250 SX question

John250

PR Founding Father
Ok I have some questions about how the 250 SX points system even works anymore. Anyone know? So Colt Nichols breaks both arms in the season opener in 2022 after winning the championship in 2021. Sits out the rest of the season. So now he is out of a top tier ride with Star and moving to the 250 class. But yet a guy like Martin Davalos rides in the 250 class for what seemed like his whole career, and a bonafide 450 guy like Freise can come back down to the 250 class and race. There seems to be no consistency at all in the rules for the 250 class. They both are professional classes. I look at them like Nascar, Cup and Xfinity. Get a ride where you can and race. Why even make people move up anymore? Also do away with east and west. It does not work anymore either. Let the top teams compete for the championship, and the other privateers will make the races they can get to. It works in Nascar, and would work in SX as well.

Vet261

PR Addict
It is because he won the title in 2021 and had been in the 250 class for 4 years.

e. AMA 250SX Regional Champions may defend their championship’s the following season, with the following clarifications:
1. Champions may ride either region the following year but must only compete with the no. 1 plate when defending in the region in which they won the Championship.

2. A rider that wins a 250SX Championship will be eligible to participate in the 250SX class for a maximum of four years total.
a. If a rider wins the 250SX Championship in their fourth season but has not reached the max point threshold in four seasons, that rider will be eligible to compete in the 250SX class the following season.
b. If a rider wins the 250SX Championship in their fourth season but has reached the max point threshold in four seasons, that rider will be ineligible for the 250SX class.
c. A rider must earn at least five points for it to count as a season.

3. A rider that wins a second 250SX Championship will be eligible to participate in the 250SX class for a maximum of three years total regardless of what year they won their second title. (i.e., if a rider wins their second Championship in their third year of 250SX competition, they will be ineligible for the 250SX class regardless of points and therefore not eligible to defend their 250SX Championship title)

Last edited:

bruceb

PR Addict
Vet addressed the 250 advancement very well. As for a legitimate 450 competitor dropping down there is no set rule other than petitioning the AMA for approval. Kyle Chisholm did this in 2017.

John250

PR Founding Father
Kyle Chisholm rode 250 SX this season as well. Side note on Chisholm. About 3 weeks ago I am in Wawa pumping gas and Chisholm pulls up next to me in his truck with his bike in the back. Not everyday a SX rider pulls up next to you at the gas pump.

k01

PR Elite
Answer to the 250 SX question : A better bike with a 300 kit!
IMG_20220701_094603920~2.jpg