HONDA HILLS - First Annual Klamfoth Classic

NQ1965

PR Elite
While at Grear's MERP Grand Prix race on Sunday it was clear that the event was enjoying a significant turnout. In conversation it was mentioned to me that good promotion of the event helped make that happen.
I'm a little unsure why this isn't getting posting or attention on Pitracer???
This is kind of a big deal.

1661817592176.png

On a quick event question, and I'm sure this has been asked and answered before for other events:
On the OMA membership, is a full year membership ($25) required, or can a racer just purchase a "single-event" OMA to race on Sunday????

Briarcliff water truck will be attending this.......I got a refresher course on running it last weekend. Friday afternoon looks like a significant chance of water.

On a quick event question, and I'm sure this has been asked and answered before for other events:
On the OMA membership, is a full year membership ($25) required, or can a racer just purchase a "single-event" OMA to race on Sunday????

Short answer: One year membership is all we have. It is required.

Long answer: This funds a massive grass roots awards banquet that really makes kids feel like a big deal. The more memberships sold, the more we can do to make it a happening.

AMA membership just to practice? Can I get my AMA membership right at sign up Saturday before practice?

Briarcliff water truck will be attending this.......I got a refresher course on running it last weekend
That's a big bonus. After seeing vids from practice days I figured racers would be needing a 12 pack of air filters for race weekend.

As for promotion, HH spends all their time on social media promoting food vendors. Kinda weird.

Last edited:
That's a big bonus. After seeing vids from practice days I figured racers would be needing a 12 pack of air filters for race weekend.
Yeah...I'm curiouso... I mean, 10 minutes from the house makes it kinda convenient, but going to be a nice weekend and we know what we're going to get from Chilitown. Like NQ1965 said, no hype, etc. as to improvements, etc. of which we all know was needed. Well, not on Pitracer anywho...???

Hoping the pic used for the event is not a preview of what the racing surface is going to be like...

We got a baseball game at noon, making it a challenge to get to the Saturday night program (PW for a preview). Spencer says he wants to go to HH vs. CT and I'm not racing, so... Wanted to make practice Saturday where I would have rode, but BB taking care of that.

Hmmm....???

Short answer: One year membership is all we have. It is required.

Long answer: This funds a massive grass roots awards banquet that really makes kids feel like a big deal. The more memberships sold, the more we can do to make it a happening.

I kept thinking that was the case. Having only raced one OMA battle race (at your track), was pretty sure.

Wouldn't miss it regardless.
It is HONDA HILLS revived after all !

Why isn't there more interest in this event? So the track isnt technical, have massive jumps, or the best dirt. BUT its freaking Honda Hills man! Its just an iconic track IMO. Just go and have a good time holding it WFO!

Why isn't there more interest in this event? So the track isnt technical, have massive jumps, or the best dirt. BUT its freaking Honda Hills man! Its just an iconic track IMO. Just go and have a good time holding it WFO!
Not much in terms of promotion to tell us why we should go and check it out. Just get the feeling the owners couldn't care less if we came. If it wasn't 10 minutes from the house and an iconic track that my curiosity is getting the best of...not sure if I would be. Still not 100%, but more than likely will be. And the track...will be on the same land as the track of yesteryear, but will not be the same track. Well, maybe same dirt pushed here and there... ???

Took a quick sneak peek the other day. Layout looked kinda cool...and maybe a little dry and a little rocky, but that was early in the week. Looking/hoping for something a little more brownie like this weekend... Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie maybe?... Guess we'll all talk about it on Monday. :)

Oh, and forgot, I'm not riding and my son who is 6 and has no idea really what Honda Hills is or was wants to...lol. :)

So...thinking on this...

Looks like we'll make Sunday for certain, but since we have a double header tomorrow morning there will be no practice time. Because of this, thinking it might be good for Spencer to get in some time on the track on the PW Saturday night. 2nd game could last until 2pm, so getting there for sign-up, race practice, yada, yada, could be touch and go as well...

Does anyone know that if we came out tonight and wanted to pay the extra $5 per person for the weekend:
1) we could sign up to race tomorrow? Will more than likely miss the riders meeting.
2) Also, is there going to be parking up top and down below for racers, etc.? Getting that figure out might be another reason to come out early...

Well...see you out there ???

So far, all the parking has been up on top, Gate 1 entrance.
Aside from tapping through their facebook for information, they do have a decent website HondaHills.com

They really need to release some track update information and maybe some pic's.
I was eyeballing around back on the open ride day Aug 13th, and couldn't really tell where they were going to have a start gate, or if they even had one?
And then there's the curiosity about what they were going to do with that rhythm section up on top, that half of the riders simply bypass because so few can jump through, and not even that easy to roll through?

Aside from tapping through their facebook for information, they do have a decent website HondaHills.com

I was eyeballing around back on the open ride day Aug 13th, and couldn't really tell where they were going to have a start gate, or if they even had one?
And then there's the curiosity about what they were going to do with that rhythm section up on top, that half of the riders simply bypass because so few can jump through, and not even that easy to roll through?
We will expect a full post race report NQ1965.

I rode out there Saturday and popped in to take a peek. Not to disclose anything ahead of it's time, but they do have a starting gate in place. You'll never guess where it is. I also saw them working on the lower section entrance/area. Guess we'll all be surprised together... ???

The website is pretty cool and they have a soundbite of what I assume is the radio advertisement for the weekend, but I haven't heard it on the radio that I know of....

Up at 5:30am this morning, a big drenching storm cell made its way through the area (including HH track). I studied the radar for half hour to see how much more was on its way. Two weeks ago, while open riding at Honda Hills I was thankful that I didn't have a new tire on the back as it would have gotten chewed up in the hardpack clay and rocks. This morning I knew that I wasn't going to have a sharp enough tire to get up the hills. So as much as I hated it, we bailed on racing.

We did go out at noon and watched the start of 2nd set of moto's. I will say that I was quite impressed with all of the work and track changes they made. I also think they would also greatly benefit if they could get it communicated out to the riding public, and I understand when they're out there physically getting it all done, not easy making time to do the promotion work as well.
Unfortunately, the turn-out was very low. We also talked with a couple Vet riders, they appeared to have quite a few long distance out of state Vet racers there this weekend. We were also told that they are being given another race date for this year to make up for the hit due to the weather.

So..... Hat's off to the Honda Hills crew for their hard work. And it definitely shows that they are paying attention and listening to the rider's feedback.

Last edited:
Back