Pro/Ams in Ohio? Where’d ya go

DelBalso28

PR Addict
Any reasoning why we seem to have lost a couple good Pro/Ams in Ohio?
For as much as our state seems to be affiliated with the AMA I’d think we’d secure a couple rounds on the schedule pretty easily as we have in the past with King of the Cliff(this weekend) and Chillitowns July race*.
(*Edit to add Chillitown has confirmed they are running this race, just isn’t on the pro/Am schedule yet.)

Are we just dropping the ball in that department? Surely past years events have been successful enough to continue what seem to be annual races.

For reference Pennsylvania has 5 rounds, Texas has 7, and there’s plenty of races on the schedule that appear to be “whatever’s” compared to our bigger races here.

Also noticed they nixed Redbuds July pro am as well.**
(**Edit to add that Ive contacted them and they are planning on running this race, just not on the schedule yet.)

I’ve found myself wanting to chase this schedule around a bit these past couple years, and with half of the “close to home” races being cancelled last year due to covid, and seeing this years schedules takeaways, my question has been raised.

Last edited:

hershey

PR Elite
It seems many other areas are growing in the mx scene, Ohio isn't doing bad either. Maybe the spot light is in other areas? Who decides where those races are held?

DelBalso28

PR Addict
It seems many other areas are growing in the mx scene, Ohio isn't doing bad either. Maybe the spot light is in other areas? Who decides where those races are held?
I guess I’m just wondering why we seem to have lost the Pro/Am portion of the same events being held. Pretty much thinking of king of the cliff and Chillitowns shootout.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
They normally ask when you turn in sanctions. I haven’t opted for one in awhile. The sanction fee is slightly higher, not enough to deter me, but honestly I feel like it’s more trouble than it’s worth. It adds a few A class guys, I spend more money, and at least I don’t think it draws anymore riders or spectators. Plus the out of towners expect an AQ or regional like experience for spending less money. I’d say I’m less than interested. If the pro ams were more like an AQ I’d do it again

DelBalso28

PR Addict
They normally ask when you turn in sanctions. I haven’t opted for one in awhile. The sanction fee is slightly higher, not enough to deter me, but honestly I feel like it’s more trouble than it’s worth. It adds a few A class guys, I spend more money, and at least I don’t think it draws anymore riders or spectators. Plus the out of towners expect an AQ or regional like experience for spending less money. I’d say I’m less than interested. If the pro ams were more like an AQ I’d do it again
Gotcha, thank you for the response.
I just saw it as a missed opportunity, but if it doesn’t financially make sense and ends up costing the promoter even more I can understand why our tracks are no longer trying to secure a round on the schedule.

I do know a few guys appreciate them, but they aren’t payin the bills so I get it.

DelBalso28

PR Addict
Drove 8.5 hours to this Pro/am in Virginia this past weekend.
I was scratching my head quite a bit over the weekend thinking about all the great tracks we have that can put on a better event. The Lake County Fair being one of them. Regardless it was a track to race and I appreciated that.
I know I got an answer already, and maybe talking down this track isn’t helping, but damn Ohio is way sicker than this. Just sharing

8CCA2B3D-AE2B-4C9C-9D17-0F016895314F.jpeg

32BA1B49-4096-4DB8-B475-E9ED7321E606.jpeg

Still a good turnout despite some negative input I saw leading up to the event.
Pay no attention to me, I had my weekend ruined my first moto.

Last edited: