Explain, eroc, gncc, hare scrambles, etc in Ohio

4DAIVI PAI2K5

PR Addict
So boy fractured his tibia. Mom was fine, now a week later she is screaming sell the bikes he is going to die.
He wants to ride and race.
My thought was to see if he can try woods racing. Little slower pace, no jumps and such, maybe she will come around and he will still be able to do what he loves since he was two years old.
I need all the info and places he can practice at. I'm completely clueless when he comes to this stuff.

Hare Scrambles are ok, but they are brutal abuse on the bikes going 2hrs long. Plus the hill climbs, creek crossings can suck as well.
The GP's are a sweet and safe alternative to motocross on courses that are well laid out.

Briarcliff's woods loop, mixed in with some of the C track is a good place to start.

My views on riding and racing have changed a bit with time, particularly with the grandkids.
I'm more interested in them loving the sport, but knowing how to do it, and enjoy it safely.
There's a natural tendency in our sport to take chances, cast caution aside. Kind of foolish thinking when children are involved.

That being said, my oldest granddaughter was in heavy gymnastics training last year and earlier this year, and I see that same egotistical push in that sport as well. Was happy my daughter finally pull her out. Serious injury potentials out there for kids aside from the normal's of simply growing up while having fun doing what kids do.

My views on riding and racing have changed a bit with time, particularly with the grandkids.
I'm more interested in them loving the sport, but knowing how to do it, and enjoy it safely.
There's a natural tendency in our sport to take chances, cast caution aside. Kind of foolish thinking when children are involved.

That being said, my oldest granddaughter was in heavy gymnastics training last year and earlier this year, and I see that same egotistical push in that sport as well. Was happy my daughter finally pull her out. Serious injury potentials out there for kids aside from the normal's of simply growing up while having fun doing what kids do.
One of his friends has broke her arm twice, and another friend broke her arm all playing soccer in the last year.
Both his broken bones have been on his dirt bike. First one was a tiny jump cased to a dead stop and fell over. Elbow landed on a rock.
Tibia this time, over jumped the double into the face of the triple by a couple feet. He had his heel on the peg when he landed and it sent the impact up his leg.
I don't want him getting hurt but I also don't want him in a fear bubble. I want him to chase his passions in life.
He is a very emotional kid. Very loving, yet has his mother's attitude, his grandmothers competitiveness. He gets very frusted during team sports, so having an individual sport such as moto is huge for him. It's all on him.

I've been running more off road than moto the last couple years. I was tired of all the sitting around at a moto race and just a little burnt out on it. I ran the Full Gas Sprint Enduro series that is now gone and replaced by the US Sprint Enduro Series. It was a good cross over series. They have a "cross loop" witch is mostly grass track and an "enduro loop" that is similar to a hare scramble course. They run each loop 3 times in a day alternating back and forth. All minis run in the morning then big bikes after that. After each loop you get anywhere from a 15 to 40 minute break than go back out again. From start of the first one until completely finished was approximately 4 to 5 hours. There are no large jumps and the enduro loop is challenging at times but they don't want people being stuck to hold up the program. Single file start so it eliminates the chance of a first turn crash. You race against the clock not head to head. I wish someone around here would pick up this format. It works great for dads that ride also.

The closest thing locally is a harescramble or GP. They are good practice for the Sprints but you ride 1 1/2 - 2 hours depending on the promoter and class you ride. They can be a little harder on the bike if its wet and really muddy but after a year of doing them my buke doesn't look any worse than after a year of moto and practice. The only thing I don't like about off road locally is there at least 3 organizations running races that a lot of them conflict schedule wise. You have EROC, OXCR, XCCR and Fastraxx doing their own thing. Then throw in AWRCS, and NEGP national enduros and its pretty confusing to keep up with.

Michigan also has some Sprint enduros but I've never ran one up there but would like to give one a try.

The kids run a shortened course and usually less time than the bike bikes at all of these events.

I do feel they are a little safer than moto but anything can happen when you ride.

Man the tree dodgers are blazing fast. I wouldn’t think it’s accurate to say woodsy style racing is safer. There’s no trees on a motocross track.

Everything is dangerous. My daughter flipped off the back of the couch the other day onto our ceramic tile, that was pretty nasty for a minute. A helmet on and falling on the dirt off of a PW wouldn’t be as bad as what she did just in the house.

But I get it, I’m not sure...my mom watched me break a lot of bones growing up and have surgeries and one thing is they always let me to continue to race. I remember my dad pulling me off the track once because I had a concussion and we went home. We were at SVR and I fell in a corner. Hit my head snd I couldn’t remember the track. Was casing doubled over shooting tabletops. Had no clue what the hell I was doing. So dad pulled the plug that day. i was very fortunate that my parents still gave me the choice even though I know it had to be very hard to watch. Especially now that I have kids of my own you cannot understand that type of anxiety watching your kids race when you have no kids.

I spent 2 years giving the tree dodging a shot. I ran eroc, awrcs, and gncc. By far the best is gncc. The travel sucks but it’s a much more professional operation than the others. The course is wider 4’ so the speeds are fast. He is young enough he will catch on quick. The other thing you will like about gncc is everything is on time. You know when your race starts and you know when you’re going to be home every week.

I was a bit of a smart ass in our argument, when I asked her if he was going to be allowed to swim, ride bicycles, ride in cars, seek medical treatment since those are all statistically more dangerous then dirt bikes. That's when she hung up on me.
Remind her about the number of young kids who don’t have dirt bikes and pick drugs and alcohol to kill them selfs. It’s easy to make bad choices when your family isn’t taking you racing.

I spent 2 years giving the tree dodging a shot. I ran eroc, awrcs, and gncc. By far the best is gncc. The travel sucks but it’s a much more professional operation than the others. The course is wider 4’ so the speeds are fast. He is young enough he will catch on quick. The other thing you will like about gncc is everything is on time. You know when your race starts and you know when you’re going to be home every week.
The travel for gncc is a killer.

Where are races ran in Ohio?

Last edited:
Honestly, if your making these decisions based on fear of injuries, you probably should just give up the motorcycles. You can have these injuries on the motorcycle in the woods or on a motocross track. s**t happens.

Honestly, if your making these decisions based on fear of injuries, you probably should just give up the motorcycles. You can have these injuries on the motorcycle in the woods or on a motocross track. s**t happens.
He wants to ride and race, he called me upset last night saying, dad you arent selling my bikes are you? Please don't.
Mom is freaked out.

over jumped the double into the face of the triple by a couple feet.

i have a buddy that did that when he was ~20, hes in a wheelchair now. nothing from the bellybutton down.

be careful with whatever you guys do. when i was 10 i couldn't see past the end of the week let alone into my 20s and 30s and beyond.

i have a buddy that did that when he was ~20, hes in a wheelchair now. nothing from the bellybutton down.

be careful with whatever you guys do. when i was 10 i couldn't see past the end of the week let alone into my 20s and 30s and beyond.
Scary for sure. When I was doing nursing I took care of a gentleman that was paralyzed from the neck down from an intertube /swimming accident.
All we can do is migrate the risk, and try to enjoy life.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Once things settle down down and kid is able and cleared to ride, (if that is what you decide to do) probably a good idea to look into getting some training to help him be safer on the track.

Some people think training is just to be faster, but for us it's about giving our kid the tools he needs to be safe, so if he ever decides he wants to go fast, he has the ability to do it safely. He has been hurt and definitely doesn't want to do that again. All kids react to it differently. Some kids go back out same speed as before injury, and get the same results.

Plenty of options in Ohio for training. Maybe something that may ease Mom's mind as well.

Back