Helmets, now accepting your 2 cents.

jj584

PR Addict
The kid has had 2 crashes resulting in a concussion both times within 11months. He was wearing the same brand and model of helmet both times, replaced after the first crash obviously. This was a top of line carbon fiber helmet. Should I consider a different model or brand? Is it going to make a difference or do you feel like all the top helmets will protect the same? I've neem reading all the reviews and the testing tech, I understand they all protect differently based on the impact. I just feel like maybe he shouldn't have got his bell rung so easily, especially this second one.

What brand was it ?

What did it look like after each impact ? Did you retire the helmet after each concussion?

I’ve been wearing fly f2 carbons, trashed my orange fly f2 with no concussive affects. Tried and true. I recently jumped ship back to shoei as that’s what I wore my whole life—and ya know peer pressure from Delbalso....that guy crashes hard and his melon is intact. Good enough for him, good enough for me. Haven’t had any diggers to compare, but it’s important after your crashes to clean and inspect the helmet and look inside under the liner to see if the foam is markedly disfigured / cracked in anyway. If you can see the damage on the inside it’s likely that force continued on directly to your skull, and if it didn’t—the helmet did its job, but the next impact will not prevent harm.

I’m sure you already know this and I’m sorry if I didn’t answer your question. Never take concussions lightly and repeat concussions in the short term repeatedly show poor outcomes in medical studies.

Last edited:
What brand was it ?

What did it look like after each impact ? Did you retire the helmet after each concussion?
Fly formula Carbon, both were retired. The first one he landed on the top of his head actually cracking the helmet along the goggle strap. This time he landed on his face/right side, deep scratches and gouges. I'm looking at Bells and 6D's, I don't have a hookup for 6d"s though.

I think a lot of the issues are with helmets that are not properly fitting. I wear a Medium Arai. It fits the crown of my head, but I have to resize the cheek pads for my round face to smaller cheek pads. I see guys at the races all the time, that I can obviously are wearing a helmet that is too loose on them.

I have been wearing Arai helmets for a while now, and would probably wear nothing else now. They are top of the line for sure. Helmet Pavilion in PA will resize the cheek pads at no cost. They are the guys I always order my Arai's from, and they will normally match a price if you see one cheaper which is not often. They are what they are price wise.

I think a lot of the issues are with helmets that are not properly fitting. I wear a Medium Arai. It fits the crown of my head, but I have to resize the cheek pads for my round face to smaller cheek pads. I see guys at the races all the time, that I can obviously are wearing a helmet that is too loose on them.

I have been wearing Arai helmets for a while now, and would probably wear nothing else now. They are top of the line for sure. Helmet Pavilion in PA will resize the cheek pads at no cost. They are the guys I always order my Arai's from, and they will normally match a price if you see one cheaper which is not often. They are what they are price wise.
We are on the Shoei and Arai’s at the moment. Doing research and shopping around, kids restless already.

We are on the Shoei and Arai’s at the moment. Doing research and shopping around, kids restless already.
I've worn both. Arai by far is the most comfortable helmet I've worn. If you check out their website, one of the things they taught for safety is a more round chin bar to break away and the fact it has more smooth surfaces and no sharp edges. There has got to be some reason they have not changed their basic design. All hand made.

I've worn both. Arai by far is the most comfortable helmet I've worn. If you check out their website, one of the things they taught for safety is a more round chin bar to break away and the fact it has more smooth surfaces and no sharp edges. There has got to be some reason they have not changed their basic design. All hand made.
Need to try something. Everytime he crashes (excluding a washout or tip
over) he lands on his head. Full dart into the ground.

isnt it also true that after your first concussion you are more easily concussed?

Yes and no. If you give adequate time to recover, you can recover 100%. It’s multiple wallops /
Follow up wallops in a short amount of time. Getting concussed while concussed.....that really exponentiates the damage.

Airoh saved my melon in a really hard crash. I also have a 6d but haven't really put it to the test. The Airoh is the best fitting and lightest helmet I've ever owned. But everyone has a different head, make sure your helmet fits him properly

Airoh saved my melon in a really hard crash. I also have a 6d but haven't really put it to the test. The Airoh is the best fitting and lightest helmet I've ever owned. But everyone has a different head, make sure your helmet fits him properly
I was there!

“Is that my bike ? No, that’s a Suzuki. Those are my graphics. Whoa. When did I get a suzuki?”

Me and crute: hmm.

Realistically, 6D has the best and most scientific evidence to reduce the chance of concussion by their design. I've switched up to 6D this year and put it to the test immediately at Pleasure Valley Regional in a "WARP 9" high speed crash that blew out my knee while in CTI knee braces. My melon was fine, got up and finished the moto when the track workers were trying to get the ambulance over to me because certainly I wasn't getting up or back on the bike. Of course helmet fit is key, but 6D has different thickness pads that are modular to make the helmet fit to your head just right. Read up on their system and construction, and see if anyone else comes close to making you feel good about wearing their helmet in a crash. It's worth it even if you don't have a hook up, you don't want to damage your brain. As The old saying goes - if you have a $10 head, get a $10 helmet.

IMG_2861.JPG

....This is a look at a C1 vertebrae- also named the Atlas.
The C2 is called the Axis.
Together they are specialized to allow a greater range of motion than normal vertebrae. As well as protecting the spinal cord, they are primarily responsible for facilitating and controlling the large range of movement that your neck has, and supporting the considerable weight of your skull at the tip of your spine.

.....It's not supposed to have the crack .....
I was in a 6D

My reading is leading me in the direction that the Shoei, 6D and Arai are all very close. He’s back to riding in a Alpinestars M10 he already had.I don’t think the Alpinestars is a permanent solution.

What did your helmet look like after your crash ?
My 6D Helmet busted the beak off during the crash, including breaking 2 of 3 plastic beak mounting screws and had lots of dirt scars all over it. When I hit the ground at 4th gear pinned 450 speed in the fastest section of the track, I know that my body did at least 4 or 5 complete out of control rolls before I ended up face down in the dirt. Felt my knee come out of it's normal range of motion during those rolls and my mind was concentrating on my knee. It swelled up huge immediately and required surgery to fix all of the damage from the crash. My head was fine.

Of course no helmet can protect you fully from injury, it depends on the crash and the way you hit the ground, and a million other factors that you are not in control of when you test your helmet and your head's limits in a crash. Who knows, I may have been fine with my previous Fox helmet with MIPS as well, but I made the choice to change to 6D for the scientific backed testing in protecting my brain. Why not? I want to keep my wits about me even though I'm destroying my knee more and more and the doctor said I'll be a knee replacement guy for sure. I have no ACL, PCL, or meniscus left in the knee, lots of arthritis starting, and plenty of cartilage damage in there, but he smoothed it out enough for me to feel well enough to sign up for Loretta's and race 2 motos before breaking my pelvis in the 3rd and final Moto which put me back in the hospital for 3 straight weeks and bigger problems than my knee. 3 straight weeks in hospitals, and 8 total weeks in a wheelchair, just back to walking some now. But back in PT and training for next year already, can't wait to ride in the spring.

Do you guys feel like the helmet should be almost uncomfortably tight at purchase so it wears in? I always make sure his cheeks are being squeezed and doesn’t move when he shakes his head. How am I really supposed to know if there’s good contact all around?

Back