Need carburetor help

rosch726

PR Member
Anyone do good work on carbs/jetting or know someone who does who would be willing to listen to my bike and help me adjust things properly. Also need someone who wouldn’t butt rape me either. I live in Mt. Vernon, so if anyone is close I could use the help. Thank you!

jj584

PR Addict
Post what kind of bike and any mods, somebody probably has a setup that will get you close.

rosch726

PR Member
Post what kind of bike and any mods, somebody probably has a setup that will get you close.
2001 RM250…..I’ve basically taken it back to stock. Only thing I struggled to know OEM is main jet. One manual I have says 162 and another says 172. I have the 172 in now. And I have the air screw out 1.5 out.

hershey

PR Elite
My first shot on any stock bike is drop the pilot one step and raise the clip one position and see how it runs. Most times I end up dropping the main one size also. The factories seem to jet them fat, also the test articles from the big magazines are generally California settings that are closer to sea level than we are requiring more fuel.

hershey

PR Elite
There is also this from PC. You have to take into account the fuel they use and the mixing ratio

Click on the link below to see their fuel specs

Screenshot_20210727-092926_Chrome.jpg

John250

PR Founding Father
2001 RM250…..I’ve basically taken it back to stock. Only thing I struggled to know OEM is main jet. One manual I have says 162 and another says 172. I have the 172 in now. And I have the air screw out 1.5 out.
There is this one guy on this forum that probably has the exact specs for that 2001 RM 250 in his head and will know exactly what to do. Think he has worked on a Suzuki or two.

Vet261

PR Addict
I believe 162 main 48 pilot is correct for stock 2001 RM250.

Depending on what it is doing, you probably need to move the clip position. Typically in hot/humid Ohio summer you need to lean the bike out, which means dropping the needle (moving the clip UP).
At Mid Ohio this past weekend, I needed to have my needle clip all the way up (dropping needle all the way down) in order for the bike to run right. Monday I immediately ordered a leaner needle for the bike.

Because the OEM needles were not available for my '98, I ended up ordering a "kit" from https://jdjetting.com/
Their kits are a little pricey, but they also come with the ability to have them help you out. I've used their kits before for other weird bikes like Yamaha TW200 and man it ran great. I talked to them for a bit on the phone yesterday and they are very nice and helpful.

Here is their kit for your bike:

But before you do anything, I would check clip position on the needle and possibly move it up a spot to drop the needle and then try the bike out.

Last edited: