AMA - Vintage Motorcycle Days 2019.......Let's Roll!

So far I’m registered for Evo 1 open on a 78 yz400, Evo 2 250 on a 79 yz250, and I have my top end getting sized at Cometic now to hopefully run my 78 YZ125 in the Evo1 125 class. We’ll see on that one.

Last year I was only there for Saturday, this year I’ll be there Fri-Sunday. Can anyone tell me if I’m able to stay in my smaller toyhauler in the racer pit area, or at least the tent camping area?
I couldn’t find much info online, but it seemed that the tent areas allowed campers? I’m not trying to handout $200+ for an rv spot when all I need is a primitive area.

Either way, can’t wait for the weekend!
View attachment 61038

Is that a pic of the YZ400 ripping there?
In my earlier post I mentioned of building me another Saturday bike for next year. One of the candidates in my barn for that is a 78 YZ400 that I bought from another Pitracer member a couple years back. Anxious to get started on it.

Is that a pic of the YZ400 ripping there?
In my earlier post I mentioned of building me another Saturday bike for next year. One of the candidates in my barn for that is a 78 YZ400 that I bought from another Pitracer member a couple years back. Anxious to get started on it.

Yep, that’s the only bike I raced last year. That thing rips! There’s nothing fancy done to it either, it’s just a solid bike for the year.

Another year in the books, another great time and lots of memories.

Yes it rained every day. Yes it was a quagmire in much of the pits and most of the racing. Can't wait for next year!

I don't think I will ever get the memory of the outlaw oval mud pit racing out of my mind:
Crown Victoria with monster mudder tires vs new (white) Toyota 4Runner vs Yamaha Wolverine 4 seater side x side with 3 old dudes in it. It was like something straight out of Dukes of Hazzard.

Doing the "lap for history" on the entire road course on the Zuma was fantastic! 3 laps on the road course pinned, which was 25-30mph in the uphill sections and needle buried past the max 40mph mark on the downhills!

Yes it rained every day. Yes it was a quagmire in much of the pits and most of the racing. Can't wait for next year!

Well put John.
Most will think that I have rocks in my head, but I've come to think the always looming threat of rain and thunderstorms makes up part of the adventure of the weekend. Makes a fair-weather weekend seem too easy and boring. We've seen a lot of rain on Vintage Days weekends before, but I don't think Nancy and I have seen the quantities of rain and definitely the mud as we had this time?

Pic's and follow ups to come.

Last edited:
Yep, that’s the only bike I raced last year. That thing rips! There’s nothing fancy done to it either, it’s just a solid bike for the year.

Were you wearing black gear with gold lettering yesterday? If so, I was right behind you in gate staging yesterday.
Last year it seemed like I saw like twenty five YZ490's at Vintage Days. This year it was YZ400's and YZ465's everywhere. Great to see guys keeping these bikes alive with so few parts available.
Them big bores certainly had the advantage early in the day yesterday.

I don't think I will ever get the memory of the outlaw oval mud pit racing out of my mind:
Crown Victoria with monster mudder tires vs new (white) Toyota 4Runner vs Yamaha Wolverine 4 seater side x side with 3 old dudes in it. It was like something straight out of Dukes of Hazzard.

Or the 4 wheel drive silver mini van that got stuck on the track and was roosted repeatedly before getting out. Or the naked guy riding on the track late Saturday night. Some of the best entertainment I've seen since last VMD.....

I have to admit I really didn't take any pics. I think all the years of slogging the track each weekend as a "track photographer" in the mid 2000's has taken its toll on my desire to take photos.

Here are my select few. These are all nice, sunny shots --- it was sunny and blazing hot much of the weekend, broken up each day by some thunderstorms and pouring rain just to keep everything gooey.

Thursday morning 8:30am. Sitting in line waiting for gates to open at 9am. This event feels like it's getting bigger every year lately.
20190704_084421.jpg

Camp Kreps/Babet/Sinclair. We were high-n-dry all weekend in this grassy corner, surrounded by Lake Quagmire.
20190704_170436.jpg

Kreps/Babet Moto Outlet. I sold 3 bikes!
20190704_170428.jpg

Waiting in staging for the Lap for History that I previously mentioned. Kari has a helmet too just didn't have it on for the pic. This was SUPER fun to do and gives you a whole new appreciation for the road racers that are screaming around in triple digits.
IMG_20190706_103946_654.jpg

So kinda weird but cool....as we were getting the checkered flag and pulling off the road course my odometer on the Zuma turned EXACTLY 1800.0 miles!
20190706_113215.jpg

Even for people that have no interest in competing, this weekend camping event is one of the most fun I have ever attended. Just pure motorcycling bliss all weekend with crazy JackASS/Dukes of Hazzard elements tossed in.

The AMA and Mid-Ohio have to be extremely pleased with the turnout. I think they have made a full recovery from the economic downturn of a few years ago. The AMA gets a big thumbs up again, the weekend was a blast. Also Thanks to any and all volunteer organizations that helped out over the weekend, like the Christian Motorcyclist Association (CMA) for their help with the races.

Also a HUGE thanks to John and Nick DeVito (MissTheFlip) who gave us the heads up on the time change for the Hare Scramble race. If it weren't for them I would of been lined up at Noon for a race that ran at 10AM. For me that was one of them "Hard Lessons Learned" that I happily avoided this year, but would of been pissed about as the time change completely caught me and Nancy off-guard. Always pay close attention to all of the details!

The chaos of our weekend actually started earlier in the week just cramming to get stuff done and ready for Friday. And beings that we are Day-Trippers that go home each night, once we hit the Ross Road gate, it get's extremely busy, and doesn't let up until today. Then when you have unexpected occurrences and changes during the weekend, it just adds to the stress of it all.

We knew as soon as we got to Lexington Friday morning that the Hare Scramble was going to be a doozy. We didn't get any rain in Newark/Heath area that night, but saw all the standing water at the track, just knew...this won't be easy! It's never a good sign when the starting line field is mud and standing water, but we've been here before, knew what to expect, sucked it up and got to work.

Considering the weather challenge, I will be the first again to give credit to the AMA crew, the Hare Scramble track was actually a hell of a lot of fun this year. They clearly made necessary track adjustments to give us a track that flowed well and that wouldn't cause too many bottlenecks. For the amount of mud, water, and high creeks, riders were on the move. The majority of the track was still the same as previous courses, but they added in some really cool sections that I've not seen before. There was a particular huge wide open 4th gear long down hill section that was cool as hell and a nice change up.

The biggest difficulty encountered was actually not the track this year. I believe I can speak for us all that it was the heat and humidity. I managed 4 laps, but had my mind made up that if I didn't see checkers when I came through the scoring tent, I was going to have to pull off. I could feel the heat exhaustion signs coming on. Luckily, I got a checkered flag.

Before:
IMG_1271.JPG

After:
IMG_7129.JPG

And my Granddaughter's disappointment in me for scoring 2nd Place in my class, instead of 1st, haha.
IMG_1273.JPG

Even though I vowed to do another teardown that I didn't get to again this year, the KDX ran amazing.
This bike has always been a perfect fit for me for Vintage Hare Scrambles. I Love this Machine!
IMG_1285.JPG

One of the knarlier track sections that gave many of the riders fits. What you can't see in the photo, is the creek crossing at the bottom of the hill and rutted creek bank on the other side. There were three path's to come down this hill. I guess guys were crashing regularly to the bottom.

IMG_7120.JPG

I'll try to get some Sunday motocross stuff up tomorrow.

Last edited:
Were you wearing black gear with gold lettering yesterday? If so, I was right behind you in gate staging yesterday.

Yep that was most likely me. I ran the 79 yz250 Sunday in the Evo2 class.
I had tons of great competition all weekend along with a few bike issues to iron out for the next event. I did get to run all 3 bikes this year which really kept me busy. Each bike definitely had to be ridden differently. Heck I just about looped the 400 off the start after coming off the 125. That thing has some power behind it. I had four great 2nd place motos Saturday and was able to go 1-1 Sunday to grab a championship. My dad also grabbed a no1 in the Evo 50+ class, so that was awesome to do that with him.

I was very surprised how well the track turned out both Saturday and Sunday with all of the rain. Pretty perfect aside from Sunday’s sloppy practice. Good job to the crew with all that, glad they let it get rough and rutted. Already looking forward to next year!

11691313-50DD-42A0-8341-980DE5812FBC.jpeg

48149EE4-6EA5-4BE2-83EE-12F8D9BB8875.jpeg

Yea that was you in front of me, I recognize your Dad.
I was in races #1 and #8, right behind you.

I was very surprised how well the track turned out both Saturday and Sunday with all of the rain. Pretty perfect aside from Sunday’s sloppy practice. Good job to the crew with all that, glad they let it get rough and rutted. Already looking forward to next year!

Sloppy is a pretty good description. :D
Both of my 1st moto's we had bike's getting flopped everywhere. Not many made it through without going down at least once. But like you said... The second set of moto's, we had a track we could race on!

Like everyone else, facing the idea of trying to race on a washed out flooded mud track was not the most exciting idea. But I was sure that we would have a good track after we beat on it for awhile, with some help from the sun and wind. I was also excited that they had the track direction going CCW this time. Always a nice change up.

Practice was difficult. I made it all the way around, and remained vertical for three laps. There were areas that you could open her up and go.
Then they quickly moved into the moto's. As usual, where we were at in the Pit's, you could not hear the PA system or announcements. After coming in from practice, I decided that I better go find out where they were at and get staged for my motos. Race #1. (EV3 50+B)
I got there to find out I just missed my gate drop. I shot across the gate and took off after the group. I raced my ass off, began catching guys and making pass's. I was taking chances with my speed, and ended up crashing from cross rutting in the straight-away's twice. But no matter, others were still flopping and going down as well, so I still felt like I was making progress. I like that kind of pressure to perform when you are already at an disadvantage.

With each passing race, the track began to tack up, and almost every corner and many straight-away sections were rutted, and getting deeper, and deeper. By my 2nd race (#8 moto 1), I could feel my organs beginning to ache from how rough the track was getting. And I wear a kidney belt.
Once again, with rain in the forecast, they decided to skip intermission and go right into the second set of moto's. By this time the fog had lifted, and the heat and humidity were climbing again. Couldn't stay hydrated enough.
In the end, as DelBalso stated, we ended up with a track that challenged all skill levels. I would race that track every day if I could, just to better develop my cornering, rut skills, and mud racing techniques. As usual, it took me to get two moto's in to start to be able to really pin it and rail, but by the end of my 4th moto, I didn't want to quit!

What a mess.
IMG_1339.JPG

With Fog, the humidity/moisture in the air is at 100%.
You could here it's effects in the way most of the bikes were running. Even in the video's Nancy took, it sounded like most were loading up and wouldn't clean out.
IMG_7179.JPG

IMG_7204.JPG

Losing time during my big push from missing my gate drop.
IMG_7222.JPG

IMG_7210.JPG

Gaining some Momentum again.
IMG_7236.JPG

Not a typical way a 53 year old man spends his Sunday mornings. haha.
I was actually moving pretty fast when I had both of these spills, but the nice thing about a mud track, it's so slippery- you just slip and slide. Nothing ever hurt.
IMG_7238.JPG

Shaping up
IMG_7271.JPG

IMG_7301.JPG

Even though we only ended up with three of us in the EV3 50+B class, there was always somebody within range to challenge you.
IMG_7304.JPG

IMG_7310.JPG

Yea Baby...…. Love the ruts!!!

IMG_7328.JPG

Last edited:
The AMA and Mid-Ohio have to be extremely pleased with the turnout. I think they have made a full recovery from the economic downturn of a few years ago. The AMA gets a big thumbs up again, the weekend was a blast. Also Thanks to any and all volunteer organizations that helped out over the weekend, like the Christian Motorcyclist Association (CMA) for their help with the races.

Also a HUGE thanks to John and Nick DeVito (MissTheFlip) who gave us the heads up on the time change for the Hare Scramble race. If it weren't for them I would of been lined up at Noon for a race that ran at 10AM. For me that was one of them "Hard Lessons Learned" that I happily avoided this year, but would of been pissed about as the time change completely caught me and Nancy off-guard. Always pay close attention to all of the details!

The chaos of our weekend actually started earlier in the week just cramming to get stuff done and ready for Friday. And beings that we are Day-Trippers that go home each night, once we hit the Ross Road gate, it get's extremely busy, and doesn't let up until today. Then when you have unexpected occurrences and changes during the weekend, it just adds to the stress of it all.

We knew as soon as we got to Lexington Friday morning that the Hare Scramble was going to be a doozy. We didn't get any rain in Newark/Heath area that night, but saw all the standing water at the track, just knew...this won't be easy! It's never a good sign when the starting line field is mud and standing water, but we've been here before, knew what to expect, sucked it up and got to work.

Considering the weather challenge, I will be the first again to give credit to the AMA crew, the Hare Scramble track was actually a hell of a lot of fun this year. They clearly made necessary track adjustments to give us a track that flowed well and that wouldn't cause too many bottlenecks. For the amount of mud, water, and high creeks, riders were on the move. The majority of the track was still the same as previous courses, but they added in some really cool sections that I've not seen before. There was a particular huge wide open 4th gear long down hill section that was cool as hell and a nice change up.

The biggest difficulty encountered was actually not the track this year. I believe I can speak for us all that it was the heat and humidity. I managed 4 laps, but had my mind made up that if I didn't see checkers when I came through the scoring tent, I was going to have to pull off. I could feel the heat exhaustion signs coming on. Luckily, I got a checkered flag.

Before:
View attachment 61052

After:
View attachment 61053

And my Granddaughter's disappointment in me for scoring 2nd Place in my class, instead of 1st, haha.
View attachment 61054

Even though I vowed to do another teardown that I didn't get to again this year, the KDX ran amazing.
This bike has always been a perfect fit for me for Vintage Hare Scrambles. I Love this Machine!
View attachment 61055

One of the knarlier track sections that gave many of the riders fits. What you can't see in the photo, is the creek crossing at the bottom of the hill and rutted creek bank on the other side. There were three path's to come down this hill. I guess guys were crashing regularly to the bottom.

View attachment 61056

I'll try to get some Sunday motocross stuff up tomorrow.
Glad you were able to get to the HS start Mike. My brain fart of the weekend was missing the start of my 2nd Vin 200 moto on Saturday. I was working on the 250 and missed the announcement of changes made to the afternoon program, and lost track of time. Glad you all had a great weekend.

Best event Ohio has to offer by far. This is a must attend for anyone in the region. The event continues to grow every year. Great job by the AMA staff and Baja crew and of course Kevin Kelly for the announcing. That being said, it ain't cheap. 45/day to get in, 50 a class. Of course if you're on the ball, you can get things a bit cheaper if you sign up ahead of time.

It was up in the air for me with the weather forecast and I smoked the crank on my 125 the wednesday prior. I went ahead and got the motor back together the Friday before and headed south without even starting the motor Friday night. Stayed with some friends Friday night and headed over early Saturday morning with the 250 and pit bike in tow. Buried my truck in the mud at 7:05, and barely got it out with the help of some folks. Hell of a start to the morning. Whole place except for the gravel areas were mud bogs. We found some less wet ground and unloaded. Raced the Modern class on Saturday. Had to split the class into two heats with a main. 56 riders total. I got an awful start in the main and had to come from all the way in 8th to pass a damn fast Georgia boy on the last lap for the W. Loaded up just before the sky let loose and headed back to break in the 125 motor.

Sunday was a quagmire to start. Luckily a lot of the RV's had left the gravel lot and I snagged a dry spot. Track crew was busy scraping the track and I was in practice 2 and 7. I elected not to go out for the 2nd practice and wait until 7 as it was SLICK. They didn't really disc anything in, but rather just scraped. It was still an ice rink by 7 and I was the 4th and 9th moto's out after practice. Revoltuion +30 was up first and I hit neutral after the first shift of the gate drop. Had to come from dead last. I ended up rear ending another rider who stalled right in front of me about a 1/2 lap in and crushed the pipe. Rode the bike the rest of the moto but could tell it was way down on power. I scrambled to find another pipe before moto 9. Luckily there was a suspension shop there that had the fittings to blow the massive dent out all for freaking 25 bucks! Gotta love it. We tore the pipe off. Heated it cherry red and blew that sucker out and rolled to staging just as they were calling my number. Ended up 4th in the first moto of 125 while battling with a red 56 bike who got me on the last lap AKA Trent Heller!! And after talking to him at the awards, he wasn't even in my class but we were on the same gate drop.Had a blast dicing it up with Trent.

Second Moto's were a bit better but I couldn't sing the 125 enough to keep up with Johnny Crist's 250 in +30 and settled for 2nd overall on the day. Second 125 Moto I got a great start and it was Mike Pillar, Carl Schlatt, Dave Blevins and Myself for two laps. I got swallowed up by a rut on lap 2 and went down. Fell back to 6th but it was enough for 4th overall. Track was rougher than anything I have ridden in Ohio in the last 5 years. Been a while since I've seen acceleration bumps like that out of turn. And the best part, no hooked out ruts from riders using the power of 4 strokes to power out of the turns, have to carry your speed on the two strokes. We were done by 1:30 on Sunday. I was shocked.

Hoping to head back again next year and race the scramble Friday as well. Hoping they move it off the Holiday weekend. But if not, so be it.

663.jpg
12345.jpg
566.jpg
123.jpg
1234.jpg
875.jpg

you think they could afford some gravel for the roads in the campgrounds,I got to try out my drifting skills with my 10000 lb motorhome leaving camp.there was no turning back once I was outta my spot and was on the gas til the gate

you think they could afford some gravel for the roads in the campgrounds,I got to try out my drifting skills with my 10000 lb motorhome leaving camp.there was no turning back once I was outta my spot and was on the gas til the gate

No doubt! I got out fine but had a high and dry early spot with quick access back to the gravel road. I say the same thing every year I go to Loretta Lynns...how do they not budget to put some gravel down on the camping roads?

Great report Premix and others! Always nice to hear the good stories.

There is a FB group I found with lots and lots of stuff. Of course most of it bitching about stuff. There is even a post bitching about "what they heard" since they weren't there!

There is a really cool post though from a Mom about her kid building his own 78 RM80 to compete there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MidOhioVintageDays/

Back