Battle for Ohio! What’s next

Toddco327

PR Addict
In between High Point (6/17) and Red Bud (7/1) would be a great time for a big money pro purse some where in Ohio. Someone schedule it. $25,000 purse would draw some riders.
Someone once told me “you pay pros to race… they don’t pay you”

Having a one off race is a great idea. But what’s the cost to profit reward. What is the long term idea that will draw riders as well as benefit the tracks?

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
In between High Point (6/17) and Red Bud (7/1) would be a great time for a big money pro purse some where in Ohio. Someone schedule it. $25,000 purse would draw some riders.
How much can we count on from the Caupp Foundation? I see it like this, if you are extremely lucky you might know someone to kick in half that money, maybe. Your on the hook for the other half. So you are using the purse as bait. And the bait only works if the weather is good. I mean you really need to attract spectators. If you were to advertise a 25k purse to general public, does that sound enticing to to people that think "cool, dirtbikes"? I dont think 25k is enticing enough to make it must see for the public. Its a lot to you and I because we know what it normally is. Very risky. Cool, but risky. Its above my level. That's high roller Chillitown deal there.

Scoob

PR Founding Father
Whenever it is, Scoob is maybe in, not sure, we'll see. Depends, hopefully. If not then next one for sure.
That it is...sucks being me sometimes...lol. You always know what I want to do, just never sure what I actually will do...haha

hershey

PR Elite
How much can we count on from the Caupp Foundation? I see it like this, if you are extremely lucky you might know someone to kick in half that money, maybe. Your on the hook for the other half. So you are using the purse as bait. And the bait only works if the weather is good. I mean you really need to attract spectators. If you were to advertise a 25k purse to general public, does that sound enticing to to people that think "cool, dirtbikes"? I dont think 25k is enticing enough to make it must see for the public. Its a lot to you and I because we know what it normally is. Very risky. Cool, but risky. Its above my level. That's high roller Chillitown deal there.
Isn't the point to get enough places to sponsor the pro purse to cover it? Just have to be a salesman and put in the work starting a year ahead of time.

That's a promoters job isn't it, to promote races? Just advertising " hey I'm having a race at my track" really doesn't cover it any more. Look at MERP, Jack is a fantastic promoter. First year, 4 races and he had larger turnouts than a BC Battle race ! Bahaha

MX315

PR Addict
We need a pit bike grass race series …For the old dudes who think they can ride but don’t. No pro purse,Maybe a bar b q and drinks after each event. Thinking like a Friday night series at malvern …then sleep over and pro-practice and watch some Moto next day. One can only dream ! Hahahaha

Toddco327

PR Addict
So basically your paying the pros…. They aren’t paying you. As Jeremy said your trying to use the bait to bring more people in. Only problem is the bait is only for 30 of the 850 you would want to bring in.

Not knocking the races. But on average a pro is going to bring 1 other person with them. But a 65cc family is bringing 3 or more people to the race. Just basic math. Why pay 25k to get 30 riders and a total of maybe 60 people in the gates. Entice the families that bring in 4x as many people among 12 different classes.

Pros can be a driver for people to come but it’s not something I’d bet the farm on making my year.

Last edited:

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
Isn't the point to get enough places to sponsor the pro purse to cover it? Just have to be a salesman and put in the work starting a year ahead of time.

That's a promoters job isn't it, to promote races? Just advertising " hey I'm having a race at my track" really doesn't cover it any more. Look at MERP, Jack is a fantastic promoter. First year, 4 races and he had larger turnouts than a BC Battle race ! Bahaha
There are mediocre faircross races that can boast that this year!!

kawi330

PR Member
You see chillitown when noren was there. Never seen so many fast locals they will come. Big pro race definitely brings other racers. Back in the day they would have these pro days at oir and it brought all pros and other entries always was at 500 plus entries. People will donate for the purse like they did for women's class a week ago.

John250

PR Founding Father
You see chillitown when noren was there. Never seen so many fast locals they will come. Big pro race definitely brings other racers. Back in the day they would have these pro days at oir and it brought all pros and other entries always was at 500 plus entries. People will donate for the purse like they did for women's class a week ago.
I think CTMX should make their Chilitown Classic the weekend before red Bud and after High Point. Try to catch some of those riders the last weekend of June. People are on FB complaining that they will be racing regionals that week. He would lose less kids because of regionals than if he tries to run that race when they are in school.