Grears GP by MERP August 28th

Registration is done, quick and easy. Track walk is done.
Just finished dinner.

Attachments

• 20220827_181229.jpg
    20220827_181229.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Grears GP Recap
Zanesville, Ohio
August 28th
Words: Bierbower
Video: Bierbower

With the Grears GP in the rear view mirror I want to take a minute and think about how far this project has come. A year ago this was notes on a dinner napkin and now we are three races deep into our first season of race promoting. To say we are learning each race would be an understatement - there isn’t a number we can put on the things we are learning being on the opposite side of motorcycle racing.

It used to be we’d unload our bikes from the van - race, have fun, go home. Now things are very different, and even with the massive efforts we put into these races the feeling of pride we have giving our hearts to motorcycle racing makes that effort worth it. It really does.

As for race day - Mother Nature is back to owing us a favor. Not a cloud in the sky and 90+ degrees made for a dry and dusty racetrack. The turn track ended up looking like something from Star Wars - in hind sight, maybe we should have skipped it. Notes in our growing binder of things to remember when we are designing our courses. Racing a clay track in Ohio is hard - especially in August - especially in 90+ degrees. We have things we can do better, stick with us, we’re working on it.

This was our first trip out of Tuscarawas county and the folks at Grears Motorsports Park were excellent hosts. Dave Grear believes in motorcycle racing and it shows when you look around his facility. Working with Dave and his crew was a pleasure - the fact they opened the gates to their amazing property to a new/ up and coming series like ourselves tells me that they believed in us too - that is met with honor and appreciation. Again, thank you Dave/Robin and the whole crew at Grears Motorsports Park.

For the racers - you came back - you brought friends, again. I sound like a broken record but - we had another record turnout. We broke the 300 entry barrier today. This thing is gaining steam with each race we do - without you guys - this isn’t possible. It sounds like you like the format, it sounds like you like the courses (except mud and dust), and more importantly of all - it sounds like you’re having fun racing your motorcycles. The last is our main goal above all. Thank you for the continued and growing support. We’re going to keep working hard to give you an outstanding racing product.

We have some tweaking to do to the program - in fact I don’t think we’ll ever stop tweaking the program. Thank you for your support - The Whole MERP Crew appreciates YOU.

-Bierbower

Were there any photographers? Logan says he didn't see any one.
It didn’t look like there were many out there - looked like folks just taking pictures of the kids. My normal guy wasn’t able to make it. I’ll keep my eyes peeled and let you know.

Thanks for your support Adam it really means a lot to me - Logan was ripping today and I hope he’s having a blast. I get caught running around on race day I want more time to talk to y’all about the racing!

Had fun. Finished the race. Saw friends.

Good times, great crowd with a good thing going. Excellent job MERP.

Side note, go to malvern for the last round.
Thanks Dave - I know you have ammo in there for the dust today, I appreciate you talking to me about it.

We’re learning a lot about course design and scheduling - this we can absolutely make improvements on for the future.

Malvern is going to be the one. I’m so excited for Malvern.

Logan liked the different preps or conditions on each track, made it so it wasn't just one big prepped moto track, with some woods. Different skills for different soil.
That said I understand no one wants a dust bowl.
We are trying to get more moto kids to give it a try, they are just stuck in their ways, can't say we were any different before his injuries. But we are attempting! I sent messages out to a dozen parents, but most had plans with the malvern night series, driven training, and whitcraft training, some had to work and two were injured.

Camping was pretty typical moto camping, but much smaller since people know it's a show up and race then leave so not many over nighters. Logan and I played some Kan jam, he played kick ball, ran around the campers, walked the track with new friends, we watched the crew game and some of the new top gun. Woke up knowing exactly what time we had to be ready, so no rushing or trying to follow what moto was up, looking at the class list seven times then trying to time it so we are sitting in staggingg for 20 mins before trying to hear the gate pick list. Packed up and brought the camper home, showered and went to Columbus to watch the osu men's soccer game. Couldn't have did that or planned it if it was a moto day, because you dont know any info.

I think you need to talk Jeremy into hosting one at Briarcliff. Might be what gets him that loving feeling back. Obviously there is the oma merp issue that would need to be worked out, but if Buckeye and oma can do it I think it's possible.

Thanks Dave - I know you have ammo in there for the dust today, I appreciate you talking to me about it.

We’re learning a lot about course design and scheduling - this we can absolutely make improvements on for the future.

Malvern is going to be the one. I’m so excited for Malvern.
You're on it, keep up the good work!

Yep! Everyone that said I would have fun riding at grears was right, was glad we decided to run that saturday practice because we ended up having time to get all of the jumps down. Greasing the big table was a rush for sure. Fun track, wish it was closer.

Ill say that despite it getting very silty, i think the turn track was good for the course. I probably lost the most time there just because I was trying not to override the soil and make the big mistake, but it was good for the flow and the lap time. The roost hurt like hell, i know that! The woods were trickier then i expected they'd be as it was basically all off camber, but i like the path it took. Had to be very precise to really make good time.

Keep up the good work guys, I think we all know you're all taking notes and applying them when you are able. Also, thanks for taking some time to chat Jack, you look like you dont really get a break all day!

Back