Moto and money.

weaver658

PR Member
Have always wondered this. How much money do you have to make to be able to afford to do this hobby? I am not talking about racing every weekend or trying to make the ranch. Just the average rider who rides a couple times a month and maybe races once or twice a year. With mortgages, car payments, insurance ect.

John250

PR Founding Father
There are only about 10,000 things you have to answer to answer that question.

But if someone wants to just ride a couple times a month it can be done very reasonable.

DelBalso28

PR Addict
There is SO much to this topic, but I got this. I’m on nightshift with nothing better to do.

The question really should be how much EXTRA expense does moto add to your life? Mortgage, insurance, etc are the necessities of life, cost of living variables are too broad per person.

Quick answer: $1.45/hr

Long answer:
Going with some realistic base moto budgeting for someone interested in the sport here.

Factoring in a bike/start up costs? Let’s get you a factory edition for $11,000. Just kidding, found you an 05 yz250 for $2000(says George baker on the number plates, but no biggie). This is going to last you 5 years.
-$400/year

Doesn’t sound like this rider rides much, so we are only doing bigger maintenance once a year. $400 per year maintenance. You’ll get tires, top end kit, brake pads, clutch pack, chain/sprockets, oil, lower shock bearing(you’ll be regreasing your linkage often and tricking your mind into thinking the rest of the bearings are still good). You are running a lot of Tusk racing components here to save some money, but “in Tusk we Trust”, just ask Stacy Crute.
-$400/year

Get some gear for $400. You’ll buy previous year items to save money, and put the majority into decent boots and helmet. Buy gently used if you need. This stuff will last you a couple years. You don’t need that gear Ken Roczen was wearing (I keep telling myself this but it doesn’t work). It can get cheaper but we aren’t letting you get kitted up with that chrome flame Vega helmet from the Harley store.
-$200/year

Track fees? $25 practice entry per week, $25 gas to get there.
-Good news though, Old Man Webster is letting you ride on his farm, and you met some buddies that have private tracks, so we can eliminate some expenses. $100 a month to spoil yourself with a couple track days and private fees. You ride April-October
-$700/year (your biggest expense is actually riding. This is a good thing)

Chances are you’ll need a vehicle to haul the bike, so I’ll factor that in. Don’t need a monthly payment for this, it’s just the moto rig. Just saw a 2002 s10 for $1500. I rolled this way for 4 years, so this isn’t an unrealistic thing for the average rider. Hell I’ll credit you $1000 to replace tires, ball joints, tranny lines, a battery, starter, alternator, and waterpump/belts throughout the life of the truck(it’s an s10, trust me). Truck lasts you 5 years.
-$500/year

Race once or twice a year, $100 per race should cover all your expenses. Roll with a buddy and save yourself some gas money.
-$200/year

So figure if you’re in the sport for 5 years, you’re looking at approximately $2400/year, $200/month for an average rider to be able to enjoy the sport including all necessary expenses. $1.45/hr for a full time employee will cover this.

Bonus, after 5 years you can still sell your bike for $1500, and your truck for $800 to recoup some of the cost, or apply to your next bike/truck purchase.

Obviously people do it way bigger than this, and certainly it can be done cheaper. I’ve always leaned towards the cheaper side of the sport for a racer, and still implement ways to be cost effective, though I spoil myself at times nowadays.

Last edited:

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
I raced 3/4 years of college at Kent State but my overhead was pretty low then and I had a pretty good part time job. My rent total was like $300 per month for a studio apartment with some garage space I was able to use.

My crappy electrical service van to get me there, started with a CR125 I flipped my way up to a brand new KX250F the first year.

You can keep your overhead pretty low and have a good time riding and racing. I was around $2,600 a year during that time. - not including the bike I bought. I rode a lot too, 3 times a week peak season I had lots of good options pretty close to the kent area.

Like Johnny D said a lot of it depends on your lifestyle off the track.

Now that I have graduated I have a mortgage, bills, etc. My bike is a little nicer, gear is a little nicer, but my van is the same.

MX099

PR Addict
Step 1 Check Craigslist locate a bike, contact seller then steal it.
Step 2 Wheelie around Cleveland or other larger Liberal City’s
Step 3 When bike needs maintenance leave it where it’s at and see Step1
I estimate the cost around 65 cents an hour to ride at current gas prices.

JMO330

PR Member
"In Tusk we trust" :rolleyes: The startup cost i think is the kicker. After that its just fuel for the truck and bike along with entrance fee 20-35.00 depending on track. Few oil changes and a tire or 2 a year and your set. If you buy a super cheap bike, you will more than likely spend a fortune and a ton of hassle making it tight and right. Careful what you choose.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Used yz250/125s are plentiful and parts are everywhere. You can get one of them cheap and put 2-3000 in it ground up overhaul and have a solid competitive bike. David Vuillamen has been finding ratted out bike and what he’s done with them is amazing. It can be done cheaply!

John250

PR Founding Father
The sport can be very reasonable for a motorsport. I've been racing my whole life. But have always basically lived on the motto that I dont finance racing.

Always have had great bikes, gear, etc.. refuse to spend thousands on a toy hauler and the expenses with it. I prefer to just pop in a hotel at those needed races.

Dont feel like I've ever been at a disadvantage and haven't went broke. And over the last 40 years I've seen people finance everything and use 401ks and what not to race. Stupidest things ever. And most end in divorce also.

Romanyak256

PR Addict
I’m the one who bought a new bike... but i buy all close out gear, my sg12’s were used and got them for $125 (they were in new condition) i won a Troy lee helmet from vital mx and a huge pro taper bundle 2 years in a row, so my bike and gear got some trick stuff for free. Honestly o don’t have much invested in riding. I always go with buddies and we split gas to get there, $5 a piece and riding is only $25 a day. Riding is cheap if you’re not traveling hours away and racing every weekend

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Yea I mean people spend $50-100 going out to eat. I spend no more than that if I wanna ride Saturday and Sunday. Kinda sweet if ya think about it.

NQ1965

PR Elite
It takes a bit of expendable cash, that by the way, you won't get back.
You're current level of obsession will always help your conscious justify the spending.
You don't ever want to tally up receipts or track costs. You'll quit if you do that.

Just keep telling yourself that you are getting better and faster all the time, and it will all be just fine. :cool:

JMO330

PR Member
The sport can be very reasonable for a motorsport. I've been racing my whole life. But have always basically lived on the motto that I dont finance racing.

Always have had great bikes, gear, etc.. refuse to spend thousands on a toy hauler and the expenses with it. I prefer to just pop in a hotel at those needed races.

Dont feel like I've ever been at a disadvantage and haven't went broke. And over the last 40 years I've seen people finance everything and use 401ks and what not to race. Stupidest things ever. And most end in divorce also.
VERY well put

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Team fee = $600
Glove = 280
Bat = 323
Weekly trainer $40 per = 2080
Tournament travel - @300 each x 6 = 1800
Gear = 200
Total - $5283 per year

Baseball is expensive also. But is only costs me 2 hours per game. :)

jfalat

PR Addict
Team fee = $600
Glove = 280
Bat = 323
Gear = 200
Total - $5283 per year

yep.. been there...travel leagues cost way more then moto.

John250

PR Founding Father
Team fee = $600
Glove = 280
Bat = 323
Gear = 200
Total - $5283 per year

That's NOTHING! Ever had a daughter in Competitive Competition cheer?