Crow Canyon GP Recap

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
Crow Canyon GP Recap

Uhrichsville, Ohio
July 31st
Words: Bierbower
Photos: Fraas

Okay, you did it once……..can you do it again?

Now that we are on the downside of the Crow Canyon GP. I have to say it feels good. The weeks of prep that went into getting the Crow Canyon GP ready were more nerve wracking than the Beans GP. Why? - We had something to prove now. We have a standard to hold ourselves to.
MERP wants to be known in the game for a few things.

• Schedule. Schedule. Schedule. Flag flys on the hour.
  • Course. Wide. Flowy. Well marked.
  • Fun. It’s easy. Racing motorcycles is fun - it’s our job to keep it that way.

Mother Nature owed us a favor after the Beans GP and did she ever return it at Crow Canyon. It was a Chamber of Commerce day in Uhrichsville, Ohio up by the water tower. Perfect overcast skies and the motocross track was prepped for the Fox “Dream On” calendar. These conditions made the 10 AM race one to remember. The feedback I heard in the pits the rest of the day was in agreement.

To keep tooting our own horn - our program ran on schedule - again. Our sign up team was a little overwhelmed with the big bump in turnout from the Beans GP but once again, in crunch time the girls were as cold as ice. 271 rider entries on Sunday. Almost up 100 from Beans. Needless to say - the word is getting out.

Racers - you came back AND you brought friends. We had many returning customers this weekend and a stack of new member cards as thick as the phone book. (I suppose those aren’t that thick anymore so maybe a bad analogy.) Thank you. Thank you.

A couple fumbles aside - scoring snafoos, pee wee banner, and a few downed riders (no major injuries). The day went pretty damn smooth - like we’ve done this once before.

So here we go - back into the pressure cooker for the Grears GP. The bar was high and yesterday I’d say we made it a little higher.
Bring your buddy to the Grears GP - motocross or woods, doesn’t matter. We have both.

Bench race and tell us about your day in the comments. I freaking love motorcycle racing.

Grears GP - August 28th.

• Bierbower

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
C18AF3ED-A0E6-46FB-A7DF-6C91AFACABD7.jpeg

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
Talked to several people in the pits throughout the day. Everyone loved the course - moto and woods. The moto track we we’re blessed with overcast skies until about noon. We drove a ton of water into it and it stayed.

The woods broke down in the afternoon but for the 10 AM race they were prime time. The course flowed really well - it was long but fast and flowy.

Tk40FC

Noob
I thought Id create an account to chime in and commend Jack, Steve and all the people who worked very hard to make this event really fun. I am a member at crow, and the track was so well layed out I could barely recognize it as the same facility.
The track prep was perfect, although it was all my little JR80 had to climb the big uphill on lap 1 of the pitbike race..lol. It didnt help that I broke my clutch lever off going full send down the grass track downhill trying to pass everyone which sent me OTB, but i dusted myself off and managed to finish.

Also the first race I've done in 20 years, but managed to finish second in my class which was kind of a surprise. I was stoked to simply finish a 40 minute moto with limited ride time this year. Also, I thought the "staircase" leading into the woods was creative as hell and wound up being one of the most challenging sections of the track when it turned to silt and the fluff was over a foot deep in places. I got greedy one lap and tried to double in, but cased the third step and wound up in that mess on the left side. I heard some of the A class guys were greasing it though!

So yeah, if you're on the fence about trying, make sure you give it a shot. It runs very smooth and its all about having a good time!

20220731_080101.jpg
20220731_083427.jpg
20220731_104024.jpg
20220731_104102.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
I thought Id create an account to chime in and commend Jack, Steve and all the people who worked very hard to make this event really fun. I am a member at crow, and the track was so well layed out I could barely recognize it as the same facility.
The track prep was perfect, although it was all my little JR80 had to climb the big uphill on lap 1 of the pitbike race..lol. It didnt help that I broke my clutch lever off going full send down the grass track downhill trying to pass everyone which sent me OTB, but i dusted myself off and managed to finish.

Also the first race I've done in 20 years, but managed to finish second in my class which was kind of a surprise. I was stoked to simply finish a 40 minute moto with limited ride time this year. Also, I thought the "staircase" leading into the woods was creative as hell and wound up being one of the most challenging sections of the track when it turned to silt and the fluff was over a foot deep in places. I got greedy one lap and tried to double in, but cased the third step and wound up in that mess on the left side. I heard some of the A class guys were greasing it though!

So yeah, if you're on the fence about trying, make sure you give it a shot. It runs very smooth and its all about having a good time!

View attachment 76580View attachment 76581View attachment 76582View attachment 76583
I really can’t thank you enough for taking the time to make an account and post this here.

I have heard at least 10 people say this is my first race ever or I haven’t raced in 10 years. GP’s are what brought me back to racing and the whole atmosphere at our races has been awesome. It really feels like the old days where everyone is just enjoying racing On Any Sunday.

It’s stressful but damn we’re having fun putting on these races and hearing how much people enjoy them. I love sharing motorcycle racing with people. I really do love it.

Tk40FC

Noob
I really can’t thank you enough for taking the time to make an account and post this here.

I have heard at least 10 people say this is my first race ever or I haven’t raced in 10 years. GP’s are what brought me back to racing and the whole atmosphere at our races has been awesome. It really feels like the old days where everyone is just enjoying racing On Any Sunday.

It’s stressful but damn we’re having fun putting on these races and hearing how much people enjoy them. I love sharing motorcycle racing with people. I really do love it.
You're welcome Jack. I have Steves number, so I was able to reach out to him directly but its clear you have really put alot of effort into promoting the race and trying to get the word out there. I figured the least I could do was say thanks on here and share my experience. Keep up the good work, I saw alot of smiles all day long.

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
You're welcome Jack. I have Steves number, so I was able to reach out to him directly but its clear you have really put alot of effort into promoting the race and trying to get the word out there. I figured the least I could do was say thanks on here and share my experience. Keep up the good work, I saw alot of smiles all day long.
Running the social, doing video work and writing the articles for MERP has been my role the whole time and I am really proud of how far it has come.

Without the crew I am working with this wouldn't be possible - we all stick to what we know and what we are good at and that is what is bringing this whole thing together. Steve is a great guy and has a great family.

I'm not a marketing expert nor am I trained in it by any means. I do think I have a knack for it and being a racer I'd like to think I know how to reach that crowd. I love writing, I love making videos, and the social stuff/graphic design has been fun to learn. I already have a list of things I will be able to better next year if things keep going well.

Bill480

PR Addict

when my Vaarrg shows up I'll have to try one

(assuming it can last 40 minutes on a charge)

any rules about dragging a diesel generator?

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict

We would prefer solar panel chest protectors but I’ll check the rule book on Gennys.