Best Neck Brace for C class rider????

Nobody knows. That’s irresponsible for a provider to tell you that without evidence.
It would be no different if my doctor told me “it good you weren’t wearing that neck Brace when you swapped in sand rollers and broke your collarbone otherwise you’d likely be paralyzed”

Im not trying to fight here, just statements without evidence to support put people in muddy water.

blunt impacts. Contusions. All can cause spinal cord dysfunction. Hard to find a device that can prevent all that. The best way to avoid it is—-not to ride. And none of us here are gonna stay off a bike!

Staying off the bike isn't an option, so it comes down to personal preference on this stuff. I was able to get a deal on an Atlas brace off of Ebay for my son for this upcoming summer for the little bit that he will end up riding. We are all set now.

I wear an Atlas because the design makes sense to me. 2 points of contact on the back to distribute the impact to you muscles rather than one point of impact directly on your spine. The times I've wrecked I feel like they've helped to keep my head from slamming and whipping too hard.

It is hard to say no to any safety device When it comes to protecting my kid. Nick wears one. I don’t I only smash my head.

Last edited:
So did anyone ever read this article from Cycle News about the effectiveness of Neck Braces over a 10 year study period by the EMS service that covers a major part of the major events in MX?

Of course this isn't scientific testing like so many people want to see, this is injury data collected from the track and the answers from people compared to each other between those wearing a neck brace / not wearing a neck brace. This statitstical data evidence seems to indicate that there is a benefit from wearing neck braces vs not wearing them in the event of a crash, but that is just the numbers talking from injury reports.

I believe in the idea behind the neck brace and do wear one when I ride, and I did get my son an Atlas Neck brace to wear when he decides to ride this coming season. It may or may not be actually needed, but it's a little peace of mind hoping that he doesn't test the absolute effectiveness in a crash at some point.

All I'll add, like Smith said, I would NEVER wear one that rests on your spine. I learned everything I needed to know from testing after my buddy got paralyzed. I got rid of mine right away. NO clue about the newer ones, but I'm against them.

I’ve seen that, the evidence isn't convincing. There’s no p values. There’s only data on what they chose to be reported. There isn’t any data for every crash that happened without injury. How many total crashes were there ? You can’t know because they don’t track crashes where there wasn’t injuries with riders wearing the brace and riders not wearing brace. There’s no control group. But at least it is some type of data points to help make an informed decision.

There’s a lot of “studies” done in the medical field and they hold no credibility without proper methods. I’ve seen rudimentary studies in the icu that can seem to prove the benefits of a treatment, but turns out the p value is less than 0.05. There are TONS of drug studies paid for by (drug manufacturers) that pitch the results in their favor. (Imagine that) and then turns out....no real benefit than using a conservative or alternative method of treatment. I think that’s kinda where we are with the neck brace thing. Nobody really knows either way If they help or hurt.

You really need double blind studies with control group to see any tangible evidence. And nobody will ever pay for resources for that kind of testing....it’s like we will never truly know. Research is expensive. And there’s no way to make money off research.

I don't like when people say "I know without it, I would be paralyzed" that's the stupidest statement ever. No one knows or could tell you one way or the other.

Back