OMA rules question.

jj584

PR Addict
Does the bike a rider uses in the first moto have to be the same frame he rides in the second? I read the rule book, couldn’t find anything on it.

jj584

PR Addict
Just curious as I’m very certain this happened at 62. Doesn’t matter to me personally it didn’t effect my kid. I just hate people who think they’re above the rules.

jj584

PR Addict
Are you also allowed to enter the track after the gate drops and the field is through the first turn? To enter and not go from the gate just jump in behind?

oldmxrider

PR Member
Are you also allowed to enter the track after the gate drops and the field is through the first turn? To enter and not go from the gate just jump in behind?
Oh hell, in the early days of Our sport I watched a young Steve Morehead set on the gate and let the field hit the first turn before He took off, He still won the race, this was scrambles old school racing, Many have No clue ! It can be kids racing but parents trying to nitpick every rule has changed the sport ! Just My 67 year old opinion !

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
So did said riders bike malfunction? Causing that rider to leave the gate ? Grab another bike....and rush back, Miss the gate drop and hop on the track?

if so, ok you could protest. But if nobody protests who is gonna do anything about it ?

This scenario: would I protest at a battle
Round? Maybe.
would I protest at a regional ? Probably. would I protest it locally ? Not sure. Probably not. But would a points chaser? Probably.

gotta weigh all that with the rule book and is it worth it ?

Was at PVR, I could Of protested a guy for running up the grass off the start after I beat him to the track marker....I didn’t. Maybe I should of. But is it worth it? I don’t know. To me wasn’t worth it in that instance. But if I was in contention for a ticket ? Probably would of. Now that guy finished top 10 overall. Probably still should of protested because this going off the track and hopping back on is bullshit these days. Field was so stacked I don’t think that guy woulda caught to the top 15 that moto if he didn’t decide to take a hard left and chop the corner and bounce from 25th+ to poppin out in like 8th. He would of been buried. And nobody was moving much....

But....doesn’t matter, point is you gotta know the rule book and then make a decision whether protesting or not is worth it, will there be repercussions later because of it ? Etc ?

jj584

PR Addict
In this particular situation the bike being used was raced in 2 classes for the first set of motos. The bike broke in the second moto of the first class It was clearly eating valves. His next moto was 5 races away. A truck shows up with a second bike identical to the first, the rider didn’t make it to the gate. He jumped in behind the pack after the first turn. I wouldn’t protest a local race and it didn’t effect my kid as we finished in front. Some I know would def protest. I was looking more clarity on the second bike rule. My kid has 2 bikes, we have left races before when storms have rolled in and made it a slop fest. I’m not going to tear up his race bike for a local race. I would let him ride the practice bike though if it was legal.

Last edited:

663dad

PR Addict
If OMA follows the AMA guidelines ,you have to use the same bike you raced the first moto. I have been to races where the rider wanted to race the second moto after their bike broke during first moto and requested to race on a different bike and asked to be scored last.
Here is the rule from the AMA.
The motorcycle at the starting line for the rider’s first moto is considered the qualified motorcycle for the meet in that class. Only the motorcycle that is considered the qualified motorcycle will be allowed on the track for a sighting/ parade lap. In any case, a rider is not allowed to switch motorcycles after the start of sighting/parade lap. Not applicable for vintage and post vintage MX.

Last edited:

MX315

PR Addict
Are you telling me someone actually borrowed a bike and raced a second moto ...ON A DIFFERENT BIKE ?? Call the sheriffs....Jesus 2020 is really off the rails ...Find the person, protest, take away his Oma Card for at least year or more !!! Hahahahaha

jj584

PR Addict
Are you telling me someone actually borrowed a bike and raced a second moto ...ON A DIFFERENT BIKE ?? Call the sheriffs....Jesus 2020 is really off the rails ...Find the person, protest, take away his Oma Card for at least year or more !!! Hahahahaha
Like I said, I was looking for clarification as I couldn’t find it in the book. Space cat above found it for me. I can think of a few times being allowed to run the practice bike after he started the first moto with race bike would be handy. It wasn’t a borrowed bike, it was a second bike.

hershey

PR Elite
local race, who cares. Even if I were chasing points. I'd rather win or lose racing someone than win because they couldn't race. Things like this were rather common in the 80s and 90s. Today people get all bent.

jj584

PR Addict
I wish it wasn’t a rule because it would’ve been nice a couple of times for him to be able to use the other bike. As long as it’s a rule I’ll keep sticking to it, my luck is the one time somebody would care.

MX315

PR Addict
I remember couple years back Dude had a huge advantage on the line ...His kid was on a pw and his father was holding him up and gave him a huge shove when the gate dropped ...totally on purpose to get his kid the start he needed ....His name was Save Dmith ...or something like that Hahaha

freeh

PR Founding Father
I remember couple years back Dude had a huge advantage on the line ...His kid was on a pw and his father was holding him up and gave him a huge shove when the gate dropped ...totally on purpose to get his kid the start he needed ....His name was Save Dmith ...or something like that Hahaha
I got protested for doing that once at Amherst. What a joke that was.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Yea that was fun. I thought I was gonna be picking up teeth for a brief minute. That was DHDS01 meltdown year. That and the dungey incident. Lmao

hershey

PR Elite
Lol...yeah those urban legends have a way of morphing