Battle race .... lets poke the bear.

hershey

PR Elite
So I will get hammered here, no doubt. And JO will probably block my number again but it needs to be said.

If the OMA really wants to make the Battle series the best in Ohio, with the best tracks (and they are) we have a problem.

We have 4 Battle races this year, some how a PA track is part of the Ohio State Championship this year. Not an issue. Malvern ran a tight program and a fantastic track this weekend, as always. The turnout was terrible for a Battle. Barely more than a standard night race. Why??? It isn't his track prep, layout or program. All have a history of being one of the best in Ohio. All 3 other tracks that have a Battle race also had events running yesterday. Yes....all 3.

The OMA has dismally poor turnouts compared to the Race Ohio series now. The entire premise that started the OMA was to be better than the CRA. How is the OMA going to be good if they can't even work together as a team? How is today's OMA any better then the CRA of the day when the OMA was formed ? Back then we had 2 and sometimes 3 races a weekend. The turnouts were the same as now also. Yet today we have weekends with no races. Only 9 races total at malvern, which always had 15 - 20 races a year.

I'm not trying to bash anyone here. My only concern is where is the OMA headed? I want tracks to prosper and continue to be there for us to race at but I see things going the wrong direction, it seems that each track in the OMA is operating based on their needs only and not for the OMA as a team. We need this to continue in the best possible fashion for all of us, riders and tracks. In this post, I'm hoping to bring awareness and ideas for improvement so we all have continued and improved racing experiences.

MX_Implements

PR Addict
Personally I think part of the problem is location. I live in CBUS and it's 2.5 hr drive for me to Malvern .. Minus BC and 62 the rest of the tracks are 2+ hrs away for me.

I can get to every Race Ohio track in 1.5 hrs or less. Plus I would bet Cbus south has much larger racing population than Cbus north.

Vet261

PR Addict
Southern Ohio always drew larger crowds. Likely due to being able to draw riders from 4 directions. Northern Ohio is limited directionally because of Lake Erie.

So, basically once the new Buckeye series was up and running, even with all the convoluted crazy last minute schedule changes, they have a larger base to draw from.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Since your poking the bear, let me stick a "fork" in it. Nearly 700 at East Fork on the same day...

I can not believe the numbers we are getting in the south... Never been so happy to be so wrong. Moto is no where near dead. It just likes southern Ohio better.
The battle idea was a great one. But maybe like J.O. said before. Perhaps its run its course. We will see if the numbers hold up all year for the entire Race Ohio series. If so, then maybe people just want more then 3 or 4 per year.

I'm with you on the PA track being included in an Ohio series? Is that like "Jumbo Shrimp"?

John250

PR Founding Father
Hershey and I talked about it. I've always been a supporter of the Battle Series. I can remember putting flyers on cars for the first one at DC and DMC to help promote the event. Those four races, could be the best four events in Ohio (and PA) in 2021 for sure if they were promoted.

Matthew and I had to miss Malvern. The Buckeye Series banquet was Saturday Night (due to Covid cancellations) so we hung back to attend the banquet we had already paid to attend. Other wise we would have been at Malvern for sure. We are still planning on running the other three rounds of the series.

I agree with Hershey, best decision would have been for the four battle tracks to not schedule races or practice on the Battle. Perhaps in 2022, they should offer double points for your home series if you race the Battle rounds. All four count towards your "home" series points, and pay double the points. Then people from the Buckeye Series, OMA and PAMX would all have an incentive to attend the four races, and they could all be monster turnouts! Skip Saturday practice and run some classes on Saturday and some on Sunday like a qualifier if there are too many people. Just a thought.
I for one would like to see these 4 battle races continue and get back to what they were 3 or 4 years ago.

That being said, Knox is 100% right. The Buckeye Series has it going on. The races are packed! I suggest everyone show up to COCR and DMC in pick up trucks, because they do not have enough parking for 60 foot rigs.

Toddco327

PR Addict
We need to lock this thread. Something is happening....

People are agreeing. And giving constructive, good ideas. There doesn’t seem to be yelling and nobody’s caps lock key is stuck on.

This is how moto ends.... the most controversial posters have agreed on a topic.

Brap!

hershey

PR Elite
John259 is the only one who gets my post.

I'm not saying one track or organization is better than another. Or that one should have more riders or equal riders. My one and only point is this:

If you want the battle series to be what it's is claimed to be ... an Ohio state championship....and you want it to be the best it can be for both the riders and the organizations... then don't shoot yourself in the foot! Have some unity on them and respect for the tracks involved! Don't run events on top of the battle races....end of story. I can't understand why that is such a difficult concept to understand.

For the OMA in general, it needs unity in house if it wants to not be CRA 2.0 that they didn't want to be.

I'm glad the race ohio series numbers are up. I'm glad that chillitown draws massive numbers. It means the sport is alive and the future is bright for me and more importantly my son to have races to attend for years to come. I just want it to be organized and stay healthy instead of seeing history repeat itself with tracks and or fun series coming and going.

pape718

PR Member
I agree we always set our schedule up to race the battle races in our race schedule because it was a premiere race series but if everybody is going to race the same weekend we will just travel to which track is going to have the best competition and biggest gates and not worry about a series

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
I thought the malvern track was kick ass, maybe the best malvern I’ve ever ridden. It was really really good. Bobby and crew has done an amazing job.

I overlooked the pamx conflict, that’s something if PVR occurs in 2022, Jeff and I will look at more closely. The EF thing is all Scott. He tried to change it to Saturday and the parents lost their minds and he moved it back. I tried. So what should be done here??? You tell me, lol??

I think your still blocked DHDS01 btw. And I will get you back Pape for the over watering right before moto 1 Saturday, on a side note, that was sketchier than high points over watering, I will get you a trophy.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
So I will get hammered here, no doubt. And JO will probably block my number again but it needs to be said.

If the OMA really wants to make the Battle series the best in Ohio, with the best tracks (and they are) we have a problem.

We have 4 Battle races this year, some how a PA track is part of the Ohio State Championship this year. Not an issue. Malvern ran a tight program and a fantastic track this weekend, as always. The turnout was terrible for a Battle. Barely more than a standard night race. Why??? It isn't his track prep, layout or program. All have a history of being one of the best in Ohio. All 3 other tracks that have a Battle race also had events running yesterday. Yes....all 3.

The OMA has dismally poor turnouts compared to the Race Ohio series now. The entire premise that started the OMA was to be better than the CRA. How is the OMA going to be good if they can't even work together as a team? How is today's OMA any better then the CRA of the day when the OMA was formed ? Back then we had 2 and sometimes 3 races a weekend. The turnouts were the same as now also. Yet today we have weekends with no races. Only 9 races total at malvern, which always had 15 - 20 races a year.

I'm not trying to bash anyone here. My only concern is where is the OMA headed? I want tracks to prosper and continue to be there for us to race at but I see things going the wrong direction, it seems that each track in the OMA is operating based on their needs only and not for the OMA as a team. We need this to continue in the best possible fashion for all of us, riders and tracks. In this post, I'm hoping to bring awareness and ideas for improvement so we all have continued and improved racing experiences.
Or is racing in the north dead?? Great track, normal quad turnout, but bikes way down. Where’s the northerners??

They all quit because of no indoor races? Lights weren’t on? vet261 couldn’t drive 5-6 hours for vet only?? Sounds like the northern excuse bus is full and headed out.....

hershey

PR Elite
I thought the malvern track was kick ass, maybe the best malvern I’ve ever ridden. It was really really good. Bobby and crew has done an amazing job.

I overlooked the pamx conflict, that’s something if PVR occurs in 2022, Jeff and I will look at more closely. The EF thing is all Scott. He tried to change it to Saturday and the parents lost their minds and he moved it back. I tried. So what should be done here??? You tell me, lol??

I think your still blocked DHDS01 btw. And I will get you back Pape for the over watering right before moto 1 Saturday, on a side note, that was sketchier than high points over watering, I will get you a trophy.
The only thing that should be done is very simple..... I will explain again. If you have a Battle race, you don't hold any event on any other battle race date. It should be a mandatory rule. No practice, no race, no banquet.....nothing. In order to hold a battle race, make a promoter sign an agreement with those terms. Including yourself.

North Ohio racing isn't dead, just too many options. What turnout would you expect when Pleasure Valley has a 5k pro purse race that is the last race before the youth regional, Eastfrork RESCHEDULED his first race with a banquet and BC is open for practice all on the same weekend as the Malvern battle round? Even if out of all that only 20 riders went to one of the other 3 events that battle promoters had... we spent 250 bucks for a family of 4 with one rider racing 2 classes. Let's say that's high. Let's say 150 average expenditure per 20 riders. That's 3k out of Malverns pocket. That's a good chunk of over head money. Bad business, bad mojo.

And yes, I figured I was still blocked lmao

pape718

PR Member

Actually I didn't know someone else went out and water after your guys practice I'd like to take credit for it but cant.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
It’s hard to get to northeast Ohio unless you’re going to OIR. that’s the premier spot. Major highways lead there from Toledo, Columbus, Pittsburgh.....

Lake Erie puts a damper on drawing racers for sure. Location partially I’m sure has to do with it.

pape718

PR Member
The only thing that should be done is very simple..... I will explain again. If you have a Battle race, you don't hold any event on any other battle race date. It should be a mandatory rule. No practice, no race, no banquet.....nothing. In order to hold a battle race, make a promoter sign an agreement with those terms. Including yourself.

North Ohio racing isn't dead, just too many options. What turnout would you expect when Pleasure Valley has a 5k pro purse race that is the last race before the youth regional, Eastfrork RESCHEDULED his first race with a banquet and BC is open for practice all on the same weekend as the Malvern battle round? Even if out of all that only 20 riders went to one of the other 3 events that battle promoters had... we spent 250 bucks for a family of 4 with one rider racing 2 classes. Let's say that's high. Let's say 150 average expenditure per 20 riders. That's 3k out of Malverns pocket. That's a good chunk of over head money. Bad business, bad mojo.

I do agree if the battles are to stay big events the tracks shouldn't be going against each other. The overhead for you guys is big to keep these events premiere race, but if everybody is taking money out of each other pocket why would any track want to keep having a battle race if your not getting a good return for your efforts

John250

PR Founding Father
I do agree if the battles are to stay big events the tracks shouldn't be going against each other. The overhead for you guys is big to keep these events premiere race, but if everybody is taking money out of each other pocket why would any track want to keep having a battle race if your not getting a good return for your efforts
I like my idea of all four races counting for OMA, PAMX and Buckeye Series points, and make them double point races. This would drive people to these four races for sure, because it would amount to something. Then of course have Battle only points for the 4 races.

DelBalso28

PR Addict
Or is racing in the north dead?? Great track, normal quad turnout, but bikes way down. Where’s the northerners??

They all quit because of no indoor races? Lights weren’t on? vet261 couldn’t drive 5-6 hours for vet only?? Sounds like the northern excuse bus is full and headed out.....
I usually try to make the battle series races, but I went to PVR this past weekend, and I have a regional during Briars battle. That’ll void me out of caring about the series this year.
No excuses here, just too many options, as in the point of this thread.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father

BC had 60, of which I saw two guys that race, no exaggeration. 2. And if they didn’t go pamx, EF, or malvern, I guarantee you their riding beans or 62 if I’m closed. You can lead a horse to water, but.....so unless you can shut them all down, meaning you own them all, there’s no way to achieve what your talking about, and if you hadn’t noticed, I owe lots of money to lots of people. So 60 helps pay a fuel bill. I had no logical choice but to be open and collect some money from the guys who just want to ride, plus we need seat time, no other tracks with quads that I knew of Sunday

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
Actually I didn't know someone else went out and water after your guys practice I'd like to take credit for it but cant.
Well your still at fault for piss poor worker management!!! That’s like Lowe’s telling me it’s not there fault the third party delivery guys they hire suck at delivery!!!