Buying a new bike

alphado

PR Founding Father
Isn't like the old days. Dealers could care less if you buy or not. Told me someone else will buy it if I don't. Looking for an adventure bike for commuting. Was down to a Kawasaki KLR650 or a KTM 390.

The first Kawi dealer tacked on about $1500 in fees on a new KLR. Had a 15 KLR that they wanted $6500 for. He said I could save some of the fees by getting the 15. The MSRP on a new KLR is $6699.

Another dealer had a 2011 KLR for $3800. He wanted to add over $600 in fees. He said if I didn't buy it now they were going to raise the price on it.

Reluctantly went to the KTM dealer expecting a worse raping. Was pleasantly surprised to see the out the door price on the bike. I asked him if that was real, he said yep. I sat on it and really liked the technology. $7100 out the door! Can’t wait for the snow to melt so I can get it. Dealer even gave me a KTM hat!

s1200_CA8AA002_FFB2_4BF8_AB73_98DB9BADC64D.jpg

Pretty sure that is the same basic chassis/motor as my Svartpilen 401. Pretty cool, congrats.

SWEET!!!
As long as you're not jambing on the highway at 70mph I think that bike will deliver some fun.
It's only a 390 ....... so don't think of it as a hog.
I was looking into them as an alternative to the Zuma's when running around in Fla.
You see plenty on the streets of Daytona - the little Duke version especially.

Last edited:
Sad stae of customer relations any more.

Congrats on the new bike !
Put yourself in that dealers shoes. You have no idea what and when you’re next machine is going to arrive. If MX is a big part of your inventory and allocations for 2022 are cut to 2 bikes in each class and you usually sell 5 or 6 a year in each class how can you survive? Doors are closing and things are rough for the industry.

Put yourself in that dealers shoes. You have no idea what and when you’re next machine is going to arrive. If MX is a big part of your inventory and allocations for 2022 are cut to 2 bikes in each class and you usually sell 5 or 6 a year in each class how can you survive? Doors are closing and things are rough for the industry.
The dealer I work with always seems to find a bike for us when I need one. Pointview gets an awful lot of bikes too. The dealers that are surviving are doing so because they find a way.

The dealer I work with always seems to find a bike for us when I need one. Pointview gets an awful lot of bikes too. The dealers that are surviving are doing so because they find a way.
Japanese bikes are a different story. The supply chain is in bad shape. Sure some regional reps are sending extra machines to certain dealers who may be sliding them a little something extra. The auto industry is working the same way.

Call me a pussy, but I like the feel of a smaller bike on the street.
I'm not under the delusion that my bike can push ANYTHING out of the way so I'd much rather have the nimble feel of a smaller bike.
Give me a good hit to get way, a nice pull in second, drop it into third and smile. - and check for cops......
Add a responsive feel on the front wheel and some good brakes.
Traffic ? What traffic - yeah, that's all going on behind me -

Back