22 YZ125

John250

PR Founding Father
The YZ 125 has always been a great bike. I dont buy into these guys that tell me the KTM is so much of a better package. The YZ motor is proven and bullet proof. The suspension is the best out there and it has a quality Yamaha build. Don't care what opinions are, yamaha and Honda by far have the best quality builds.

Dano762

PR Addict
It is NOT possible to NOT want one. Might be my first new bike ever. I would go the extra 200 for the Monster Energy graphics.

img.jpg

k01

PR Elite
I've been wanting one of these since back when I wore out my 2006 YZ 125 for the first time! Will the most fun bike ever have a proper successor?
2019-11-24 14.16.47.jpg

Roachy

PR Addict
When I started riding I was always on 250cc 2 strokes (well I did have a couple XR 400) so I never owned a 125cc until I purchased my friends 2009 YZ 125 a few years ago. I purchased the YZ 125 to use as a trail bike but I struggle with it on single track. With that said, I absolutely luv it on an MX Track. So much fun! The power keeps my old ass in check but the handling and suspension make it a joy to ride. Sometimes I think about getting a YZ 250x, KTM 200 or a 250F so that I have something a little bit more single track worthy but then I ride the YZ where it was meant to be ridden.

Last edited:

fluidpower

PR Member
The YZ 125 has always been a great bike. I dont buy into these guys that tell me the KTM is so much of a better package. The YZ motor is proven and bullet proof. The suspension is the best out there and it has a quality Yamaha build. Don't care what opinions are, yamaha and Honda by far have the best quality builds.

There is no question the Yamaha's handle amazing. There is also no question about Japanese build quality. The fasteners on the KTM are junk. After removing bolts a few times, the paint is warn and they start to oxidize. Engines? No question the current KTM engine is leaps and bounds over the old style YZ 125. This generation KTM 125 (2019-2022) has the redesigned pipe (longer expansion chamber and header) along with the redesigned power valve/ports making it a monster. One would have to mod the YZ to be even with the stock 125. Send the engine to a good builder and the KTM is a fire breather. The pipe/port/power valve design on the KTM is about as far as one can take these motors. An engine builder like Lynk's cleans up the factory porting, case matching, some carb tuning and balance work because there is not much else needed. The engine designs on 2 strokes from KTM are the reason Yamaha updated the 65,85 and finally the 125. They mimic the KTM design. The next step for KTM is the TPI injected 125 for 2023. The carb and intake is really the bottleneck in performance at this point. Either way, it is very hard to argue that these are the most fun bikes to ride on a moto track!

jfalat

PR Addict
My fat butt will stay on a 450. I about killed myself one day playing around on Matthew's YZ 125.
at 210lbs i am to big for a 125 also.... but its all about having fun, and there is nothing that make me smile more then the sound of a 125 pinned!!!!!! braaaaaaaap!!!!

Vet261

PR Addict
at 210lbs i am to big for a 125 also.... but its all about having fun, and there is nothing that make me smile more then the sound of a 125 pinned!!!!!! braaaaaaaap!!!!

Dude I weigh too much for a 450!!! But yes 125 are so fun. Part of my purge plan with selling off 20 bikes the last few years was to get a new 125........I'm already picturing this 22 YZ with silver rims, white number plates, and retro '98 graphics.... Mmmmmm

jfalat

PR Addict
Dude I weigh too much for a 450!!! But yes 125 are so fun. Part of my purge plan with selling off 20 bikes the last few years was to get a new 125........I'm already picturing this 22 YZ with silver rims, white number plates, and retro '98 graphics.... Mmmmmm
That would be so cool... Vet261 rockin the yz125... my 18 runs really well so i am just wonder how much better this new motor is in comparison...

Reactions: k01

Vet261

PR Addict
Oh yeah.....

Also of note, my workshop and bike stand(s) have come a long way since the late 90's hahaha.

Silver is the new black for rims!

Remember in the late 90's, early 00's when everyone just had to have those seat covers with the plastic/vinyl sides? I wonder how all those are holding up now 20+ years later hahahahaha.

bike-13.JPG

Apple-1.JPG

k01

PR Elite
With the black tank and new bodywork, should eventually be able to make it any retro color. I lost a lot of weight several years ago and the 125 did go quicker.
2020-12-04 07.42.12.jpg

But my 125 has had 250 springs forever to let it handle my weight better for more fun, whatever the bathroom scale reads...