Tire reviews on Ohio soil

tj131

PR Member
I’m really curious to hear some real
World reviews from Ohio riders, not California speedway tracks.

I ran starcross 5 soft front and medium rear, good life and overall performance. What do you guys prefer?
Looking at Bridgestone x30/40, pirelli, starcross again and possible mx3s.
If it helps, I strictly ride Moto mostly
Central Ohio.

jj584

PR Addict
We run mostly the 33’s,if I can’t get those than pirelli. Pirelli are more expensive for me though. I had a Michelin rear soft chunk lugs in the sand of NC, I found that weird and never bought one again.

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
I'm running pirelli now - they make a practice tire that's about $130 a set I run until I have a race coming up then I swap them for a Pirelli MX32.

I got 20 hours out of the practice before it chunked. Not much time on the 32 yet but I like so far.

Vet261

PR Addict
I'm willing to bet I've used more variety of brands of tires than most people out there. Dunlop, Bridgestone, Artrax, Maxxis, Kenda, Pirelli, Sedona, IRC, Michelin, and most recently the new TUSK tires.

My favorite all time tire ever is the Bridgestone M403/404 combo. We used these tires everywhere, and I mean everywhere. I still have a few new ones and slide them up on my 90's bikes (they aren't the fat size for my 450).

90% of the people out there now seem to just get hung on whatever the "cool" Dunlop at the time is, which right now is the MX33. If you actually review the specs, for Ohio/PA you really should be running the MX53. But from talking to Dunlop folks they tell me the 33 has a much wider range while the 53 is more suited to hard only. I've used both, no complaints.

I've run a ton of the new model Bridgestone X30 and X20. They are fine, I don't really have any complaints. I lean toward the X20 but that's mainly because I don't actually ride a ton in Ohio anymore compared to before.
I have a set of X40 on the rack right now, which are considered the more hard terrain, but I've read some good reviews on them stating they work well in a variety. Actually I might have a set of each on the rack, X20, X30, X40.

So I recently was intrigued by the Tusk tires and have a set on my 450 now. I have the "EMEX T35" which you pronounce MX haha. So far they have worked good and held up good too! Again going on specs for Ohio/PA we probably want the T45 rear, however the T35 has worked pretty nicely all around in a lot of different conditions so far.

Last edited:

jj584

PR Addict
I'm willing to bet I've used more variety of brands of tires than most people out there. Dunlop, Bridgestone, Artrax, Maxxis, Kenda, Pirelli, Sedona, IRC, Michelin, and most recently the new TUSK tires.

My favorite all time tire ever is the Bridgestone M403/404 combo. We used these tires everywhere, and I mean everywhere. I still have a few new ones and slide them up on my 90's bikes (they aren't the fat size for my 450).

90% of the people out there now seem to just get hung on whatever the "cool" Dunlop at the time is, which right now is the MX33. If you actually review the specs, for Ohio/PA you really should be running the MX53. But from talking to Dunlop folks they tell me the 33 has a much wider range while the 53 is more suited to hard only. I've used both, no complaints.

I've run a ton of the new model Bridgestone X30 and X20. They are fine, I don't really have any complaints. I lean toward the X20 but that's mainly because I don't actually ride a ton in Ohio anymore compared to before.
I have a set of X40 on the rack right now, which are considered the more hard terrain, but I've read some good reviews on them stating they work well in a variety. Actually I might have a set of each on the rack, X20, X30, X40.

So I recently was intrigued by the Tusk tires and have a set on my 450 now. I have the "EMEX T35" which you pronounce MX haha. So far they have worked good and held up good too! Again going on specs for Ohio/PA we probably want the T45 rear, however the T35 has worked pretty nicely all around in a lot of different conditions so far.
I've ran the 53's before and I did not like them. I think if the track is completely hard pack than its a decent choice but the 33 or even before with the 3 gripped just as good on the hard and was superior in the soft. The 33 does have a short life span though, TV land three hours after it opens, the burg or even OIR late in the day will destroy a new one in one ride.

tank166

PR Addict
Currently I have Dunlop 53 for practice (limited prep) and hoosier for race/ full prep.
I agree with the Bridgestone 403/404 as a great all around tire combo.
I only have 5 hours on hoosier on my 500 and so far very happy with them but can't comment on longevity yet.

DelBalso28

PR Addict
I’ll say it depends on the bike a bit for me. I can get by with whatever on a 250, but a 450 I really have to pay attention to what I’m mounting up when balancing torque and traction quite a bit more.

I’m a Dunlop nut, but I really believe in the geomax design for durability and longevity, and there’s an excellent range of compounds to choose from.

Mx33s are my go to for racing pretty much anywhere. Once I get a couple races out of them they go on the practice wheelset and I’ll run em out. This is really the only front tire I stand by.

My other rear tire choices:

Mx53 is a great tire for mid-hard pack which is Ohio. If I’m doing a hard pack track race I’d prefer that on the rear (PVR, Chillitown, grears). My buddy gave me one to try because he didn’t like it at his regional and I still think he is nuts. It’s great. I haven’t tried the front.

Mx3S if I know the track will be primarily tilled up loam/rutty(not many in ohio, but Malvern on a good day, or anywhere that may bring in mulch/sand for a big race.)

I still have a stock pile of Mx52s that I’ll get a local race out of and turn them into practice tires. Good mid-hard pack. They still work decent, albeit older rubber and outdated. I grabbed a bunch for $50 though

Don’t touch Hoosiers unless you are racing. They are amazing for a race or 2 and the knobs fall off.

Romanyak256

PR Addict
I always used the mx33, but this year decided to try the kenda millville 2 because it’s a mid/soft directional tire, and was not disappointed. Hooked up great at malvern in their soft dirt and the sand and tracked great at chilitown when it was bone dry. Tire still has plenty of life left to it and i wouldn’t hesitate to purchase them again. $130 for the set and i only have to drive 1 mile to the kenda distribution facility to pick them up

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
I didn't like a 110 on my kawi 250f - I preferred the 100.

I run a 120 on 450 because pirelli 32's in a 110 are backordered lol.

Vet261

PR Addict
Just saw announcement from Pirelli that any of their support riders that have ticket to LL get a free set of tires down there.

jj584

PR Addict
We are not a support rider lol. We we’re offered a Dunlop discount once. The discount price was the same price anybody can hit them for at an area or regional. If they shipped them it was way over what you can buy them locally for. Rick Roush is cool, they hook the kid up on rubber and so does AES.

mshafer62

PR Addict
It's my understanding that Tucker Rocky was to receive a Dunlop shipment this week,
so dealers should have them soon. Also, RMATV has both 120/80-19 & 110/90-19
MX33's in stock.

John250

PR Founding Father
It's my understanding that Tucker Rocky was to receive a Dunlop shipment this week,
so dealers should have them soon. Also, RMATV has both 120/80-19 & 110/90-19
MX33's in stock.
I went into Cycle Gear yesterday. They have a bunch of MX33s 110 and 120 on the rack. $105