VMD 2021

Vet261

PR Addict
gotime.gif

woo.gif

Dano762

PR Addict
Never been. Driving up tomorrow from SC. Don't know a sole who's going, but I think I'll have fun on an old bike. 1989 kx 250.
You will love it. Everyone is a friend at VMD and all want to share war stories about what it took to get them and their bikes to the race - such an amazing atmosphere.

These racers are there to race, meet, be social, talk vintage bikes, and do what ever it takes to help get your bike to the starting line - so generous. I have let folks borrow parts from my 78 RM250 C2 (top end) so they could get to race. Others have helped me when I couldn't get my '79 KX to fire. Or even explained why I needed better front brake routing so it wouldn't jam behind the number plate and crash me - again and again - John, your advice, you might remember it. I have never had that happen again and passed this pearl of wisdom on several times.

Enjoy and take some money for the swap meet section - probably 5-10 acres of bikes, parts, and nostalgia for sale.

Post is getting a little long but my favorite Mid-Ohio story is 15 years before I ever raced motocross. In about 1998, I stopped with the family on the way back from Niagara Falls - kids were 5 and 7. I bought an old MR50 for $225 at the swap meet as their first bike. They learned to ride that day in a field behind the motocross track. Soon there was a long line of kids waiting to take their turn. For a couple hours other dads brought their pre-mix and we just kept on riding. Such a good memory.

IMG_0420.JPG

Last edited:

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
Crute, you will enjoy, as long as you plan to camp the whole weekend and not just show up Sunday and do motos and leave. If you do the latter, you will think it sucks.
Actually racing there is like 10% of the fun.

Make sure everyone in your group has pit bikes available, there is so much to do and see.

I have found myself sucked in looking at old Suzuki PE's and Kawasaki KDX's again. MUST RESIST. I've raced the Hare Scramble a number of times, won it several times, but was always racing an MX bike. Racing an RM465 through tight woods is definitely an experience LOL. Racing the now DANO owned '78 RM250 C2 in pouring rain was another whole experience -- I won that year simply because I made it two laps and everyone else only made it one lap....IN AN HOUR. The only reason I made it two laps is because the bike is short and I could touch the ground and paddle through everything. That was the most difficult mud race I've ever done until the 2020 Wildcat LL regional topped it.

I wish they had a "modern" support class for the Hare Scramble because I was planning to race Kari's new CRF250f, but there is no class.

Oh yeah, coming in Friday night and will have the pit bikes and the 125 for saturday's modern 2 stroke class. Excited to see what this is all about.

honda907

PR Addict
Oh yeah, coming in Friday night and will have the pit bikes and the 125 for saturday's modern 2 stroke class. Excited to see what this is all about.
I was going to bring a new 125, but I'm gonna ride my 89 kx in the modern class on Saturday.

If I have fun like I did at mx rewind at unadilla, I'll be quite happy. Most fun I had since the mid 80's racing around the country

BILL88L

PR Addict
How's the parking situation going for the motocross pits?
That’s a really good question Mike. This place is packed already at 7:30 on Thursday night. I’m not sure how they’re going to fit everybody in this place with everybody coming still. Didn’t look like much was left in the motocross pits.

Attachments

• 23D4A8A9-181F-45FC-9A75-A571F885E1C5.jpeg
    23D4A8A9-181F-45FC-9A75-A571F885E1C5.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 179

trent56mx

PR Addict
I'll be there this weekend but just on my ttr cruising the pits and swap, not racing the CR.

Took a slam at Ray's a couple weeks ago. Feeling better, not good enough to race.

A little bummed but not too much. VMD is a one of a kind event, hometown area. Plenty of good friends to cheer for and hang out with, always have a great time.

honda907

PR Addict
This place is off the hook! It's like Unadilla around 1973 or 74!

Gosh, as I came in they said expect 100,000 plus people this weekend.

Mx pits are full.

Attachments

• 20210722_212541.jpg
    20210722_212541.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 185
  • 20210722_201252.jpg
    20210722_201252.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 196
  • 20210722_210452.jpg
    20210722_210452.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 188

BILL88L

PR Addict
That’s a really good question Mike. This place is packed already at 7:30 on Thursday night. I’m not sure how they’re going to fit everybody in this place with everybody coming still. Didn’t look like much was left in the motocross pits.
I hope this is a better picture
This place is off the hook! It's like Unadilla around 1973 or 74!

Gosh, as I came in they said expect 100,000 plus people this weekend.

Mx pits are full.

beenridin

PR Elite
Trump sighting!
Royal Enfield looked nice. Demo rides to boot.
Ama set up “ on any Sunday remastered for the 50 th anniversary.
We spent a few hours flipping new scooters we bought in a lot of 8. Man did we need a table like this one in the bike workshop they had up by the wall of DEATH!!!!

Attachments

• 07137012-7989-4F3C-AA3C-9BEE7A84A6D2.png
    07137012-7989-4F3C-AA3C-9BEE7A84A6D2.png
    671.8 KB · Views: 153
  • 7B565211-A4D9-4237-8F6B-C4629642BB85.jpeg
    7B565211-A4D9-4237-8F6B-C4629642BB85.jpeg
    293.6 KB · Views: 157
  • 39C62126-483C-4CED-8393-8B969DA6C43C.jpeg
    39C62126-483C-4CED-8393-8B969DA6C43C.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 152
  • 400B5613-FF0D-4079-A8D4-0A2265500745.jpeg
    400B5613-FF0D-4079-A8D4-0A2265500745.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 158

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
First time, had a blast. Coulnd't imagine being there without a pit bike. Holy crap is that place huge. So much to do and see. I could have made a day out of just blasting the trails on the pit bikes, a whole day watching just moto, or a day watching the road course.. much less finding time to cruise through the swap meet stuff and just do some people watching lol.

I need a few days of recovery after all of the activities and a lot of eye drops. Wish they'd drive a water truck around and water things down a little bit. That would probably be my only complaint! OK that and being parked way out where I was, I had no idea what was going on race day..the radio station didnt work, and I spent most of the day riding back and forth trying to figure out what was going on / what moto was up etc.

Will absolutely be back!!! maybe with a vintage bike by then...

honda907

PR Addict
First time, had a blast. Coulnd't imagine being there without a pit bike. Holy crap is that place huge. So much to do and see. I could have made a day out of just blasting the trails on the pit bikes, a whole day watching just moto, or a day watching the road course.. much less finding time to cruise through the swap meet stuff and just do some people watching lol.

I need a few days of recovery after all of the activities and a lot of eye drops. Wish they'd drive a water truck around and water things down a little bit. That would probably be my only complaint! OK that and being parked way out where I was, I had no idea what was going on race day..the radio station didnt work, and I spent most of the day riding back and forth trying to figure out what was going on / what moto was up etc.

Will absolutely be back!!! maybe with a vintage bike by then...
I had a blast. It was last minute (Tuesday) and I drove up by myself. I'll be back next year.

You can race the modern class Saturday with a modern or vintage bike. I raced my 1989 KX 250 both days.

I found out my old bike isn't a disadvantage to a new bike in racing conditions such as Mid Ohio had. I also found out that its a dogfight to do well. Racing is racing and I was told it was good racing!

Met old racing people whom I hadn't seen since the early and mid eighties. A few have moved to CO and CA.

Only downfall to racing is there is less time to go see the sights.

Found out I still can't ride a HS course even on an old bike . Some things don't change.

Thanks to NQ1965 and his family. Mike, Nancy and Anthony. Mike may not know it, but if not for his family, and their hospitality, I wouldn't have really had anyone to talk to all weekend. I hope I wasn't a pain and congratulations on your podiums.

Attachments

• 20210724_092036.jpg
    20210724_092036.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 207
  • 20210723_105650.jpg
    20210723_105650.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

NQ1965

PR Elite
I had a blast. It was last minute (Tuesday) and I drove up by myself. I'll be back next year.

You can race the modern class Saturday with a modern or vintage bike. I raced my 1989 KX 250 both days.

I found out my old bike isn't a disadvantage to a new bike in racing conditions such as Mid Ohio had. I also found out that its a dogfight to do well. Racing is racing and I was told it was good racing!

Met old racing people whom I hadn't seen since the early and mid eighties. A few have moved to CO and CA.

Only downfall to racing is there is less time to go see the sights.

Found out I still can't ride a HS course even on an old bike . Some things don't change.

Thanks to NQ1965 and his family. Mike, Nancy and Anthony. Mike may not know it, but if not for his family, and their hospitality, I wouldn't have really had anyone to talk to all weekend. I hope I wasn't a pain and congratulations on your podiums.
Not a pain at all. Was an absolute pleasure. 2021 was our 12th year attending Vintage Motorcycle Days, 10th year racing. But our absolute favorite aspect of the event is all of the good folks we have met and become friends with.
Upon meeting other racers there you never quite know what to expect. But when that person is in his 60's, and then goes out, has a bad last place start off of a full gate, and then he races his way all the way to the front in 4 laps, it catches your attention that this guy is the real McCoy. This guy is a real motocross racer.
Afterwards, we have race stories that never get old. And the inspiration boost I get from it fills my motivation tank.
Congrats on your 1st place and championship plaque. You raced well!

NQ1965

PR Elite
When we arrived home from Vintage Days on Sunday evening, we got unloaded but had to immediately finish packing for trip to Florida, leaving Monday morning. So I'm behind on getting these posted up. Most of these pic's were from the cameras, some of these were pic's I loaded to facebook, but I do have quite a few others that I want to load onto Pitracer only, but I still have to reduce to a smaller file size. Will take me a day or two to get done.

Nancy shot most all of the photos I'll be posting. She does pretty Ok with the cameras. She's also my Cheerleader, Team Captain and Crew Leader, haha.
A-1.jpg

I was very pleased to be lined up next to a familiar Pitracer "racer" for the Hare Scramble on Friday. Bill and I have raced together quite a few times now over the years.
A-2.jpg

My Hare Scramble starts have always been "s**t", so I decided this to be the year to change that. Was very pleased to lead the pack, at least out of the field area.
A-3.JPG

A-4.JPG

The fun was short lived. There was a nasty hill climb that I managed to get over on lap one, but knew it would be a bitch when I came back for lap 2.

Sure enough, when I arrived, bikes were backed and stacked. I tried repeatedly but just couldn't get the rear tire to hook up. On my 5th attempt, totally exhausted, crashed over hard and broke the clutch perch. My Hare Scramble race was over. Bill Lane #88L was a huge help to me, and I owe him a beer. We both landed on the casualties list for that damn hill with DNF's.
A-6.jpg

12:00 Session
IMG_8349 copy.jpg

IMG_0794 copy.jpg

IMG_0797 copy.jpg

IMG_0798 copy.jpg

IMG_0800 copy.jpg

IMG_0802 copy.jpg

IMG_0873 (2) copy.jpg

IMG_0874 copy.jpg

IMG_0876 copy.jpg

IMG_0877 copy.jpg

IMG_0878 copy.jpg

IMG_1025 copy.jpg

IMG_1027 copy.jpg

IMG_1030 copy.jpg

IMG_1089 copy.jpg

IMG_1090 (2) copy.jpg

IMG_1091 copy.jpg

IMG_1114 copy.jpg
IMG_8394 copy.jpg

IMG_4603 copy.jpg

IMG_4604 copy.jpg

IMG_4608 copy.jpg

IMG_4901.JPG

IMG_4938.JPG

IMG_4939.JPG

IMG_5129.JPG

IMG_8470 copy.jpg

IMG_8477 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Vet261

PR Addict
Nice pics, always good hanging out and BS'ing with you and Nancy. One of these years you just need to camp for the weekend! So much fun!

Now that I've sold about 20 bikes and am down to 11 total, I'm thinking it's nearing time for me to buy a real CC bike. I haven't raced the CC in many years and always did it on an MX bike. Still fun, but I'd like to do it sometime on a real CC bike!

Can't wait till next year!!!!

NQ1965

PR Elite
These last pic's, Nancy took of Anthony's races for the weekend and there are some pretty good shots.

We were stewing over how many years it had been since he last raced Vintage Days, and it's been like seven years we're thinking. He struggled with the Cross Country race back then and vowed he wasn't going to line up for that again. But, once he decided to race this year, he thought he would at least have some fun trying the hare scramble again. So........ When I finally made it back to the pits with my broken bike and the horror story of the hill climb struggle, I told him he might want to change his mind and skip it. Anthony pondered it for a bit, and said "to hell with it....I came here to race"!

So he lines up, gets a mid pack start and gives it a go. Nancy and I went to the woods and was watching and waiting for him. He was delayed quite a long while trying to get that first lap in. He finally emerged back to the woods opening, got one complete lap in at the scoring tent and headed for the truck. As with my race earlier, they were backed and stacked on that hill climb, and after finally getting up the hill, he was done.
The next day, we found out that he was the only rider in his class, and he ended up with the #1 Plaque. Talk about crazy luck.

Saturday motocross was really fun as well, as he signed up for the Free Modern class. That was the 1st time that he was part of a race that had three full gate divisions, and a LCQ. So he at least got two race's in that day, and if he would of made it into the top eight of the LCQ, he would of been in three moto's.

Then on Sunday he raced "R2- Vet 30+", and "R2- Open class". He held his own and did ok. He thoroughly enjoyed being at Vintage Motorcycle Days again.
====================================

His group, Friday Cross Country race.
IMG_4574.JPG

Anthony is #357...2002 CR250...... POWERED by METAL MULISHA, (haha... I tease him on his poor taste and bike prep.)
IMG_0622 copy.jpg

The Kawasaki #04, (Greg Lykens) right next to the FMF banner, got hung up in the gate, and came off the line last place. He then passed his way all the way to third I believe. Was very impressive.
He also took 1st place in the R1-Masters 50+ Class. Greg was pitted next to us and really impressed me for being 62 years old.

IMG_0623 copy.jpg

Greg Lykens.... Has Speed!
IMG_0957 copy.jpg

IMG_0958 copy.jpg

IMG_0959 copy.jpg

IMG_0960 copy.jpg

Anthony got a poor launch off the gate, (behind #3 Yamaha).
IMG_0961 copy.jpg

IMG_0962 copy.jpg

But he raced to the front and made the turn. (barely).

IMG_0967 copy.jpg

IMG_0968 copy.jpg

He held on to it.

IMG_0969 copy.jpg

IMG_4657 copy.jpg

IMG_4658 copy.jpg

Back of the pack on this start.

IMG_4660 copy.jpg

IMG_4661 copy.jpg

IMG_4662 copy.jpg

IMG_4663 copy.jpg

IMG_4664 copy.jpg

John Kreps (#261), on the right, waiting for the second gate drop.

IMG_4752 copy.jpg

IMG_5014 copy.jpg

IMG_5016 copy.jpg

IMG_5017 copy.jpg

R2 - Vet 30+..... 3rd place. Not bad for his first motocross race in many, many years.

IMG_5201 copy.jpg

IMG_8476 copy.jpg

Greg Lykens taking the 1st over Greg Wheeler. No small accomplishment.

221588143_4513611355338244_4397218262060157842_n.jpg

R-1 50+.JPG

Last edited: