Lorain Ohio Possible Motorsports Complex

Vet261

PR Addict
Not sure how I missed this......but looks like someone is trying to make use of the old landfill near Rt 611 and The Black River, I think this is the place that many of us used to go ride at when we were younger.
From reading looks like they are oval/dirt track karting folks but still cool to make use of this old dump if it goes through.

Of course people are complaining....

Last edited:

freeh

PR Founding Father
Interesting. "Birders" are some of the strangest people I have ever encountered. Not surprised they would oppose this based on nothing but opinion.

Toddco327

PR Addict
Interesting. "Birders" are some of the strangest people I have ever encountered. Not surprised they would oppose this based on nothing but opinion.
I have honestly never in my life seen someone “birding”.

Also….. it’s a landfill…..

Maybe they could put it on the other landfill complex that feel apart on Transportation Blvd.

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
YOU HAVE EXCEEDED THE NUMBER OF FREE ARTICLES AVAILABLE EACH MONTH.

.......That's how "IMPORTANT" these things are -!!!!

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father

Birdwatching is second to gardening as the most popular outdoor activity in United States.
A 2016 US Fish and Wildlife report stated that there were 45 million birders generating almost $96 billion in total industry output.
Natural areas along Ohio’s “North Coast” attract large numbers of birders annually who spend money locally.

mshafer62

PR Addict
Motorsports complex planned for Lorain's former landfill

Carissa Woytach
The Chronicle-Telegram

Dec 07, 2021 6:00 AM

LORAIN – A motorsports complex is slated for Lorain’s east side.

Kris McCrone of McCrone Motorsports met with City Council in executive session to present plans to rehabilitate the former Cromwell Park landfill.
If all goes well, the 204-acre site will transform from a former dump into a public motorsport complex, including a half-mile road course for race carts, a 9/10ths of a mile competition track and a 3/8th mile dirt oval, McCrone said.
A letter of intent is expected to come before City Council on Dec. 20.
Mayor Jack Bradley said the deal has been in the works for a long time, but without U.S. Steel releasing an $850,000 mortgage the city has on the property, it wouldn’t happen.
Lorain took out the loan in 2004, purchasing the property from U.S. Steel. Bradley, McCrone and others traveled to Pittsburgh to get the company to release the mortgage.
“It protects the city of Lorain, and it protects US Steel and they can move forward with their project,” he said. “It’s a big win for the city of Lorain.”
McCrone said they’d originally looked at a property in Elyria, but were approached by Brad Mullins with the Lorain Port Authority at the 11th hour to see the Cromwell site.
Attorney Ryan Gembala with OMDP Law said the group is moving with deliberate speed.
“This is a piece of land that doesn’t has a heck of a lot of utility given its condition and Kris and his team saw an opportunity to take something that really couldn’t be used and make something positive out of it,” Gembala said. “We’re going to get the public involved in terms of their opportunity to use this facility, we’re hoping to host some professional races as well and really build out from there.”
Mike Bossetti, engineer and president of Sortis Design LLC, said the group will need to get final plan approval from the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency, but plans to construct the site without disturbing any of the landfill cells.
If all goes well, the complex could open in August or September.
Councilwoman Beth Henley, D-1st Ward, was excited to see investment planned in the vacant site.
“If all these parts fall into place I see it as a win-win,” she said. “ It’ll be a huge catalyst for the Colorado corridor and Sheffield Village included … I am extremely pleased – this is a huge win.”
Contact Carissa Woytach at (440) 329-7245 or cwoytach@chroniclet.com.
SHARE STORY

mshafer62

PR Addict
Lorain Council sends motorsports rezoning to committee

Carissa Woytach
The Chronicle-Telegram

Feb 08, 2022 6:00 AM

LORAIN — The rezoning for a motorsports complex on Lorain’s east side will be up for discussion at a committee meeting next week.

Lorain Council sent the issue to its Building and Lands Committee for Feb. 14 after lengthy comments from the public. The motorsports project requires a rezoning from I-1 industrial to B-2 business.
Rob Swindell, president of the Black River Audubon Society, submitted a petition with more than 400 signatures against the proposed development set for the former Cromwell landfill.
The petition wants to “Save Cromwell Park,” and implores the city to value the environment and preserve the land and money spent on the Black River and habitat restoration.
Signatures include Lorain, Elyria, Cleveland, South Lebanon and other Ohio residents, alongside those from Illinois, Florida, Michigan, Colorado, California, Texas and other states.
Swindell is a deputy auditor for the city and a freelance columnist who writes about birds for The Chronicle-Telegram.
McCrone Motorsports plans to turn the roughly 204-acre former dump into a public motorsports complex, including a half-mile road course for race carts, a 9/10ths of a mile competition track and a 3/8th mile dirt oval.
The development is still dependent on U.S. Steel releasing an $850,000 mortgage on the property. The mortgage sunsets in 2024, Mayor Jack Bradley said, but doubts McCrone would wait that long.
McCrone filed a letter of intent with the city in late December, with plans to purchase the property for $1 per acre. If the project moves forward, the company will eventually have the option to buy another 72 acres along River Bend Drive and Colorado Avenue in the Industrial Park for $10,000.
Bradley said the city does care about the environment, noting as the project moves forward steps will be taken to preserve the heron nesting site along the Black River. The project will require clearing the land, including removing an invasive species of phragmites, which can pierce the cap put on the former landfill, he said.
A letter to Council from city Storm Water Manager Kate Golden noted the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency discourages deep-rooted vegetation on landfill caps because it can be detrimental to the cap.
“We are sensitive to the concerns being raised by the birding community and believe that preservation of high-quality forest, wetland and floodplain habitat is most critical,” Golden wrote. “We will continue to work to preserve and protect our sensitive environmental and aquatic habitats while also balancing land development within our community.”
Still, residents expressed their concerns during public comments.
Deb Horn, of Avon Lake, said she’s worked in Lorain for 40 years and has watched businesses come and go, but the natural preserve provided by Cromwell Park is something to be saved as it is evidence of progress in the city. She said McCrone Motorsports should look to build its project elsewhere.
Karen Callahan, of Lorain, agreed. She said the motorsports complex will bring pollution and noise, and instead suggested the city plant indigenous plants, flowers, and apple or pear trees to bring people to the riverside.
John Wargo, of Lorain, was hesitant about the project and questioned if the Army Corps of Engineers and Environmental Protection Agency would be involved. He compared it to the St. Joseph Community Center — which remains piles of rubble after the developer and demolition company failed to pull the correct permits and left the site.
“This is a St. Joe’s with wood, not concrete,” he said.
Ellen Zelina, of Lorain, was the lone supporter of the project during Monday’s comments. Zelina, who said she’s lived on the east side since 1959, said the project would bring money to the city to help it grow — and that there are other birding sites in Lorain.
Contact Carissa Woytach at (440) 329-7245 or cwoytach@chroniclet.com.

Bill480

PR Addict
I have honestly never in my life seen someone “birding”.

Also….. it’s a landfill…..

Maybe they could put it on the other landfill complex that feel apart on Transportation Blvd.

Was a landfill, now it's capped and might be a park or something

YOU HAVE EXCEEDED THE NUMBER OF FREE ARTICLES AVAILABLE EACH MONTH.

.......That's how "IMPORTANT" these things are -!!!!

Upset about capitalism? Wtf?

hershey

PR Elite
Was a landfill, now it's capped and might be a park or something

Upset about capitalism? Wtf?
LMFAO.....he isn't upset about capitalism at all. It's funny that only a nothing media outlet who needs to charge people to read articles is the only place covering the story. That's where the IMPORTANT thing he types came from

Go watch some birds Bill

Bill480

PR Addict
LMFAO.....he isn't upset about capitalism at all. It's funny that only a nothing media outlet who needs to charge people to read articles is the only place covering the story. That's where the IMPORTANT thing he types came from

Go watch some birds Bill
You OK over there Dave? Seem a little on edge still. Bird watching might do you some good.

Toddco327

PR Addict

Birdwatching is second to gardening as the most popular outdoor activity in United States.
A 2016 US Fish and Wildlife report stated that there were 45 million birders generating almost $96 billion in total industry output.
Natural areas along Ohio’s “North Coast” attract large numbers of birders annually who spend money locally.
Does Feld know this? Bikes are out. Birds are in.
76CA32E1-E8D2-49E3-9F02-B28CE3387BCF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

hershey

PR Elite
So I researched the most popular outdoor activities. Every article I read, every statistic list I could find all had different answers. But only one listed bird watching in the top 10. And it was 9th

k01

PR Elite
So I researched the most popular outdoor activities. Every article I read, every statistic list I could find all had different answers. But only one listed bird watching in the top 10. And it was 9th
At times there are too many of them watching me above my little backyard track. But few well placed knocks on the side of the barn moves them along.

Bill480

PR Addict
Upset ?? Not at all.
Simply pointing out that someone at that rag thinks I care enough about what Carissa has written to believe I’d be willing to pay for it.

Oh you guys seriously don't know what a paywall is lmao

The Elyria Chroniclet was not the first and will not be the last newspaper that uses one to try to stay alive