Homage to Honda Hills

NQ1965

PR Elite
Reading past posts in the Tracks of yester-year thread, I was on You Tube and this video popped up. Was going to just add it to that thread, but this is really good footage (that I've never seen before), so I couldn't help but to think that this deserves a post of it's own.

The video really shows how big of an event this was. Huge crowd.

Mike Hartwig - 1973 Linnville, Ohio, Honda Hills Trans AM

Jim Sheldon

NQ1965

PR Elite
These vid's were published to You Tube in 2012, so someone please let me know if someone's posted these on here before and I'll delete the thread.
I've still got a pretty good memory, but it's getting a little cluttered and I forget where and when I put stuff.:D

k01

PR Elite
These vid's were published to You Tube in 2012, so someone please let me know if someone's posted these on here before and I'll delete the thread.
I've still got a pretty good memory, but it's getting a little cluttered and I forget where and when I put stuff.:D
Posted a long time ago I believe.

k01

PR Elite
That rocky up hill in the back of HH was brutal
That was up, down and up. First "real" track I rode on. Don't remember if my spokes were too loose to continue or we finally ran out of gas but I do remember barely being able to walk the next day.

Last edited:

NQ1965

PR Elite
The one time I rode there as a kid, I'm thinking around 1978 the track direction was counterclockwise (vs clockwise as was later ran by Scott and Deidre), I remember a whoop section up on the top, like under the bridge, and the ski jump was being utilized.
It was my first time actually riding on a real track. I had only seen pictures of tracks from reading my magazines, but man was it a thrill. I remember my buddy Terry and I going home thinking Wow...what a blast!

Growing up in Newark, I turned 8 in the summer of 1973, and I do recall hearing people talk about Honda Hills on occasion from back then. And I do remember there were a lot dirt bikes around after that time.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Was never a fan of Honda Hills. The cow crap they had 2 feet deep in the corners would ruin white gear. And the fact Jon Agin would blow me away every time I went there...
last memory I have of the place was in 90 or 91. They had Friday nite races. Decided at the last minute to go to one. Packed up, drove two hours. Fell in the second corner and rode my but off to come back to 3rd. Thought, well I will make some money in moto 2..... yeah, it was a one moto format... ‍♂️
Realized that sitting in the pits and watching everyone load up and leave. I was like WTF, why are they leaving.
Go Roy Go

NQ1965

PR Elite
Here’s a lap at Honda Hills in 89-90ish 125B, then COCR and Columbus indoors. I get a kick out of Roy Randlett’s? fan club!

That's actually a pretty good video as well, with the track direction still running counter-clockwise. Seeing that video makes me want to get a mid-eighties 125, and lose about 30lbs.

NQ1965

PR Elite
Was never a fan of Honda Hills. The cow crap they had 2 feet deep in the corners would ruin white gear. And the fact Jon Agin would blow me away every time I went there...
last memory I have of the place was in 90 or 91. They had Friday nite races. Decided at the last minute to go to one. Packed up, drove two hours. Fell in the second corner and rode my but off to come back to 3rd. Thought, well I will make some money in moto 2..... yeah, it was a one moto format... ‍♂️
Realized that sitting in the pits and watching everyone load up and leave. I was like WTF, why are they leaving.
Go Roy Go

That is interesting about the material they are running on the track. Looks like they had a heavy layer of topsoil of some sort. That's better than what I ever saw, which was just hard pack clay and rocks.

I forgot about the Friday Night Series. I didn't have bikes at that time, but a buddy of mine had his son racing the series and my wife and I would go out and watch. It was cool seeing them race under the lights.

I hear your complaints, but you have to admit the track had great elevation changeups and flow. Better than racing a flat field with man made jumps.

John250

PR Founding Father
I remember going up the start straight into the first turn, and then on their straights you could here the rocks hitting your forks. That track was actually pretty rocky in parts. And the cow crap, saw dust mixture they put down sucked. Chris is right about that.

There used to be guys that could ride fast at Honda hills. Sliding through those corners, but if you got them to any other track, they were not near that fast.

I also remember getting caught jumping their forward falling gate a couple times.

Reactions: k01

nitrofish

PR Addict
Lol. I saved the dirt from July 24th, 1986.

Attachments

• A770EFCA-22DE-45F8-883C-2D1C9DE69223.jpeg
    A770EFCA-22DE-45F8-883C-2D1C9DE69223.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 302