How do YOU clean your nuts (and bolts)?

Meister

PR Founding Father
What's the best way you've found? I always hate taking them to a wire wheel because I feel like it dulls it even more than it being dirty.

Bolt motorcycle hardware. Bought a complete set for the last bike I did and I will never do anything less again. It was like $85 for every bolt, nut, washer, clip and spring. No brainer
Before that I was glass bead blasting then salt bath nitriding. Now I just do that for the big stuff like axels and swingarm bolts

Bolt motorcycle hardware. Bought a complete set for the last bike I did and I will never do anything less again. It was like $85 for every bolt, nut, washer, clip and spring. No brainer
Before that I was glass bead blasting then salt bath nitriding. Now I just do that for the big stuff like axels and swingarm bolts
If you rode dirt bikes

Yeah, that’s not going to happen. Coming up on my third back surgery In 3.5 years. I will be happy if I can still walk this time next year

What's the best way you've found? I always hate taking them to a wire wheel because I feel like it dulls it even more than it being dirty.
You trying to remove loctite, grease and dirt or polish them? An acetone soak will remove most grease loctite and grime. A cheap hobby lobby rock tumbler with the correct media is a cheap way to polish. Takes a couple days though.

Probably the most tedious time consuming work on a bike. Followed by chasing screw hole threads.
It's amazing the collection of different types of wire brush's I've accumulated as well.

How’d the balloon work out ? Have you kept the weight off since they removed it ?
Lost 60. Gained back 40. Not being able to do much because my back hurts.
And Friday night I broke my heal where the Achilles attaches.
58B18AD8-DFD5-4301-B795-37CB22C3F948.jpeg

that chunk behind my ankle… still see the tendon attached

Tripped over a damn potted plant frozen to my front porch. Or. I mean.. fought off 3… no 4 big guys with chains and clubs trying to rob a nun and a bunch of orphans

I hope you guys realize that from the factory your bolts and nuts have a cadmium or zinc plating which aids in rust prevention and is quite durable and will not flake off the bolt or nut even after repeated use.

Wire wheels and glass beading removes the cad plating so unless you replate or at very least clear coat your nice shiney nuts and bolts will rust in short order plus clear coats tend to flake off very easily exposing the bare metal to the elements.

Best bet is to replate or replace.

Last edited:
Back