Grand Prix at COCR Sunday 6/21

Ron505

PR Founding Father
Seat time for Fathers Day? We're having our first GP of the season on Sunday. We've only got two GP's this year, so don't miss out. Hope to see you there!

Ron505

PR Founding Father
One heck of a day today! Great seeing everyone again. Jeffro667 was smoking the kids in the vet class. K01 was keeping them in check. And nice meeting you NQ1965. Track looked incredible! I may have to get a bike again. I thought I could go 1 year without, but I'm not sure about that. I think I'd like to try a 300 two smoke.

NQ1965

PR Elite
Late reporting in here, but it was an awesome race for sure!
I had to burn a vacation day yesterday to help recover from the fatigue, joint stiffness and to clean up and put away.

We couldn't of asked for a better track.
The track layout was the perfect length, enough that pretty much everybody could get in at least several laps, with no significant mud holes or mud-hills, with challenging elevation changes and awesome scenery.
Except for one real short change-up section, was plenty wide and fast in all areas. It was as fast as any GP's that I think I've raced and the competition was good.

It was particularly fun watching the speed racers up ahead of me, blow through a corner, only to soon afterward have them on my backside angling for a pass. It was also fun having guys that were a little faster, making a pass on you, and then in turn, get to fly by them on the motocross track jumps.

Looking forward to the next COCR Grand Prix race.

Thanks again to all the COCR volunteers that put the race together.

NQ1965

PR Elite
So my wife usually does a good job capturing the moments of our races.
And beings this was Father's Day, she tried to capture it from a family perspective. Here's a few pic's.

My step son and I, staged for our 9:00am session. DECADE CLASS.
He and I compete against each other in this one. ( bear in mind there is a 20 year age gap )
IMG_1235.JPG

9:00 Session getting ready to be cut loose for 45 minutes of racing madness.
IMG_1239.JPG

Nothing really special about this pic, except that when I saw it I realized that it captured the fact that I managed to keep son-Anthony and another kid behind me for almost the entire 1st full lap. We are just emerging from the long woods loop and heading out onto the motocross track and to the scoring tent.

IMG_1243.JPG

IMG_1244.JPG

Anthony managed to catch me on the downhill and we went into the turn side by side.
There's five of us grouped together there, and that's close to how tight we were in the woods.
When you are managing the woods GP trail at race speed, one misstep, or bobble, and your competition is all over you to pull the lead.

IMG_1249.JPG

And we were followed up by KO1

IMG_1262.JPG

IMG_1263.JPG

For no more racing then Anthony has done, he has always had a good measure of natural talent and speed.
He has always had a very natural riding style.

IMG_1264.JPG

I wouldn't normally want to show many jump pic's from a GP race, but we had a joke develop over these ones.
After we got the first lap behind us and become comfortable with the track, we started getting aggressive.
Anthony had gotten ahead of me by this point. But the photos revealed he was showed up a bit by the "old man" over the jumps.

Here he is hitting the first big double at the top of the motocross track hill.
He looked good.
IMG_1293.JPG

But I went bigger and looked Gooder. (hee hee!)

IMG_1298.JPG

The whole first race he kept laying up short on the old Grandstand jump on the side of the hill. When he got back to the pits, he asked his sister if anybody was clearing that jump yet, he was debating himself over it.
She laughing, stated "Yea.... mike is, here's a pic if you want to see him"...……...……. his reaction was priceless! "NO FRIGGING WAY"

Him
IMG_1297.JPG

The Old Man again!
IMG_1304.JPG

This was another shot of me coming over it.
The rider ahead of me, Lanning, battled with me the whole race. He is 50+ as well.
He was laying up on the jumps, but he rode the woods smooth, fast and without error. I could gain back on him on the jumps, but he ended up ahead of me an hour later at the checkers.
IMG_1323.JPG

The really cool part is that 3 hours later, him and I faced off and battled again for 50+ class session, and I got him. That's racing Baby!

IMG_1326.JPG

Anthony and I have a father/son rivalry that never ends.
But I have to give it to him when he wins.

IMG_1361.JPG

The Fathers Day gift: Congratulations hug on a 2nd place finish from his 4 yr old son.

IMG_1365.JPG

Priceless moments right there.
IMG_1370.JPG

Our daughter, Anthony's sister, was there as well with her kids. Being at the dirt bike track is, and has always been her 'Happy Place".
He is a Union Journeyman Electrician and owns a Landscaping-Mowing business. She is a RN. They both work their ass's off, are always there for anything the family ever needs.
IMG_1189.JPG

Grandson and granddaughter, anxiously awaiting a race start.
IMG_1228.JPG

We met another moto family next to us. Their son raced in the 50cc class. (kid in the KTM shirt)

IMG_1377.JPG

Got to talk a bit with the parents. Dad is a Vet racer from the 80's and 90's.
Mom thanked us for letting our kids play with theirs. Says they live out in the country, and he normally has no one to play with.
The kids always love being at the track. Even when they aren't racing.
IMG_1378.JPG

Grandson helping Dad test his equipment before 2nd race.
IMG_1385.JPG

Other grandson was immediately there offering me much needed water after pulling in from first race.
IMG_1515.JPG

Was a great Father's Day for both of us, and a High-Five moment of racing.
IMG_1544.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1324.JPG
    IMG_1324.JPG
    212.3 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

NQ1965

PR Elite
3:00 Session..... 50+ and 60 + line up.
Jeffro667 blasting to the first turn, and KO1 and I following up behind.
IMG_1414.JPG

IMG_1423.JPG

Anthony race the 30+ class in the 3:00 session. He had some stiff competition on his butt.
He still pulled a 3rd overall.
IMG_1431.JPG

He wasn't leaving anything to chance in his second race.
IMG_1467.JPG

I included this pic only because in the first race (9am) I was pissed at myself because I didn't stay on the lead lap and didn't get the white flag.
Had my mind made up, that wasn't happening again. I took 4th overall out of 6, I believe in 50+.
Certainly not my fastest GP race, but I was extremely satisfied with how well I rode after two hours of racing on a 90+ degrees day.

IMG_1503.JPG

Last edited:

Ron505

PR Founding Father
It's great to see that you had a fun day with the family!!! Great pics and reporting as well!

Ron505

PR Founding Father
Here are the full results...

Attachments

• COCR GP 6-21-20 Results (1).pdf
    125.6 KB · Views: 158