Helmet cam footage

mbowen63

Noob
Been toying with the idea of doing a YouTube channel of helmet cam videos because I’ve found that most footage on YouTube of local tracks is either outdated layouts or squids putting around. I went to Outlaw Saturday and strapped on the cam. Just a one lap preview of the track and current layout, going to try to keep up with this and get footage to post from all the local tracks. I know I like to get an idea of a track before I go, especially if the layout has changed since the last time riding there. Let me know if it’s a decent idea or if there’s something that could make it better.

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

bockscars

PR Member
I love these videos, i've spent almost as much time watching videos of local tracks as i have riding (which may be a problem, ha) and find the same problem with outdated layouts or just general poor quality. Although as a squid myself I usually try to find other squids to judge how in everyone else's way I will be.

Only thing I can say is make sure to make engaging titles and describe as much as you can in the video info. What you're riding, what class of a rider you are, how many times you've been out - will make your video easier to find and people care more the more they know about the person behind the camera. Anyway, you got my sub!

4DAIVI PAI2K5

PR Addict
I hate go pro mounts on top the helmet, the visor takes up half the screen. I bought a pro shot mount for the chin bar of the boys helmet... Broke first crash, 45 bucks in the trash can. I then got to looking and figured out how to rig up my own super easy on the boys bell helmets. I have only done a few videos of him but he is really engaged with watching his races /practices on the way home from the track to see what he can do better. W use it between motos to help him find lines and braking points.

Few I have done for him. If any one has advise on free video editing software let me know, I've just been using windows video editor.

Grear's mx

Briarcliff

Huffman Hills

Ramjam

bockscars

PR Member
I hate go pro mounts on top the helmet, the visor takes up half the screen. ]

I agree 100%. I started mounting mine on the side of the helmet level with my eye so that the angle is more close to what I actually see. I also like this because my bars and hands are in view as well as a bit of the front of the bike. The downside being that if you fall on that side its easier to get knocked loose. I shot some footage from last weekend, skip to 4:20 for the side-mount view. Also if anyone wants to see a 360 cam mounted from the bars, that starts 2:00 and is some pretty neat footage, just need to find a more sturdy setup since its a bigger, bulkier camera.

Also 4DAIVI PAI2K5PR I'm not sure what GoPro you have, but if you edit it with the GoPro Quik software you can add speed, g-force, maps, etc to the footage which is super useful when trying to figure out where you're fast. Usually I trim the footage there, add the overlays I want and then I finish it off in Premiere Pro (which I pay monthly for, but I use Illustrator and Photoshop for my job so its "free" for me) - let me know if you need any help with the Quik software!

mbowen63

Noob
Thanks for the feedback everyone. As far as placement of the gopro, top of the helmet was the most convenient for me so that’s where it’ll be. If I end up at ytown tmrw I’ll see if I can get it angled so there’s no visor. Now let’s just see if I can keep up with doing these haha

MX315

PR Addict
How was the sandy turns at outlaw?I used to love that place but they close and open every other year So I stopped going there.

mbowen63

Noob
How was the sandy turns at outlaw?I used to love that place but they close and open every other year So I stopped going there.

It was a good time but not great by any means. It was my first time really riding there on the big track (I grew up riding there on 50s watching my dad ride the big track). The jump faces were really all over the place but that’s my only real complaint. I’d much rather ride outlaw than battlesburg but there are far better options around.