AMA - Vintage Motorcycle Days 2019.......Let's Roll!

NQ1965

PR Elite
Kind of a late reminder on this, but if you move quickly ?
AMA Member Services memberservices@ama-cycle.org

Member exclusive pricing means 25% off your Weekend Pass and even steeper discounts on single-day passes. The deadline is quickly approaching!

NQ1965

PR Elite
As usual I'm way behind in getting stuff put together for this, but I'm trying.
Very busy with work and ball season but I have had a couple bikes out and began wrenching and working on the parts shopping list.

My Friday ride for the Cross Country race, the KDX175 which performed awesome last year, has been pulled out and begun the top-to-bottom check out. Really wanted to tear it back down again after last years Vintage Days, but just couldn't get to it. I made a promise to my Team Green Racer that I would give it more love this year!

Last year my Saturday vintage racer, Yamaha MX250 (Poor Tom), set sidelined due to another "Hard Lessons Learned" mistake, lost PVL ignition stator due to water in my side case. So that was ordered last Friday and arrived in my mail box on Monday. Try and get it breathing fire again this weekend.

My Sunday racer, 84 YZ250 I haven't got to yet but moving it up the priority list quickly.

And last but not least, trying to get my 82 YZ250 gone through to put up for sale. It's time to start looking over the fleet to see what projects I can realistically get done in the foreseeable future.

Looking forward to seeing everybody again and chalking up another fantastic weekend of motorcycle fun and racing.

smitty

PR Addict
ordered tickets yesterday,rig is ready,got to fire up the CT70 ,may bring new BSA250 to run around on as well kinda break in time for it,no more racin for me

NQ1965

PR Elite
July 1st is the cutoff date for Pre-Registration for race class's.
Save yourself $10/class.

Found this interesting:
Looking back at last years Friday Hare Scrambles race results, in Evolution 3, between the two class's ( 50+A and 50+B/C ) there were twenty five "50+"riders total.

Evolution 1, 50+............. 11 riders
Evolution 2, 50+............. 16 riders
Evolution 3, 40+............. 9 riders
Evolution 3, 60+............. 22 riders

Non-Current 30+ ............ 8 riders
Non-Current 40+ ............ 25 riders

Vintage 40+ .................. 3 riders
Vintage 50+A ................. 8 riders
Vintage 50+ B/C.............. 8 riders
Vintage 60+ ................... 18 riders

And these numbers don't reflect how many 40+, 50+, and 60 year old riders were in other non-age based class's.

The race organizers did improve the layout some last year by having the race start/staging and scoring on the west side of the gravel drive instead of starting on the motocross track.

I recall it got a little brutal in a couple of wood sections. There was a creek bed that we rode up through that was all rocks, and you had a small bank climb to the left to exit out. We were piled up pretty thick in there. I was T-boned by a rider and was pinned under my bike and everybody was fighting to get loose and out of there. Then we had a couple creek banks/hill climbs that became bottlenecked by riders getting hung up.

With this rain pattern that we have going, (which is real similar to last year) it should get knarly. :eek:

NQ1965

PR Elite
For Hare Scramble's they separated out the "Evolution 3" 50+ group into three separate class's this year, A, B, and C.
I wasn't exactly sure if I was going to do the 50+ class again this year or switch to another class, but then after some thought, it really doesn't even matter. There are so many riders in the woods at that time, you never know who you are chasing or being passed by or what class they're in. And more than once I've been crashed by someone not in my class.
I just race my ass off, and hope to finish.
The AMA photographers always get some pretty cool photo's to look at afterward as well, so that's a plus.

VMD_3490-X2.jpg

VMD_3262-X2.jpg

D

DTS

I’ve got a friend looking for a 250 two stroke.. anyone looking to unload a bike before the race weekend?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dano762

PR Addict
I’ve got a friend looking for a 250 two stroke.. anyone looking to unload a bile before the race weekend?

I do. I have a 1983 RM250 or 1981 KX250. Either could be ready before Mid-Ohio.

The KX has an Ohlins rear shock. The shock needs serviced with new seals before racing. It is nice.

4936-1424289189-54f161de830b3df3ff74b281110b9b8b.jpg

4874-1423530923-bdab4d48aa4f6d232c6bc20900134415.jpg

Let me know if interested and I can get pictures of the 83 RM.

DanO762

The KX has an Ohlins rear shock. The shock needs serviced with new seals before racing. It is nice.

DanO762

DanO762
I am interested in seeing the RM also...

NQ1965

PR Elite
Love that KX!
I've also got an 1982 YZ250 that I am going through to sell. Couple small issues to square away yet. Not sure I will have time to get done before Vintage Days.

Dano762

PR Addict
Mike's bike is truly ready to go - race ready and dialed. He does very nice work.

If you are new to vintage racing, Suzuki's are a popular and good way to go. OEM new parts availability from the Suzuki is still very good and EBAY is loaded with about anything you would need. The bonus is RMs are fast, reliable, and have a truly remarkable rear suspension called "Full Floater".

There are far fewer KXs at races - these years have strong low RPM power and less top end. The 81 KX250 is a tall bike with a seat height over 39 inches. Older KX OEM parts availability is tough. They were produced in far fewer numbers, and you can hunt on EBAY for a long time to find parts.

I'll dig out my 83RM and take some photos but it is not nearly as race ready as Mike's bike.

DanO

Last edited:
D

DTS

Morris646 is the friend who’s looking. I’ll have him check this post again, thanks guys!

NQ1965

PR Elite

DanO762

We all sell bikes from time to time, but I think one day you will have regrets for letting the KX250 go DanO.

One of the decisions that I surprised myself with lately was on this very issue.
I received the ignition parts to get my Yamaha MX250 running again, got installed and got to hear it run again a week ago. Later that evening the thought occurred to me that when I get to this time of year, that I'm always in a damn rush pushing to get everything in order, and I don't always enjoy that part.
I never really just take time to simply enjoy them, but always prepping it for a race. Afterward, they get stuffed back away, until the next race. And often it's time for another tear down and rebuild.

Well I decided to do things a little different this year. I love my MX250. I rebuilt that bike from the frame up. And the bike still has many original parts, like the fuel tank, and handlebars. I don't want to damage those parts. I have raced that bike a lot. I have a ton of racing photographs and videos on that bike, and the plaques that the bike earned me. I made the decision that it's time to sideline and preserve the bike. Give it a really good clean up and tidy up a few things that I want to correct or change on the bike. And then..... Simply enjoy it, without beating the hell out of it on the race track!

I decided that it's time to build another Saturday bike. I have three candidates in the barn waiting to be pulled out and started on. And I'm actually excited about it again.

And if I didn't have bike's in staging for the rebuild line, I would be adding a really nice 81 KX250 to keep my KDX company in the Team Green stable. (and Dano would later be saying.... Damn, wish I'd never sold that one!):D

Last edited:

Dano762

PR Addict
Mike,

You might be right...but I am simplifying. I have stopped keeping watch on Craigslist and accumulating old bikes - haven't bought anything in quite a while. I looked at a 1984 RM125 this spring and walked away from a nice bike - that was good.

Over the winter, I built an '01CR out of one of those $450 bargain finds from years ago and have ridden more this spring than I have in years.

Morris, included are pictures of the 83 RM250 and an 85 RM125. They are not race ready but decent. The 250 has a fresh top end. Its shock lacks dampening (bouncy, bouncy) and needs rebuilt before it would be safe to race. Cosmetics are fair.

The 85 RM125 is fairly original and runs fine. Rims are very, very nice. The downside to it is that kid that bought from the original owner sprayed it with some type of black rhino like coating. I had visions of bringing these to race ready someday.

IMG_3389.JPG

IMG_3391.JPG

IMG_3401.JPG

IMG_3404.JPG

DanO

Reactions: DTS

NQ1965

PR Elite
Wow.....Nice Mike!
Some bikes, you just have to keep.

I Loved the KD's.
When I was 10 years old and we moved out to our new house in the country (1976), my new neighbor friend Terry (crime partner :D), had a Honda min-trail. Shortly afterward his Dad traded it in on a new KD100, just like this one. We rode the snot out of that bike.
lv0117-262677_5@2x.jpg

Some time ago I spotted on the internet that they made a KD175 as well. Now I Gotta Have One!
bikepics-1960502-full.jpg

And then his Dad later bought him a KE125 Street/Trail. It soon occurred to my buddy that if he wore a helmet and snagged the plate off of his older brothers street bike, that he could ride the street legal bike into town without being noticed that he was only 14yrs old. He got picked up twice, and had his license suspended twice before he was even 16, haha.
kawasaki-ke125-1982-4.jpg

and then our next door neighbor, who was the same age as my brother, (3yrs older), had the yellow tank model when we first got there. His Dad then went and traded it in on his Montesa 250.

2009-06-8+019.jpg

NQ1965

PR Elite
View attachment 60971 View attachment 60970
Call me crazy! I saved the KD . She runs good !
Not sure what I’m going to do with it!!!
That's the bike that you always have in the corner, ready to fire up and go wherever you want to go. It's the bike you hop on when you want to run down the street to your buddy's house. It's the pitbike at the races or favorite weekend event. It's the one bike that the kid's always remember, and look forward to tooling around on themselves. It ain't pretty, ain't special, but it's reliable and fun. And it's a classic.
Another bike that says, "Back in the Day ………….."

Vet261

PR Addict
Pre-entry closes today.

I skipped last year with too much going on. I entered this year on my 2006 RM125 in their new REV 2 classes.

Reactions: DTS

DelBalso28

PR Addict
So far I’m registered for Evo 1 open on a 78 yz400, Evo 2 250 on a 79 yz250, and I have my top end getting sized at Cometic now to hopefully run my 78 YZ125 in the Evo1 125 class. We’ll see on that one.

Last year I was only there for Saturday, this year I’ll be there Fri-Sunday. Can anyone tell me if I’m able to stay in my smaller toyhauler in the racer pit area, or at least the tent camping area?
I couldn’t find much info online, but it seemed that the tent areas allowed campers? I’m not trying to handout $200+ for an rv spot when all I need is a primitive area.

Either way, can’t wait for the weekend!
A7039F8D-95CB-4C66-91BE-B8A8750BC2BD.jpeg