250 vs. 350 vs. 450

Never used this..seems cool...

• Total voters

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
Next spring I'll be getting a new bike - many of you have gone the 350 route and curious of what you think when compared to a 450.

Here's my info/thoughts

23 y/o - got back into riding a couple years ago now
190 lbs 5'11"
Race a lot - fun stuff - amateur days, battle races, other bigger races
Practice a lot
Mid to upper C rider - I hit the jumps and get around okay
Not much of a revver but my 250f I feel like I'm ringing out quite a bit now

With my size and how much I ride a 250f doesn't seem to be the best fit for me.

I've rode an 18 YZ450F and a 19 KX450 - Didn't care for the YZ - power seemed to hit hard and not smooth - Kawi felt pretty good, never felt like it was going to yank out of my arms but I don't know how I would be feeling after 4 laps at a really rough track like Red Bud.

2 strokes really aren't my gig either - I know I know - never liked the power - too big for a 125.

SSS yamaha stuff is my favorite suspension I've ridden on - I can't get along with my SFF kx250f stuff (not air - just single sided super heavy spring)

and go...! Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Just picked up a 2019 KTM 350 sxf a couple months ago. Came off 125s.

I have ridden 450s and 250s and the 450s just felt like my arms were going to fall off after a couple laps. The 250s were great, but like you said, you just needed a little bit more.

I rode the 350 last year at crow and I was blown away. After doing a lot of research and thinking I decided to pull the trigger. Best decision I have made, not a single complaint yet.

I have the perfect amount of power with the 350. Still enough to grunt around in the bottom end, but when you really get on it and rev it up, it goes and goes fast. I can ride it for a ton of laps and not feel too worn out.

With how much of the fun racing and riding you do, this is something that you can run in the Open class no problem and not have to worry about tiring yourself out too quickly.

Okay well that pretty much wraps up my marketing campaign for the 350s lol but in the end the choice is really yours and I don't think you can go wrong. You are more than welcome to take my bike for a spin whenever!

i-VxbRQ34-S.jpg

I've owned all three. I currently ride a 450 which i like for moto. I am most likely going to go to a 300 two stroke next just because I have been riding primarily off road events and having a blast. My 450 is a handful in some of these events. I am also an old two stroke guy and none of the four strokes have the light feeling of a two stroke especially riding off road events. My son prefers the 350. The main difference to me is the handling. The 350 feels much lighter to me and has less engine braking. The 350's power is like a very torquey 250. To get the max power you have to rev it more than a 450 but it has a decent amount more low end compared to a 250.

I have had 3 450s. A few 125s. And most recently a 250f. I think I’m your same speed/size. I currently ride a 17 fc350 and love it. Enough power down low to lug it and if you choose to ride it high in the rpms it makes close to 450 power. Only difference is I can ride this bike a lot longer than the 450 without getting tired.

youd love the 350 but you do gotta rev it a lot they make their power high up in the rpm range.... so if thats not your thing id consider the 450..

so you should totally buy my 19 yz450. they made a few small tweaks on the front end that made the 19 feel a little better than the 18.. and the right map really smooths out the power.

350's "feel" like more like a built 250 than a mellow 450 - which I like. I rode a husky 350 at a demo day but the track was pretty much concrete so it didn't tell me much. - I go to michigan a lot and ride sand - 350 I could be comfortable on when the track gets rough late in the day like Saplackc is saying.

I'm leaning 350 - Matt we around the same speed while I'm heavier than you for sure but you seem very comfortable on yours.

Thanks for all of the input and offers. - need to keep my eyes peeled for a smokin deal on a leftover.

Last edited:
youd love the 350 but you do gotta rev it a lot they make their power high up in the rpm range.... so if thats not your thing id consider the 450..

so you should totally buy my 19 yz450. they made a few small tweaks on the front end that made the 19 feel a little better than the 18.. and the right map really smooths out the power.

Crute's Yard Sale.com - I need to jump on domain name rights. - That thing will sell no problem , the power tuner app is pretty cool I'm surprised more brands haven't followed that up.

I came off a 17 Husky TX300 - you'll LOVE it in the woods - GREAT bike
I'd like to go with the 2020 TX300FI me thinks...with green plastic and/or graphics of course...lol

350's are good bikes in my limited seat time on them. Good mix of both the upper and lower cc bikes. Sometimes a 450 is just too much and had gotten me into trouble in thinking I CAN go that fast. Although, it is really sweet to just twist the grip to get over ANYTHING....

If you didn’t like the YZ450f STAY away from the Honda. It’s a TON of HP with great turn in and too good of a front brake for woods(pads are grabby in loose rocky surface, simple pad change helps). I would recommend a stabilizer on the neck to help with the twitchy at times front. It’s a track/Moto machine...plus the tank on the R is small. Other models like the CRFx450 might be a bit more suited for and overall work horse.

If you didn’t like the YZ450f STAY away from the Honda. It’s a TON of HP with great turn in and too good of a front brake for woods(pads are grabby in loose rocky surface, simple pad change helps). I would recommend a stabilizer on the neck to help with the twitchy at times front. It’s a track/Moto machine...plus the tank on the R is small. Other models like the CRFx450 might be a bit more suited for and overall work horse.

The first two maps on my bike are nice, the aggressive map is pretty gnarly. I’m 5’11 and 192lbs and it wants to wheelie everywhere. I mainly ride mine in GP’s and haven’t had any issue with the front break or gas tank being an issue. I use maybe 1/2 tank Of fuel for a 50min gp race. But i love my crf450r and wouldn’t buy another bike.

I've only rode a couple 350's and that was a few years ago. I never felt like the gearing was right. I'm sure a sprocket change would help that. For me the 450 is just better. My Husky 450 revs out good, is super light compared to the other 450's and handles great. Before anyone says I just needed to rev out the 350, I also ride my 125 regularly, I know how to wind a bike out.

I like rolling up to jumps and still being able to roll on the gas, and make the jump. When I try that on my sons 250, it does not work. 450 is defiantly better for how I like to ride.

Got a chance to ride with Durham Saturday before Loretta’s. He describes the 350 motor as feeling identical to Mitch Payton’s factory kx250f he used to race..... so there’s that !!!!

I heard somewhere that Jace Kessler rides a 350 as a practice bike to keep his race 250's fresh. - Pretty crazy to think factory 250f's crank out that much horsepower..

Back