1985 RM250 Shock

NQ1965

PR Elite
Our son is looking for a good useable shock for his 85 RM250 to race it at Vintage Days.
I'm not sure what other years will fit.

Buzz me if you have a line on one.
Thanks

You are welcome to pull the shock off my '84 RM250 and borrow it if needed. The bike is up on a rack on display so you guys would need to come over here and help pull it down -- not as simple as me just bring it to mid ohio. I also likely have another shock (or three) but no idea what sort of condition they are in, likely would need full rebuilds.

We don't want to strip parts from someones personal bikes, just looking for a loose one. Thank you for the offer.
After I posted this morning, my brain wheels kept turning and I came up with another idea for him.

He has an 02 CR250 also. I looked it up and found out he can race that bike in the following events and class's.:
==========
Friday Hare Scramble: Revolution "2" class, (2008 and older)
* Vet 30+
* Modern 2 Stroke

Saturday MX:
*Modern 2 Stroke....(free entry)

Sunday MX: Revolution "2" (non-current - 2008 & older) class.
* Revolution "2"...Open
* Revolution "2"...30+

So, his 84 and 85 RM's will likely be sitting this year, and the CR250 will get raced instead. He hasn't raced Vintage Days in quite a few years, but this at least gets him back on the gate. He's pretty pumped up to be racing again.

I do have another question though.
The 85 RM shock has a compression adjustment, but we did not see a rebound adjustment anywhere. Is this correct? I put 165psi of nitrogen in the bottle, but the shock acts like it doesn't have any oil in it. And the 84 RM shock is leaking it's oil out. So both need rebuilt.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly there should be a large dial on the end of the shock body before the clevis, that is the rebound. I'd have to look to be sure, my brain is getting the images mixed together of the 80's shocks and the early 90's shocks.

I have a few sitting in a parts tub - likely off an '83 if that fits 85. If you want one, free, just the gas for the pick up.

Or we can charge him big bucks the shock and you can take home an 81 KX250 for free :cool:
Good Thinking. He has to give me the KX to cover my "finders fee". lol
And then we'll talk his mom into covering the costs for RaceTech shock rebuild kits.

Back