Suspension setup

Hi guys, Ive been out of the game for a while, now after 15 years I'm back in and bought a new bike. Anyways, who should I go to for my suspension setup? Things have changed since my race days and I'm just not sure what suspension guru to go through. Thanks in advance!

Hi guys, Ive been out of the game for a while, now after 15 years I'm back in and bought a new bike. Anyways, who should I go to for my suspension setup? Things have changed since my race days and I'm just not sure what suspension guru to go through. Thanks in advance!
Shane at PR2

Everyone has "their Guy". I have a question for ya'll. Have you went from one suspension tech to another suspension tech and had better or worse results? Three different places have done mine over the years and to be honest, I cant tell the difference between them. Both far better than stock and I've been pleased with both. SO what makes you go here or there? Support? Knowledge? Hearsay?

Everyone has "their Guy". I have a question for ya'll. Have you went from one suspension tech to another suspension tech and had better or worse results? Three different places have done mine over the years and to be honest, I cant tell the difference between them. Both far better than stock and I've been pleased with both. SO what makes you go here or there? Support? Knowledge? Hearsay?
I have dealt with 5 different companies. Currently I use SRS.

The reason I left each one were different. But I can tell you that SRS is where I have been because they have all the good qualities combined that each of the other only had certain ones.

Example, if you set up your bike and the race sag is off compared to your static sag you have the wrong spring. If the suspension company set it up for you, they owe you a spring. One company charged me for 3 different spring before we got the right one. And this was after they told me to ride it once first then said the spring was used.

Some companies will tweak the valving for free one or two times, some won't.

Some companies will let you wait while they do the job of its am emergency, dome won't.

Some companies are at the track and can visually watch your bike and help with setup for free once you've used them (and some even when you havent) or even send them a video.

Some companies listen to your feedback, take into account your stuff they see in action and your increasing ability to log what changes are needed the next time you need valving.

All important things to take into consideration.

The reason I left each one were different. But I can tell you that SRS is where I have been because they have all the good qualities combined that each of the other only had certain ones.

Example, if you set up your bike and the race sag is off compared to your static sag you have the wrong spring. If the suspension company set it up for you, they owe you a spring. One company charged me for 3 different spring before we got the right one. And this was after they told me to ride it once first then said the spring was used.

Some companies will let you wait while they do the job of its am emergency, dome won't.

Some companies are at the track and can visually watch your bike and help with setup for free once you've used them (and some even when you havent) or even send them a video.

Some companies listen to your feedback, take into account your stuff they see in action and your increasing ability to log what changes are needed the next time you need valving.

Very well said. All those factors into consideration, did you feel like your suspension worked "better" with one over the other? I am really thinking about SRS just because of the location and he is always at the tracks i ride. I like my current setup and guy but he is 2+ hrs away and I dont feel like im always making the right tweaks when needed.

Thank you for the kind words David! It really goes back to my own personal experience years ago when I was younger and racing. I always had good suspension, but didn’t have a clue how to tune it. I would get extremely frustrated with trying to make adjustments. The gentleman who did my stuff was an awesome guy, but was hard to get a hold of when I was at the track on a weekend (when I needed the help and the bikes characteristics were fresh in my mind). When I would call during the week, it was hard to explain over the ph what the bike was doing. Also, not as easy to share a video of myself on the track in those days. Thank you Lord for smart ph’s!!! I made myself a pledge when originally venturing down this career of suspension that I would make myself available to others so that they wouldn’t have to deal with the frustrations I did. I try to make it to as many races a year as I can to assist folks with their stuff and also am prompt to return any missed calls, if I couldn’t answer the phone when the customer originally called. I also try to be impartial with folks who don’t also have our stuff on their machine. There are a lot of good companies out there who also do suspension, but may not have a trackside support entity or make themselves available beyond the 9-5. I’ve told folks before and will continue to tell folks; it goes back to what our parents told us when we were younger, “treat others as you would want to be treated”. Pretty dang simple!

Very well said. All those factors into consideration, did you feel like your suspension worked "better" with one over the other? I am really thinking about SRS just because of the location and he is always at the tracks i ride. I like my current setup and guy but he is 2+ hrs away and I dont feel like im always making the right tweaks when needed.
All but one had my stuff working pretty good. One very local to me company was terrible and were the ones that kept charging me for springs they recommended but weren't right. This was the 2nd bike I did with them, the first was good. So who knows.

SRS has been the best feeling mainly because they have always listened and helped make all those minor adjustments needed to make it really good. Travis will help anytime he is awake...almost to a fault for himself. Lol

They do my sons bikes too, he loves the feel.

Back