Any issues/problems with ProWheel rims?

LuckyStar64

PR Addict
Anyone ever ran these and had fitment issues? I’m having a huge hassle getting them to work, and they seem baffled when I call them about it? Like they’ve never heard of any problem with their product before? —L^64

owndjoo

PR Member
I built a set from them using their stock hub kit. No issue for me. What’s your fitment issue?

LuckyStar64

PR Addict
Awww boy. First I had to drill them to get the nipples through the rim holes.... Laced them up til the spokes bottomed out, and there’s at least an 8th inch of play between the rim and hub. Phew!! When I got the rims from them, they were supposed to be a simple “plug and play” as they called it. It will likely be an unplug and send back type of deal if I’m lucky. —L*64

owndjoo

PR Member
I did need to drill out the hubs as I went with the fat spokes. I also had the hubs powdercoated so that made them tighter as well. Usually the spokes have different lengths and have to be assembled in a specific order. I don't know how many you've built before, but it was a learning process for me. I used plenty of youtube videos to finally get it right. Build ended up being true and no issue.

John250

PR Founding Father
I think the best deal out there on built wheels seems to be the Tusk wheels from RMATVMC. I know a couple guys that have used them we zero issues.

LuckyStar64

PR Addict
Ya. I’m looking to get Tusk rims for my vintage 125. I’m wondering how much thought has gone into the names of current MX products? Tusk? Moose? I dunno- but feedback on Tusk has been good. Just wondering how the ivory incisors of a very large trunked mammal has anything to do with dirt bikes? —L*64

LuckyStar64

PR Addict
I did need to drill out the hubs as I went with the fat spokes. I also had the hubs powdercoated so that made them tighter as well. Usually the spokes have different lengths and have to be assembled in a specific order. I don't know how many you've built before, but it was a learning process for me. I used plenty of youtube videos to finally get it right. Build ended up being true and no issue.

Me too. I’m getting better. Mounting tires?? Not so much!! —L*64

Vet261

PR Addict
ProWheel Issue #1
Gold rims for my 2006 RM125. The are different shades of gold and even the printing on the sides is different.
Called Pro Wheel --- "sorry we discontinued gold we don't have any other ones to send you." I ended up getting them to send me a set of KLX110 rims "on the house."
RM_Wheels3.JPG

ProWheel Issue #2
Had someone buy black ones for a 450 and want me to lace them up. Person was struggling with flat tires. Found the rim lock was bulging out the sides of the rims and letting the tires slip. I've seen people snap rim locks tightening them before rims bulged out.

ProWheel Issue #3
RM250 wheels. Rear wheel the spokes stuck out the bottom of the nipples by about 1/8" after assembly. Verified all parts were correct, they suggested just grinding the excess off, which I did, and I was then pissed about it every time I looked at the wheel.

John250

PR Founding Father
Wow. Sounds like the lesson for the day is....dont buy Pro Wheels. Sounds like their quality and specs are horrible.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
I think the best deal out there on built wheels seems to be the Tusk wheels from RMATVMC. I know a couple guys that have used them we zero issues.
I use oem yz250f hub with tusk rims and spokes on my 144. Delbalso laced them for me. They’re solid. And can Take a beating.

I beleive I had a set of prowheel rims on a bike
I bought off Cameron. Flat landed over the single before that step up triple thing at malvern and they bowed out on the rim lock......huge flat spot.

Now my tusks I hit a guys peg. Lost 3 consecutive spokes on lap 1 and didn’t realize until I saw it in the staging area for my next moto. I hit the triple by the road every lap and I don’t recall it being the smoothest and they didnt explode or even bend. Replaced the 3 spokes and still use that on the bike now.

LuckyStar64

PR Addict
The name seems good, they look good, but apparently- they’re junk! Looks like Tusk for my vintage bike, and anodized stock for my trail thrasher then. Damn do I hate crap products!! AmateurWheel.... —L*64