Dealerships vs online

John250

PR Founding Father
Want to know why people buy online vs the dealership?

Order online by 7pm and I have my order on my front porch by 10am the next morning with free shipping.

I ordered gear from the dealership 10 days ago, still not in stock and will be 3 trips to the dealer.

That's why dealerships lose business to online retailers for parts and accessories.

stumpy823

PR Member
I agree John but did you check with Ivers at Motoextremes down in your area has tons of stuff and what he doesn’t have can get quick

John250

PR Founding Father
I agree John but did you check with Ivers at Motoextremes down in your area has tons of stuff and what he doesn’t have can get quick

He's really not that close to me. I had some dealer bucks to use before they expired. Just amazes me I can have stuff next day if ordered by 7pm and the dealer cant have it from their suppliers in 10 days.

jj584

PR Addict
I’ve had good luck with Roush. They usually work with me on price and either match or get real close to online. It’s on my way home from work so not a big deal to me. The good side is they see my face all the time, so when we buy bikes they take care of us.

663dad

PR Addict
Dealers Support race series and riders. The last I checked you cant buy a bike online.

Order online by 7pm and I have my order on my front porch by 10am the next morning with free shipping.
This is because they draw from multiple warehouses.

I ordered gear from the dealership 10 days ago, still not in stock and will be 3 trips to the dealer.
Is it new gear just released, or the current year gear, if so the new gear may not be available yet. The 2019 gear is being depleted due to sale pricing to allow for the new to arrive.

That's why dealerships lose business to online retailers for parts and accessories.
No dealers loose money because riders do not support them. Ask your online retailer if they give Kawasaki and Yamaha pit bikes away for a series, dealer checks and other products. I would tell you they would say no. Rocky Mountain ATV gives some series 10.00 to signup, this is so they keep you coming back, hoping you will spend more.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited:

mawilk6

PR Member
shops never have anything i need i always just order from rocky mountain usually at my door step after work the next day

hershey

PR Elite
Dealers are loosing money because online options cater to todays need for instant gratification and busy life style.

Lets face it, everyone is too damn busy any more. You can get online with Ebay and at least 10 MX specific retailers, every product is at your fingertips. You order you stuff and pay for it from the convenience of you home, bathroom or on the job while youre supposed to be working. Within a day or 2 the stuff Is on your porch, if someone doesn't steal it.

RMATV does give back to the sport. I know its a marketing ploy that works in their favor but that's all the local shops are hoping for when they donate as well. And RMATV, when they use FEDEX and not the post office, has the stuff on my porch the next day. I only order hard parts from them and they stock everything Ive ever needed for all our bikes except a side case half for a YZ125 I fixed.

Now Kames is a perfect example here. I order all my accessories and gear through them. Pricing is just as good, service is better and the delivery time is very close. Ive never ordered something Monday that I haven't had by the weekend. Even so people simply dont want to take the time to drive there to order it and then again to pick it up. If you have been there lately, the show room is smaller and bare. They used to have a huge showroom fully stocked with lots of mx stuff. They stopped stocking because people weren't buying. Its sad because they really care about the sport and did a lot to support CRA and OMA. But if the money isn't being spent in their shop they cant continue to do that.

The days of supporting local is over IMO and is only going to get worse as my generation phases out of riding

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
Dealers are loosing money because online options cater to todays need for instant gratification and busy life style.

Lets face it, everyone is too damn busy any more. You can get online with Ebay and at least 10 MX specific retailers, every product is at your fingertips. You order you stuff and pay for it from the convenience of you home, bathroom or on the job while youre supposed to be working. Within a day or 2 the stuff Is on your porch, if someone doesn't steal it.

RMATV does give back to the sport. I know its a marketing ploy that works in their favor but that's all the local shops are hoping for when they donate as well. And RMATV, when they use FEDEX and not the post office, has the stuff on my porch the next day. I only order hard parts from them and they stock everything Ive ever needed for all our bikes except a side case half for a YZ125 I fixed.

Now Kames is a perfect example here. I order all my accessories and gear through them. Pricing is just as good, service is better and the delivery time is very close. Ive never ordered something Monday that I haven't had by the weekend. Even so people simply dont want to take the time to drive there to order it and then again to pick it up. If you have been there lately, the show room is smaller and bare. They used to have a huge showroom fully stocked with lots of mx stuff. They stopped stocking because people weren't buying. Its sad because they really care about the sport and did a lot to support CRA and OMA. But if the money isn't being spent in their shop they cant continue to do that.

The days of supporting local is over IMO and is only going to get worse as my generation phases out of riding

Did not read - too long, I've got so much to do today - can you summarize and footnote -

jj584

PR Addict
Good points being made here and think of this. Ordering your new dirtbike straight off the web, and it being delivered to your house. The things don’t really have a warranty anyway. I can see that as the future.

Vet261

PR Addict
Having to shame people into supporting a business is not really a model for success.
If I could order a new 2020 bike from Amazon or RMATVMC I probably would! I used to buy bikes from TUF Racing and have them shipped to me...

The one area I do like and try to support are the people that vend at our races. I like to be able to go to races and not have to bring my whole garage full of parts with me -- having vendors at the tracks is great and I try to support them in some manner when I am there, even if it's just buying a tshirt or something

John250

PR Founding Father
I would like to support the dealers. RMATV definitely supports the sport. OMA gives us $10 per sign up, Daytona, $25, qualifiers and regionals $25 per sign up, adds up quickly.

My point is, dealers need to change a little. It should not take 10 days (and the stuff was not even in stock yet) for something I can get over night from a supplier in KY. Perhaps distributors and dealers should have a system where if something is ordered at the dealer it is shipped direct from their distributor partner to the customer?

Hershey and Pit are both 100% correct. And I am guessing with Carvana and other online car dealers, the day will come where we can buy a bike and it is delivered to the house and we sign the paperwork.

663dad

PR Addict
I would like to support the dealers. RMATV definitely supports the sport. OMA gives us $10 per sign up, Daytona, $25, qualifiers and regionals $25 per sign up, adds up quickly.

My point is, dealers need to change a little. It should not take 10 days (and the stuff was not even in stock yet) for something I can get over night from a supplier in KY. Perhaps distributors and dealers should have a system where if something is ordered at the dealer it is shipped direct from their distributor partner to the customer?

Hershey and Pit are both 100% correct. And I am guessing with Carvana and other online car dealers, the day will come where we can buy a bike and it is delivered to the house and we sign the paperwork.
I don't for see any bike manufacture ever delivering a bike to your door, to much of a liability issue. Carvana is the new wave of buying for the younger group of millennials, which are to lazy to go to a dealership test drive a vehicle and or negotiate their car deal. Trust me they are looking online for the vehicle they are in search of. Its just easy to point and click and buy and hope it all works out .

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
I don't for see any bike manufacture ever delivering a bike to your door, to much of a liability issue. Carvana is the new wave of buying for the younger group of millennials, which are to lazy to go to a dealership test drive a vehicle and or negotiate their car deal. Trust me they are looking online for the vehicle they are in search of. Its just easy to point and click and buy and hope it all works out .

What liability is there in shipping a bike to my door? I don't work for a motorcycle shop but I doubt their best techs are putting your front wheels and handlebars on your bike out of the crate. - You sign away your right to come back on the dealership if something malfunctions anyway. - it's wise to frame your bike when you get it home. I'd skip the middle man - UPS guy can drag it up my front porch who cares.

Vet261

PR Addict
What liability is there in shipping a bike to my door? I don't work for a motorcycle shop but I doubt their best techs are putting your front wheels and handlebars on your bike out of the crate. - You sign away your right to come back on the dealership if something malfunctions anyway. - it's wise to frame your bike when you get it home. I'd skip the middle man - UPS guy can drag it up my front porch who cares.

We used to be able to buy bikes right from dealerstock and have them shipped in a crate never touched by the dealer. They can't do that anymore, most manufacturers have distribution points now that assemble the bikes and send them to dealers. So to get a bike shipped nowadays you'd have to pay the dealer to take the bike back apart, crate, and ship.

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
We used to be able to buy bikes right from dealerstock and have them shipped in a crate never touched by the dealer. They can't do that anymore, most manufacturers have distribution points now that assemble the bikes and send them to dealers. So to get a bike shipped nowadays you'd have to pay the dealer to take the bike back apart, crate, and ship.

Well....Distribution points are dumb too.

Bill480

PR Addict

wat

weaver658

PR Member

Just out of curiosity, what did you order?

John250

PR Founding Father
Just out of curiosity, what did you order?
Fox Gear. They called today, said that it was on backorder and did not know, it was. Fox rep is trying to get some from another source, said sorry about 5 times. Almost like they saw my post

Last edited: