voted for either of them to be dog catcher with their tax records.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
More taxes. More more more. Keep feeding the insatiable machine. They take enough of my money and time.

“We will get so much tax revenue from legalizing marijuana”

So it passes.

3 years later....we are broke. Need more revenue to provide services! Vote for levy 2383849 this Tuesday! It’s for the children.

John250

PR Founding Father
Georgie that is my point these days. When does it stop? This November, I voted against every single tax levy except one. I even voted against all the renewals. It is like once a levy is on there, it is not to the end of the levy, then they just ask for a renewal to keep it going. To me it should be mandated to fall off for a period of time, then come back to the tax payers to request for it again if needed.

I am at the point the only ones I support in this community is the schools. And if I lived in a couple other school districts, I would vote against them there.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Hey you don’t gotta tell me. I just moved out of a tax intensive county. Hour one way to work now. But I’m fine with that. Taxes half as much, property twice as big !

NQ1965

PR Elite
Yea the property tax is another huge can of worms.
My wife and I have been trying to help our kid's understand just how big a deal it is when considering homes to buy.
When it comes to building your future financial nest egg for retirement and your long term care for you and your spouse, it's the single largest wealth killer going.

It's shocking when you find out how much people do pay in their property tax's, and very few really tally it up in a way to see how much their paying on a weekly basis.

Bottom line is: What are you getting for your tax dollars?????

Last edited:

John250

PR Founding Father
Guy with a dealership is selling them for $375 on vitalmx. Rmatv is $389.

Yep. Most property tax go to the schools. The rest is divided up. But then where I live we pay a 2.25% income tax also. And we have terrible roads in our community. But yet 85% of the cities budget is personnel and benefits. Dont even get me started. I fought this for 8 years on city council but I might as well beat my head against a wall. They also built a $12.5 million dollar administration building and police station remodel. That same debt service could have been used to pay on the $30 million in curbs and roads that need repaired. Two of us voted against it, 5 voted for it. Never seen people not look long term. And the other 5 council members just did whatever staff told them to do. And they just tried to pass a road levy that failed. I asked council what plan B was, as a citizen now, since they refuse to address the budget. It's like deer in the headlights. They have no plan B. Their plan was tax the citizens more. We already struggle to attract the higher income families because of struggling schools and one of the highest income tax in the state, yet their solution was to tax the citizens more. Total incompetence in my opinion by our council members.

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
had to write the irs a check for almost 15k last year. didnt even get a handy out of it. my property taxes arent bad for 7 acres but.. .my road got plowed maybe once last year. gf got stuck several times - on the road, had to plow the first 100 ft of the road myself just so she could get to work lol. having no kids in the school system im not super sure what i really get out of my taxes. every road i drive on is s**t. theres no local police dept just county sheriffs.... if my house catches on fire its burning down before someone gets there to save it.

im pretty uneducated about this stuff, but im not real sure what my tax money goes to that really applies to me in my situation here.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Crute look in auditors site. It’s all public knowledge. I can tell you where your tax money goes if I look it up. Some of the s**t will really irritate you when you look into it.

Ha john250 it sounds like every county is pulling the same s**t. Lake county just put up a new administration building. Well it’s half complete. And they happened to raise everyone’s property tax mod construction. Coincidence ? I think not. The check they had to of wrote to the architect probably sucked up a lot of resources. It should be a concrete block building. Not a grandiose architectural design.

When I moved into my old house in 2011 property taxes were like....3100. They’re 4600 currently and they will jump again to about 5200 in April after the nice “hey You house is worth almost 200,000 even though your selling it for 169” tax hike. When I got that letter in the mail 4 months ago I finally said f**k it and actually found an awesome house. Kinda glad I got the letter might not of found the new house.

New house taxes 3200/yr, 5 acres, and 2500 square feet with 900 sq feet of finished basement. OH and no E check. You don’t know how nice that is until you don’t gotta do it!!!!

Lake county house: 1620 square feet. No basement on 0.83 acres. Bye lake county! Bbyyeeeeee!

jj584

PR Addict
Crute look in auditors site. It’s all public knowledge. I can tell you where your tax money goes if I look it up. Some of the s**t will really irritate you when you look into it.

Ha john250 it sounds like every county is pulling the same s**t. Lake county just put up a new administration building. Well it’s half complete. And they happened to raise everyone’s property tax mod construction. Coincidence ? I think not. The check they had to of wrote to the architect probably sucked up a lot of resources. It should be a concrete block building. Not a grandiose architectural design.

When I moved into my old house in 2011 property taxes were like....3100. They’re 4600 currently and they will jump again to about 5200 in April after the nice “hey You house is worth almost 200,000 even though your selling it for 169” tax hike. When I got that letter in the mail 4 months ago I finally said f**k it and actually found an awesome house. Kinda glad I got the letter might not of found the new house.

New house taxes 3200/yr, 5 acres, and 2500 square feet with 900 sq feet of finished basement. OH and no E check. You don’t know how nice that is until you don’t gotta do it!!!!

Lake county house: 1620 square feet. No basement on 0.83 acres. Bye lake county! Bbyyeeeeee!
I also drive an hour, 55 miles one way. I live in Seville and work in Chesterland. These guys up here pay high taxes especially the one in bainbridge but I pay more overall. More driving equals more fuel and maintenance, 30k miles a year just for work. Plus my time, 2 plus hours a day blows.Cant win.

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
I also drive an hour, 55 miles one way. I live in Seville and work in Chesterland. These guys up here pay high taxes especially the one in bainbridge but I pay more overall. More driving equals more fuel and maintenance, 30k miles a year just for work. Plus my time, 2 plus hours a day blows.Cant win.
right down the road from me in chesterland!