Yamaha 1974 gt 80

Double D

PR Founding Father
I rebuilt this thing 20 years ago and now it needs another top end.

everyone advertises parts in stock
Mike H this is the same engine I gave you. But I am looking for new parts. Top end and gaskets. Where do you the old bike masters get these old parts???
1974 Yama gt 80
F5FA6ED6-5BB8-40F7-9ABF-08B5310105D4.jpeg

four26stroker

PR Member
Call Bruce at 330-274-0098 Endless Journey Cycle’s....I know he has a parts bike and various GT 80 stuff. Bet he has that case cover...I rode one back in the day as a kid, my cousin owned.

Double D

PR Founding Father
Thank you that is also what bike bandits said so I’m a little shy to order from non dealer oem parts not sure how that goes for the local shop

Ron505

PR Founding Father
I loved mine. It was my first bike. I wore that thing out. Broke the frame more than once. I believe mine was white though?

Dano762

PR Addict
Dude wants $1000 Facebook must be loaded with stupid buyers with tons of $
Prices have exploded crazy high this year.

Must be a bunch of different things. Covid-19, 2-stroke fever, all the magazines doing retro builds, Two-Stroke Tuesdays, ads to buy blown up bikes, Mecum auction prices, Craigslist is dead, new bikes close to $10K on average and ???????.

Bikes that I used to find in the hundreds are now thousands.

Tough to find a 2001 or newer 125 or 250 for less than $2,000-2,500- many $3,000 and over. It is not like they have been reworked and are ready to go.

Of course every used bike for sale has a new top end and just needs a carb cleaning to run - oh and a good bath. Dirty bikes must be worth more and the price doubles if there is no air filter.

It costs me between $1,000.00 and $2,500 to bring a bike back and then it won't be a $5,000 bike. The fun has come to an end.

NQ1965

PR Elite
It's kind of weird doing craigslist search and search Tempest for certain older 2 stroke bikes and not coming up with hardly anything.
The bike's are still out there, but people must be holding onto them.

Dano762

PR Addict
It's kind of weird doing craigslist search and search Tempest for certain older 2 stroke bikes and not coming up with hardly anything.
The bike's are still out there, but people must be holding onto them.
I find Craiglist is almost dead and tools like Tempest and Bikefinds have fallen behind. EBAY even makes it hard for me to browse bikes for sale.

Checkout Facebook Marketplace - dozens and dozens of bikes there. There is even a dedicated Vintage bike area.

No need to browse - there is a heck of a nice 81 KX250 waiting patiently for you to fire it up and race alongside your KDX. Just kidding - well kind of.

NQ1965

PR Elite
Interesting. I'm usually slow catching on when changes like this come about. I thought it was a bit odd with so few ads being listed. And there is quite a few dirt bike listings on the facebook marketplace.
I would nab the KX up in a heartbeat if I had any open stable space.

A bunch of years ago I read a Dirt Rider article/review on the the Honda XR400. That gave me the bug that one day, if the opportunity presented itself I would buy one. Well the opportunity came up last winter on a really nice well cared for XR400 from a guy I've worked with. Killed me, but had to let it go.
If I didn't control myself, I could end up with 50 motorcycles. :D

JerryZ

Noob
I raced a 1974 Yamaha 125 YZ back in the mid 70’s. Been looking for one for the past few years. My cousin found me one in Los Angeles. Really good shape. Runs great. Needs some minor repairs.
96116241-533C-4109-B6D8-40F13CCDBB51.jpeg