Why?

ck1racerx

PR Addict
So I had a conversation today at work that really has me thinking.
The guy is a very casual moto fan and he asked me today… Why do they race twice?
So, I of course had an answer…. We have always run two moto’s. I then got the blank, deer in the headlights look…. But why? To which I had no answer. That got me thinking.
What if… we only ran one moto locally… and then ran a split format much like the LL regionals of youth / amateur/ vet. One group at a time runs a practice and then their race. Then the next group does the same…
That then kills the argument of “I don’t want to be at the track all day”. Bingo. In and out in under 4 hours. And that is running one 20 minute moto. Which answers my argument of “we don’t run long enough moto’s to get good”

for real, no other form of racing runs two races that I can think of. Heck even moto is only one moto when it’s in a stadium. So, I ask you…. Why? Or maybe. Why not?

I imagine it’s similar to a lot of the other type of “best score” sports. Skateboards, BMX, I believe gymnastics and others (don’t quote me) have a throw away your worst score system.

In moto it is consistency that crowns the winner. One first turn crash could effect a whole race for a rider. Yes NASCAR could have the same thing happen. Where as a 2 race format give you opportunity to make up from the previous race.

In BMX you can have 3 or 4 runs to land your best set of tricks. Maybe 1 run doesn’t go as planned and you have an opportunity to get a better score.

You could use the same ideology and say “I show up do my trick 1 time and go home” that’s all well and good but there isn’t much of a competition if all you’re worried about is getting home early for Matlock at 5:30

All it would take is one time for someone in your class to pull a move and the ref to say sorry, you had one moto. We didn’t see a thing, for you to go crying to the message boards about how great the two moto format was. (I use the word “your” as in the royal form not a direct insult to you specifically)

I've always considered a one long moto format ideal for local racing. Less starts, and staging, so saving time there, plus starts are a bit more dangerous. The potential of getting out sooner is also a plus, and most people ride two classes, so kinda like two motos. But, I don't moto any more, so never mind me lol!

Night racing, I'd be totally cool with 1 long moto, like Saturday night SX... Then maybe I'd get it in before dark since I can't see lol..

I wish we had an actual (but am friendly) night supercross. Built to actual size but with thought out of safer jumps. I'd have to have real good lighting like a sx tho too.

No idea why.. This sport is full of why's....

15 minutes is plenty for most. 15 might get the average track turnout done in 4-5 hours. 20 wont. It will be 6-7 hours. The vet regional format would work well for local 1 moto. 15 minutes amateur, 20 for A classes

County fair races are single moto as well if I'm remembering correct.
A co-worker of mine races GNCC atv's, which of course is single moto format, and then for end of year championship standings they only count 11 of 13 of your best finish's.

My thought's have always been...... It's two and sometimes three moto format's because we love racing and just can't get enough! :cool:

On making moto's longer you do have the issue of race day time constraints but I have often thought that short moto's do work to advantage those who are less conditioned physically. Many times I've had really tough battles with guys that are not exactly "physically-fit" but had just enough gas and skill to survive four laps at race pace.

Last edited:
Reactions: k01
Yeah, good thoughts and question. Glad you brought it up, but if you think about it, SX isn't one moto. Sure, one main, but that can be comprised of a heat and/or an LCQ. I believe it's somewhat all about best score for the overall in MX. Bad things tend to happen. Bad start, bike fails, you have fall, but the 2nd moto, or maybe even the first, will give you the "overall" average that may end up being the winning ticket.

Fair races are a different animal. In some ways, you can tend to think of them as 2 motos if you want though. 1 is considered a "practice" though and not scored. May not be at every fair race, but many have your practice with your class only, so you get a feel as to where you are within your competition to get your mindset where it needs to be for the "main".

Even still, I go, "hmmmm????" ;)

Don't screw with motocross. It's two motos. Average the scores. Moto has always been that way, BMX three motos and average the scores.

Most other forms of racing have heat races then a final. So they really do race more than once during the day.

Want to change local racing? How about saying we don't need to run every class that is run at Loretta Lynn's! Limited class structure for local races. I just don't get why everyone thinks a local has to have 30 different classes!!

What if… we only ran one moto locally… and then ran a split format much like the LL regionals of youth / amateur/ vet. One group at a time runs a practice and then their race. Then the next group does the same…
That then kills the argument of “I don’t want to be at the track all day”. Bingo. In and out in under 4 hours. And that is running one 20 minute moto. Which answers my argument of “we don’t run long enough moto’s to get good”

You've got under 10 classes
Show up, run your practice with like kind. 10-15 min
Short break, line em up'
In a few hours everyone's out for the next group

The promoter / staff has it harder

So.... No one knows why we run two moto's other than "That's the way we have always done it."

Sharc, yes the staff would need to add to the headcount, Signup would need to be open pretty much all day. But that same person could also be giving out trophies, combine that with the fact there is half the total gate drops, so maybe it is a wash.

Okay, so pay no mind to the issue of running back to back. This is just an exercise of the schedule.
Group 1 Youth
Practice schedule:
50's 7am
65's 7:15
85's 7:30
Super / School 7:45
Riders Meeting (Over the PA) 8
Race:
50jr 8:10
50Sr 8:30
65 Jr 8:50
65 Sr 9:10
Mini Jr 9:30
Mini Sr 9:50
SuperMini 10:10
Schoolboy 10:30
Finished 10:50

Amature Practice
A 11:15
250's 11:30
450"s 11:45
Second class Noon
Riders meeting 12:15
Race:
250C 12:30
250B 12:50
250A 1:10
450C 1:30
450B 1:50
450A 2:10
Finished 2:30

Vet Practice
College / 25+ 3pm
30 / 40+ 3:15
50+ / Women 3:30
Riders meeting 3:45pm
Race:
College 4
25+ 4:20
30+ 4:40
40+ 5
50+ 5:20
Women 5:40
Finished at 6

That gives you a 12ish min practice and a 15 min +1 lap moto.
And then you are out the door.

I like two Motos. However, I think a main event format would have it's place. Not saying replace the 2 moto format. Maybe a SX style series? Who has room for a well lit supercross track near Canton? Lol

On a local level people come to race for fun and make weekends out of it. Everyone wants two motos because a lot of stuff can happen in the first. People would rather race a long weekend where you run 1 moto on each day as a long moto than run just 1 long moto and pack up and go home. If local racing went to 1 long moto it would lose so many people in the crowd. If anything needs to happen (which is kinda right now) is move all 65 and 50 classes to Saturday, along with all the beginner classes after practice at 2 pm start race practice. Day would move so much faster. Since Scott started doing some more on Saturday it makes Sunday run way faster and smoother. And for oma just run those same classes with the atvs. Track would still be good for them and safe. The amount of classes is never going to get any smaller so just make it work better by splitting it more evenly

Back