2001 Suzuki RM125 questions

Vargo671

PR Addict
2001 Suzuki RM 125 questions.......I remember pit and others discussing this bike. I’m thinking about picking one up for my son and wondering if this is a good idea. Any issues to be concerned with this model? Engine changed after that year?

D

DTS

01/02 had oil starvation issues in the bottom end. 04 the motor was redesigned, making the 04 and up bikes better. There’s more little tweaks and upgrades that made things on the 01/02 slightly obsolete. Front brake was improved in newer years, linkage change.. etc. I’m sure pit can chime in for more info.

With all the being said, I have owned a 02 and currently own a 06. I LOVED my 02, but I would go through multiple crank bearings a season. No issues with my 06. Whatever you do though, put a Hinson clutch in it, and save yourself problems with the stock basket. They’re soft.

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
i went through 4 bottom ends on an 01... at the time i recall others having issues too. eventually we changed something and it seemed to fix it but i couldnt tell you what it was.

Vforce reed cage, sst pipe and Hinson clutch basket and she will run good. Personally I kind of like that era yz 125 a bit better. Hard to beat a 97-2002 yz 125 and they can be had cheap.