Type F ATF

hershey

PR Elite
Been using the red Honda 80wt. Looks hist like ATF. For years now have been running the cheapest ATF I could find in the boys 50's. He is on 65's and I ran the expensive stuff I use. Last fall went to ATF in my 125 and his 65's. Haven't had any issues. Think about it, an auto tranny in a car has wet clutches, bearings and gears. All the same stuff and the loads in a 3000lb car to a 20000 lb. Truck are far greater than a dirt bike.

GoFar

PR Member
Been using 75wt in 85s, had good luck till now. Had to rebuild the trans countershaft, gears shot to hell. Watching this thread debating if I should switch to something different

Bass 67

PR Member
Thumpertalk has a thread about using atf also. I always change the oil after every time the boy rides. So using the expensive stuff is getting pricey. I’m gonna give the atf a try this year. I might not even tell the boy just to see if he says anything or feels the the clutch is acting different.

jfalat

PR Addict
I too run Rotella T4 15w-40. I use it in a Beta 250rr, KTM 150 xc, YFZ450 and a Grizzly 660. I have used it in every two stroke bike I have had. (many) They definitely use a new formula. It says it meets the JASO MA/MA2 requirements, but it sure doesn't act like the older formula. It seems that it breaks down quicker, or the friction modifiers don't break down while the other materials do(?). With the new formulation, I get clutch plate noise, and some squeals after about 4 hours. It is cheap, so I change it at that point, but I never experienced this with the old formulation.

As for using ATF in a two stroke transmission, I did that a few times on a '99 KX250 I had. No issues, good shifting qualities.
I was trying to do a little research..seems a lot guys are saying the same thing..the oil is cheap and breaks down quickly..I change my oil every ride so it works for me.

Dano762

PR Addict
Good thread although some of you seem to change bikes faster than I change oil.

I tried some of the pricy specific gear oil and couldn’t tell a difference.

I tried the Mobil 1 formulation for wet clutches and couldn’t tell a difference.

Tried ATF once and didn’t like the shifting. It seemed thin and the shifting was likely my imagination.

I use Honda or Kawasaki 10/30 or 10/40 depending on 125s or 250s and change every 4 rides or hours.

I think is less about what and more about how often.

I am not exactly pushing any performance boundaries.

John250

PR Founding Father
I change ours (OK grandpa does) on a fairly regular basis to keep it fresh. I run Honda Lube (courtesy of enough Honda Lube from RMATVMC Fantasy). But changing every ride is WAY over kill.

Mark414

PR Member
I get the idea of ATF if your 17 and broke as joke, I always run Maxima and changed every 3 rides, Never had to change a clutch even in a 125. Yes it cost more but a new bike is 8 grand now.

hershey

PR Elite
I get the idea of ATF if your 17 and broke as joke, I always run Maxima and changed every 3 rides, Never had to change a clutch even in a 125. Yes it cost more but a new bike is 8 grand now.

Lol...ok. Using that logic, pros don't have a clue how to treat a bike. They change the clutch and oil every ride.

Bill480

PR Addict
5nTCoHt.png

hershey

PR Elite
wow!!! Anyone ever wonder why there is maybe 1 or 2 whole post a day on here anymore?

Maybe people calling people idiots for trying a fluid that actually works claiming they are young and poor or memes like Bills

Claiming that running ATF is for young broke people only is a bit offensive and low. I assume since I use ATF that you are suggesting that's what I am? Or are you saying my bikes are old and a piece of cheap crap so using ATF is ok? Since pro riders change clutches each race are they using cheap oil? That's my point.

Bill, go eff yourself. I could post the sky is blue and you would argue and call me stupid. Don't know what your issue is but get a life.

Mark414

PR Member
Wow, You assume and read a whole lot into that statement that was not said or intended, Young and broke, How did you come up with stupid out of that?

Bill480

PR Addict
Maybe people calling people idiots for there trying a fluid that actually works? Like below?

hurr

Maybe you are clueless Bill? The guy claims pros

durr

Maybe people calling people idiots for trying a fluid that actually works claiming they are young and poor or memes like Bills

Claiming that running ATF is for young broke people only is a bit offensive and low. I assume since I use ATF that you are suggesting that's what I am? Or are you saying my bikes are old and a piece of cheap crap so using ATF is ok? Since pro riders change clutches each race are they using cheap oil? That's my point.

Bill, go eff yourself. I could post the sky is blue and you would argue and call me stupid. Don't know what your issue is but get a life.

Woah. Nobody called you anything but yourself lol. I see you've started taking pitracer very seriously.