Best kept motocross steering secret!

Gary_Semics

PR Member
Through most motocross corners, you are steering with the front wheel. I say most because sometimes, riders are steering with the rear wheel by using the rear brake or throttle. When steering with the front wheel, most riders don’t really know how they are doing it. That’s hard to believe, right, but it’s true. Okay then, before reading any further, take a minute and think through how you steer with the front wheel. Now, read on and find out this one very important part of steering. Most riders think that you just lean the bike over and kind of hold the handlebar through the corner. But they would be wrong. In order to have the most control and use the least amount of physical energy you should know this one simple fact! Use your inside arm to steer, not your outside arm!

I would guess that 98% of riders weight the bars while steering and to make matters even worst, they weight both sides evenly. Weighting the bars is the first mistake. They should be supporting as much of their weight as possible on the foot pegs first, the seat second and the least amount on the handlebars. When they support they’re weight on the bars, they are making the bike top heavy. Obviously, this is not good for how the bike handles. It’s also not good for the upper body of the rider to handle the bike. This is because the upper body should remain loose, so it can move and balance the bike and maintain the body’s center of balance. The legs and core should be the stabilizers, not the arms! Through my motocross schools, I coined the phrase, “Tight Legs, Loose Arms” as a reminder. When they are weighting the bars evenly they are losing the ease and accuracy of steering with the inside bar. It only takes a very small amount of weight, pushing down, on the inside bar to make the bike turn more, and even less weight to make it maintain steering through a corner. This should be happening while the outside arm just holds the proper upper body framework and controls the positions and movements of the upper body. When you begin practicing this unique technique, it’s best to start with an easy flat, smooth corner, while going well below your max speed. After you get good at it, you’ll find it’s useful in all types of corners, even rough corners.

Before you begin practicing this secret corning technique, you should watch this short video on this very subject. It is number 5 of the “Seven most common cornering mistakes relating to body positions and movements”. This entire new video and many others are only available in my VOD Streaming and Downloading subscriptions. There you will have instant access to over 37 hours of techniques/training videos and many PDF files with illustrating photos. Download the free Intelivideo app and watch them on any Smart TV, Mobile Device or browser (without the app)! Learn more by clicking, Gary Semics Motocross Techniques/Training VOD Streaming and Downloading.

Back