Neck-Brace Effectiveness

Without turning this into its normal s**t storm, that’s a bad study.

No methods, design, discussion or p values.

We won’t ever see a comprehensive study. Nobody will go do it. Nobody pays people to make videos in motocross. nobody will find a researcher to do a legit one.

This is a 10 page thread on vital. All kinds of opinions. My son and I ditched them about 3 years ago. Dont care what anyone says, it is much better riding without one

Too many opinions going both ways on them I think It depends on the accident itself.

I wear one and this is just a collection of real world data that happens to support the fact that you are less likely to get as severe an injury wearing one. It’s not a study that proves that you can’t get hurt or die wearing one (1 person died with one on) just giving real world data. I’ll continue to wear one as it’s a little piece of mind, but no guarantee of anything.

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

Without turning this into its normal s**t storm, that’s a bad study.

No methods, design, discussion or p values.

We won’t ever see a comprehensive study. Nobody will go do it. Nobody pays people to make videos in motocross. nobody will find a researcher to do a legit one.

I doubt the people who wrote that even know what a p value, confidence interval, or power even are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No they don’t. And I can do the same type of bullshit study and swing it the other way. That’s just s**t science.

No they don’t. And I can do the same type of bullshit study and swing it the other way. That’s just s**t science.

Its not bull s**t, its a simple study showing the years of injuries and the results of those injuries. The injuries when people had a brace on were on average less severe with a brace on than without. If it were a one year study Id agree with you, but 10 years..... its a track record. Its not meant to be a scientific, peer reviewed medical study but it has merit. That being said, Id never wear a brace that rests on your spine, my atlas rests on wither side and is much less restrictive than a leatt.

I crash. Get a sore neck. Don’t report it.

Someone else crashes. Has a sore neck. It’s reported as a non critical cervical injury according to these EMTs.

We both would of had non critical cervical injury but since I didn’t report It skews the reports.

I could do the same study and people could come to me and report they didn’t have sore necks after a crash and then also people with actual sore necks after a crash still didn’t report them. So I could get some fancy % that doesn’t mean jack.

It’s not strong evidence. Great they give you numbers. But that doesn’t mean anytning if you can’t account for variables such as non-reporters.

True studies have methods to get p values less than 0.05. Which tells you that it is likely to be a good study or not. So until I see that the rest is all just numbers that may or may not be “a good study”

And what were they wearing ? A neck roll, a leatt an atlas ? Have atlas been in production for 10 years already ? They didn’t clearly define anything. Could be wearing an egg carton around their neck who knows.

The body is made to flex,bend,roll and a kneck brace prevents that. There’s way too many variables for these studies to be accurate.

I think attentiveness to the fit of the neck brace is a big factor also. I've seen kids that their helmet would never contact the brace until damage is done, and I've seen kids that can't move their helmet because the gitup doesn't fit right. We have changed how our son wears his neck brace probably 3-4 times for various reasons if we see it restricts movement or if he is not comfortable with how it feels. But he always puts it on, and I believe it has helped in the few crashes he has had.

To 100% dismiss the study as bs is a bury your head in the sand deal. Have to give them some credit for putting the time and effort to do a 10 year study. It should hold more merit than "campfire talk" as they put it. Sure, it has flaws and variables that can't be accounted for (there is nothing cut and dry in this sport), but they have a pretty large sample that they pulled from.

Personal preference will always trump all studies and professional opinions, just saying it should be food for thought.

My wife bought me a Leatt brace a couple years ago.

I always notice it in my limited movement at first, but shortly into the race, I forget I even have it on.

It's my decision to put myself at risk riding and racing. Big jumps, first turns and big wrecks always scare the hell out of her, but she has learned to go along with it. If it helps her anxieties, keeps her on the track sidelines and in the pits with me, then it's totally worth wearing to me.

She's a great wife and I'll do it for her.

I have absolutely no knowledge on the newer designs. What independent test results I know of for the first neck brace out there.....I would NOT wear one. I ditched mine years ago.

Only so much, and a neck brace is to keep everything in the intended range of motion and distribute forces.

Your neck is the only joint in your body that is actually intended to hyperextend.

I can say I’d never wear a leatt. Can’t say I’d never wear an atlas. But at the moment I’m still not wearing any.

Anyone ever think that more people are hurt without them because of their ability? I mean, if you go to the races, you see way more people wearing neck braces seem to be youth riders, C riders, etc. Slower riders. As you go to the B, A and Pro classes way less of those riders are wearing neck braces The ones wearing them are slower riders, that might not be having the same "big" hits that others are having. The faster guys not wearing them, are the ones you see having serious injury, but their impacts are MUCH more heavy of an impact when it happens.

Back