Rowing Workouts

mshafer62

PR Addict
Bought a Concept 2 rower from a friend about 4 years ago.
The idea was to find an upper body workout to complement my indoor biking.
Every year about this time I swear to the guy in the mirror that I'm going to use it more this winter.
This year I'm actually going to do it, really I am!!

Noodling online I came across Dark Horse Rowing on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCshPuX_lIPyxu0U2iwhhBZg
They have numerous 20-30-40min complete workouts to lead you from warm-up to programing the monitor to cool down.
Levels from Beginner to Advanced. Even 1 for rehabbing injuries.
This is the workout I did yesterday

Anyone else have something they use like this?

Yes, had mine now for about 8 years or so.
Rowers are the s**t - !!!
I don't get on it much - at all - Ha.
But, a few others have used it and improvements / results are easily noticeable
Good stuff - !

I did some ski workouts with the recent warm weather. Had it pulling and revving pretty good!

GOPR0339_Moment(2).jpg
GOPR0339_Moment.jpg

I set me a can of Coke on mine the other day - was lettin the dog out the back door...and bam, there it was .....
The only piece of exercise equipment that I don't use for exercise is a Nordictrack Pro Skier. But it makes a perfect hanger for all my jet ski gear!

We got snow coming down - and it's f'n cold.
It's crazy to think we willingly get in the same water you couldn't get me NEAR (even with a wet suit) right now ---- mother nature is wild how quickly things change.

When I'm on a machine I'm usually most interested in the timer. And I try to do something aerobic for an hour or so. My intensity varies with how I'm feeling at the time. Maybe conditions will be right again here to get out on the icebreaker. Beats rowing any day. Lol

To program the monitor for intervals with a rest between:
-Select Workout (B) button
-New Workout (D) button
-Intervals (D) button
-Intervals/Time - use the (+) button to increase the time to the desired number
-Use the (Arrow) button to move the cursor to the flashing 1 below Rest Time
-Use the (+) button to increase the time to the desired number
-Check Mark (last button) sets the workout

If it doesn't work for you just give me a call and I will walk you through it.

So I don't have to program it each time, I just used the re-row function.

Lastly, I have my damper setting at 5 and I'm not working hard. This is base building for the next couple of months

Nice row Sharc! Glad you got it figured out.
Haven't been using my HR monitor, just working on form and consistency.
It's pretty hard to compare HR #s between people. I'll watch mine to see what my resting HR is
and also how fast it drops after a period of intensity.
Re the sore butt, Dark Horse Rowing has some seat cushion suggestions through their Amazon store.
The links are at the bottom of their Youtube videos. Currently wearing old bicycle shorts

Last edited:
I totally give myself credit for the OSU first half performance. I got on the treadmill when the game still looked iffy and 90 minutes later when I finished, 35 to 14. They're on their own for the second half though. Lol!

Back