Amateur Racing at Loretta Lynn's

motomatt19

PR Member
Ok. For all you guys that have tried to race at Loretta Lynn's and never made it, here is your chance. Pay your money, get about 12 laps on the famed LL track. $4.16 a lap gets you there. Well, plus travel, entry, etc.

I don't like it! The main reason why lorrettas is so special, you've gotta earn it! I think big Dave is rolling over in his grave...

hershey

PR Elite
Eh....the track doesn't look fun and I can't say I've ever heard anyone say the track itself is fun. Ill pass

I do like vet practice being 40 and over only though. Local vet practice is basically over flow and filled with idiot 16 year olds and fast A riders

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Gives you an advantage to ride the track. The guys that go year after year definitely get the tricks down.

unsure what’s up with all the b/c classes.

DelBalso28

PR Addict
Nah it’s an awful thing.
Anyone that shows up to amateur day that hasn’t earned a spot in the past isn’t going to understand the meaning of that first lap of practice.
The whole marketing of the event went down the drain.
People have spent and are continuing to spend years just to try to earn those laps. Riding the track is the reward for most.

Not to mention they eliminated A riders from the vet classes. Ok so now you not only get to race the track, but they’ve also removed the competition from the classes.

I hope it’s an absolute mudder

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
New venue for amateurs? That's been rumored forever, but i don't see them doing another pro national there. Just a works in pinch deal for Covid.

" Riding the track is the reward for most. " Only because of the build up for the event, and what it means to everyone. The actual track, if you took all the prestige of the event away, is ok. Meaning if LL did not have the rich tradition, and somebody opened that track up as a new place somewhere in the carolinas or even where it is, and operated on the weekly, would you want to race that track? Meaning drive 9-12 hours just to race it on a weekend.

motomatt19

PR Member
Also as brought to my attention, I’m going to have to agree that we may have an announcement of a venue change after this year.
In that case, I get why they are doing this.

This would make more sense, just can't imagine them ruining the tradition for any other reason. We've all heard daveys story of his dad wanting a fair event for everyone and keeping it that way a million times! If this turns out to be true it definitely makes my effort and commitment priceless!

DelBalso28

PR Addict
" Riding the track is the reward for most. " Only because of the build up for the event, and what it means to everyone. The actual track, if you took all the prestige of the event away, is ok. Meaning if LL did not have the rich tradition, and somebody opened that track up as a new place somewhere in the carolinas or even where it is, and operated on the weekly, would you want to race that track? Meaning drive 9-12 hours just to race it on a weekend.

Exactly. There ya go. When you have to work for something, the reward has meaning. When everyone gets to enjoy the reward without having to put in the work, that spoils it.

Toddco327

PR Addict
Earning the ride of Lorettas doesn’t superseed the ability to ride Lorettas. For some people the cost is to much. The sacrifice is to much. But to be able to take a lap or 2 could be a dream for some. Maybe those 5 laps they take are a culmination of a lifetime of moto and being able to ride the track they always wanted and couldn’t, is the cherry on top. Just because they didn’t “earn” it doesn’t mean they or anyone else appreciates the race less.
I would give anything to be able to golf Augusta. But me earning the opportunity (PGA Tour Player) or being able to tag along with someone doesn’t make the Masters any less special. So I applaud the fact that they are allowing some to ride the track. I got the chance to do amateur day at Steel City. It was the best thing ever. I just rode around and took it all in. I’ll never forget it.
So I understand your “earn it” stance but it doesn’t take away from what Lorettas truly is.

John250

PR Founding Father
Eh....the track doesn't look fun and I can't say I've ever heard anyone say the track itself is fun. Ill pass

I do like vet practice being 40 and over only though. Local vet practice is basically over flow and filled with idiot 16 year olds and fast A riders
No s**t. I could not believe how many A riders were in Vet practice at CTMX.........and my stupid son that I keep telling no one wants his ass out there.

John250

PR Founding Father
There is a whole lot of work going in to fill in and make the parking lot go on around the back side of Ironman. They are not doing that for the pro national. I think they are getting that place ready to be the new site for the Amateur national.

DelBalso28

PR Addict
Earning the ride of Lorettas doesn’t superseed the ability to ride Lorettas. For some people the cost is to much. The sacrifice is to much. But to be able to take a lap or 2 could be a dream for some. Maybe those 5 laps they take are a culmination of a lifetime of moto and being able to ride the track they always wanted and couldn’t, is the cherry on top. Just because they didn’t “earn” it doesn’t mean they or anyone else appreciates the race less.
I would give anything to be able to golf Augusta. But me earning the opportunity (PGA Tour Player) or being able to tag along with someone doesn’t make the Masters any less special. So I applaud the fact that they are allowing some to ride the track. I got the chance to do amateur day at Steel City. It was the best thing ever. I just rode around and took it all in. I’ll never forget it.
So I understand your “earn it” stance but it doesn’t take away from what Lorettas truly is.

Nah I don’t buy the cost and sacrifice approach. Cost can be done on a bare bones budget. And if the sacrifice is too much, then Loretta’s was never really the dream. If you don’t feel like this is wrong, Loretta’s was never the dream. The sacrifices made are why this is a big deal.

Amateur day at any other National isn’t the same comparison as Loretta’s. And I don’t care about golf.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
I feel stuff like this and adding metal grates to starts dilutes the Nostalgia the sport.

sacrifice is real, just paying to show up has no real value. And now that you let everyone down there, their new excuse next year will be “ah it was my year to go, but the track blows. I’m not doing that.” Really racing that track in a 4 lap sprint is stupid. The grueling long moto in the s**t heat on a wierd nonflowing track let’s the best riders get to the top.

DelBalso28

PR Addict
I feel stuff like this and adding metal grates to starts dilutes the Nostalgia the sport.

sacrifice is real, just paying to show up has no real value. And now that you let everyone down there, their new excuse next year will be “ah it was my year to go, but the track blows. I’m not doing that.” Really racing that track in a 4 lap sprint is stupid. The grueling long moto in the s**t heat on a wierd nonflowing track let’s the best riders get to the top.

It’s whatever. I put a lot of effort in to not make it this year and I feel like the effort is totally diluted. I’m sure you get that.
I do understand both sides though.
Hell I told all the friends they should go race the Am day. I sure it’ll be a blast and a great experience. I’d be signed up already if the vet classes weren’t all messed up, so I’m just a hypocrite anyways. Doesn’t make it right, unless it truly is the last hoorah

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
I’m fairly certain Loretta’s understands the gold mine they need to matintain there. Riders bring a lot of money into that local economy every year. They don’t wanna lose that.