Rieju

Vet261

PR Addict
Did you know?

When Pierer Mobility AG (KTM) purchased GasGas, they only purchased the name and the Trials line/technology. The "old" GasGas enduro model technology was purchased by a different company in Spain -- Rieju!.

I saw one sitting on the floor at Tri-State Powersports 2 weeks ago and had no idea WTF it was until I looked it up.....

k01

PR Elite
GasGas makes for a better commercial than MR RANGER.

Ranger_Smith_1964_design.png

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
Bad ass - price point? edit: I see it now. Too much..

If I remember correct the GasGas employees / town didn't like the deal one bit

Last edited:

RocketRobin

PR Founding Father
Looks like the Rieju is it's own 2 stroke line of off road / enduro bikes based off of the former GasGas off road models they were making before KTM bought the rights to the name and the trials technology. They do not appear to be KTM based bikes and they have Kayaba suspension on them.

Really there are still 3 KTM based brands now - KTM, Husqvarna, and GasGas.

Vet261

PR Addict
I believe they "retired" Husaberg.

The original GasGas do sort of look KTM'ish, wonder if they were already sourcing some of the parts from KTM. Same with Beta -- they look KTM'ish too.

RocketRobin

PR Founding Father
Does KTM still own the Husaberg name?
I believe they still do own the Husaberg name but retired it when they bought Husqvarna, I think that was to avoid confusion between the 2 brands since they were originally linked as Husaberg started with Swedish Husqvarna engineers who lost their jobs when Cagiva bought bought Husqvarna. There is no more Husaberg at this point, so just 3 current brands of similar motorcycles.

k01

PR Elite
The original GasGas do sort of look KTM'ish, wonder if they were already sourcing some of the parts from KTM. Same with Beta -- they look KTM'ish too.
The Sherco has that look too. Maybe just call them European'ish?

JoshmuthaF

PR Founding Father
It's my understanding that Beta and Sherco use Wp chassis, not sure about rieju. But that would account for the similarity to KTM. Take a look at their swingarms, all the same style, just different finishes. Lets not forget about the SWM line of bikes, they're repurposed original red head era Husqvarna mills being used in their enduro bikes. SWM was an italian Trials bike manufacture.