AMA Competition Commissions

John250

PR Founding Father
Looking around the AMA website, I started reading about the AMA Competition Commissions. I looked at their purpose, read their latest agenda and minutes, etc. It is a volunteer position that you can apply for by September 1 of each year for two year terms.

Section 1. Purpose AMA Competition Commissions are volunteer bodies that consider, disseminate, amend, interpret and assist in the enforcement of both technical and operational rules for amateur and pro-am competition events sanctioned by the AMA. Section 2. Structure Individual AMA Competition Commissions represent a competition discipline sanctioned by the AMA or a general area that affects multiple types of racing.

AMA Competition Commission appointees may include the following:
1. A representative from Recognized District Organization (RDO)
2. A representative of an AMA-chartered promoter or club
3. AMA referee or AMA steward
4. A noted expert in the discipline represented by the particular commission

Ohio is represented by Dan Knecht on the AMA Motocross Commission. Anyone know him? I did a little looking and he looks to be from Springfield. He also looks to be a flat track guy, has a bunch of photos flat tracking on his FB. Springfield is just right up the road from us, and I've been around motocross in SW Ohio almost my whole life and I've never heard of this guy. He is representing us on the Motocross Competition commission. Does he ever attend any local races? Large National Motocross races? Talk to JO or Scott? Local promoters or riders? I am not bashing the guy here, perhaps he does. I am just asking the question. Seems like many of us would know the guy that is representing motocross in Ohio.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
I remember that name from my very short time with d11. I wanna say he was the Vice President maybe?? For some reason, and this is a total wag, but I think he was associated with treaty city.

John250

PR Founding Father
I remember that name from my very short time with d11. I wanna say he was the Vice President maybe?? For some reason, and this is a total wag, but I think he was associated with treaty city.
Ok. Quite possible since he is a flat track guy. But you confirmed my thought. The top dog with the OMA never sees or hears from him about motocross. Why is he not on the flat track commission?

663dad

PR Addict
Mike Burkeen is the new AMA motocross manager. Mike has been in the sport for many years. Mike's son well was a top amateur rider as well. I feel is the best choice the for the AMA since the Holidays, Mike Peltier and Kip Bigelow was in this position. Mike moved from the the carolina's and relocated to ohio few weeks ago, I am pretty confident he will make an appearance at few of the local races next year, which we haven't seen for almost a decade.

Last edited: