Question on smaller personal practice track build?

Scoob

PR Founding Father
So...I got some dirt from the city street department, fairly clean. Unfortunately going to be more like top soil than a clay based soil. Not sure how this will pack and stay in form for jumps and obstacles.

In the end, this track is more so for my son and his 50 riding buddies than me, but want to build some things that will definitely help him improve his craft. Just curious in what y'all have to say in doing so in which can be built with a skid steer and easier to maintain with limited equipment. Won't have the skid steer long term. The soil base couldn't be better in that is is somewhat a sandy base, but does get dry in the middle of the summer.

It's a good corner track for the most part right now with a about a 50 second lap time on a 50/pit bike to give you an idea of the length. Would like to include a limited wooded section with a more sandy terrain, but that may be too moist at the momento and be in the plans for the future.

Just curious what thoughts may be to give me some additional ideas. Hopefully I do not regret it...lol.

jj584

PR Addict
Corner track is the best for at home I think. I've built various things in the yard and it takes so much dirt to make jumps. It might sound stupid but its easier to bury things to take up some of the volume trees, refrigerator, non clean fill and top it off with clean.

hershey

PR Elite
100% guaranteed ..... it will be 1000x more work than you anticipate. Constantly fixing ruts, dust from wind in the summer when not even in use, the amount of dirt to make one table top is 15x what you think. Whoops are impossible to maintain without equipment and the number one pain in the ass is weed eating. And that's all not bad compared to figuring out a watering system.

My truck is pretty good size, lots of fun big jumps and about 1.5 min lap times. Knowing what I do now, not sure I would do it again until I had all the equipment I have now to start with.

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
If I was you jump wise I would build two to three table tops each different lengths one pretty small a medium one to build his skills up to and a decent size one so he has goals to get up to and as he gets faster the farther he will jump. He’s on a 50 so doubles don’t seem super necessary unless it’s somewhat tiny

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
just dont. lol

i think the thing i regret mostly about mine is that its all in the woods. the constant sticks/trees etc and then anytime you're trying to move a small amount of dirt theres tree roots and stuff, that has all made drainage really challenging. if i would have bought a skidsteer instead of a tractor i probably would have a better experience. at this point its just not worth it for how little i use it, but i still hate for it to get overn grown and look like s**t, so i still have to keep up with it even if i dont ride it. and all your friends that say they will come help work on it, dont worry, they wont. lol

Bill480

PR Addict
i had a skid steer and it still sucked tbh. moving dirt was quick however wrenching on/buying parts for a skid steer was not enjoyable.

every "jump" is now an overgrown pile of weeds that i try to avoid looking at. having a large stockpile of fill and topsoil has become beneficial for more adult-like projects over time so i guess that is nice.

if i was trying to entertain 50s i would cut in a turn track with a few small obstacles that can be easily plowed back over if necessary.

Toddco327

PR Addict
I’ve got a small “turn” track in my back yard. About 15 second lap times. Most fun you can ever have. 3 lefts and 1 right turn. It’s a blast. Gonna add a “roller jump” this year to spice it up. But only thing is that it must be able to be ran over by the lawn mower. I have a buddy who has a pit bike track but has all the equipment to maintain it. And Crute I’ve been waiting for a call to come help. Lol.

pic below is all you need

Attachments

• 4D3CFF3D-7534-4327-AF78-A3B2635E48D4.jpeg
    4D3CFF3D-7534-4327-AF78-A3B2635E48D4.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 95
100% guaranteed ..... it will be 1000x more work than you anticipate. Constantly fixing ruts, dust from wind in the summer when not even in use, the amount of dirt to make one table top is 15x what you think. Whoops are impossible to maintain without equipment and the number one pain in the ass is weed eating. And that's all not bad compared to figuring out a watering system.

My truck is pretty good size, lots of fun big jumps and about 1.5 min lap times. Knowing what I do now, not sure I would do it again until I had all the equipment I have now to start with.
☝ what he said. If you won't always have equipment to maintain, just use that excess dirt for more rolling features. 50's won't tear up faces or landings too bad but a day of rain will quickly leave you with hazardous ruts...and this is never ending.

MX099

PR Addict
I’m with Hershey on this one. Stop while you’re ahead. Even if you have some small landscaping equipment you still can’t stay ahead of the maintenance. With out a water truck you will be chasing your tail.
it’s wiser to spend your money at a practice track 2 or 3 times a week.

Dano762

PR Addict
What a great question and such solid advice. I should have asked before I attempted my own track.

I have tried this a few different times and echo what most have said - my experience is so much more time, work, and money than you can imagine with results that just aren't that aren't what you might expect. For me a much better effort/time/money to fun ratio by going to a track/training facility. Even if the first week result is good - month 1, 2, 6 and beyond are not.

I built a turn track with small table tops and using the elevation for step ups. It seems reasonable but never worked out. Finding dirt, upkeep, getting the jump approach angels right, rain erosion, ruts, watering, dust, weed eating, keeping trespassers out, etc. I have rented skid steers and have a couple of tractors including an old Massey Ferguson with a bush hog, disc, tiller, rake, etc. - Tractors even with a bucket aren't a good answer. I looked at some worn out skid steers that I could afford and the maintenance/repairs stopped that. I rent every couple of years to clear and keep the parts I don't mow under control. Renting for maintaining would not be cheap.

I spent a lot of time and money chasing a project to make my own track work. Have let that thought go.

Fire 2.jpg

fire.jpg

Skid Steer.jpg

So now I clear, mow, walk my beagles, and just ride on what's there. Have a membership at a Club in KY for the track.

John Deere.jpg

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
I have been known to build tracks for people, not so much now, because I’m strapped for time. But they would ask why are you agreeing to this, you know we won’t be at your track any more, Id smile and say I’ll see you once summer gets here.

Scoob

PR Founding Father
I hear your all. Definitely some work and more so since I'm not all that good at driving the skid yet. Our turn track was good. Sandy soil not dusty until July and August. I have more dirt than I'll use. Thinking tables and singles is all well have. Let y'all know. Thanks!

Scoob

PR Founding Father
I have been known to build tracks for people, not so much now, because I’m strapped for time. But they would ask why are you agreeing to this, you know we won’t be at your track any more, Id smile and say I’ll see you once summer gets here.
That's not the purpose of this track. Not looking to replace a real track. Just a small practice track for seat time in between real track time or racing. Just something to work on things like accelerating, breaking, cornering, and a little jumping... It'll never be more than a 50/pitbike track. 65/85 maybe, but that'll be pushing it.

That's not the purpose of this track. Not looking to replace a real track. Just a small practice track for seat time in between real track time or racing. Just something to work on things like accelerating, breaking, cornering, and a little jumping... It'll never be more than a 50/pitbike track. 65/85 maybe, but that'll be pushing it.
Set those boundaries and stick to them then. LOL. I had a turn track once. It's easy to become obsessed when you can control the track conditions and rider list. It's also some of the most fun you'll have with your family and friends.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220327-082619_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220327-082619_Gallery.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 113